+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 622297 times)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #660 on: 04 Feb 2011, 02:01:43 am »
That planned Wednesday outage was supposed to last about 1.5 hours, this one is getting close to 3 hours. And although the downloads fell quickly they didn't just cut off so my guess is the download servers are also working but are idle because nobody can request work from the Scheduler. And the BOINC home page, etc. are working, so I think the hope this is a reschedule of the Wednesday outage is ruled out.

Jeff's an early riser, if it can be fixed by a remote kick I'd expect either someone will do so soon or Jeff will when he gets up. Then the first campus shuttle bus arrives at the lab before 8 am...
                                                                                             Joe

msattler

« Reply #661 on: 04 Feb 2011, 02:06:00 am »
That planned Wednesday outage was supposed to last about 1.5 hours, this one is getting close to 3 hours. And although the downloads fell quickly they didn't just cut off so my guess is the download servers are also working but are idle because nobody can request work from the Scheduler. And the BOINC home page, etc. are working, so I think the hope this is a reschedule of the Wednesday outage is ruled out.

Jeff's an early riser, if it can be fixed by a remote kick I'd expect either someone will do so soon or Jeff will when he gets up. Then the first campus shuttle bus arrives at the lab before 8 am...
                                                                                             Joe
Well, we wait 'till the 'morrow then, eh?

Meow meow.

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #662 on: 04 Feb 2011, 05:14:19 am »
That planned Wednesday outage was supposed to last about 1.5 hours, this one is getting close to 3 hours. And although the downloads fell quickly they didn't just cut off so my guess is the download servers are also working but are idle because nobody can request work from the Scheduler...
                                                                                              Joe

When I first looked this morning, every machine was backed up on uploads, so I assumed they were included in the general breakage. But the upload line on Cricket is normal, so I retried - and all uploads went through at the first attempt. Must have been a transient for that server, at least.

But the drop-off in downloads was much, much sharper than it was when the scheduler was switched off for Tuesday's maintenance, and I have two downloads stuck, not responding to retries. So I suspect some common factor has taken out the website, scheduler and download server - but it's server, not comms, related because of the uploads working.

Correction - the scheduler's OK, those uploads have just reported (though no new tasks - "no tasks available"). So it's just the website and downloads broken (plus an unknown amount of back-end, of course)
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2011, 05:19:15 am by Richard Haselgrove »

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #663 on: 04 Feb 2011, 05:31:43 am »
I've got 3 Astropulse resends since the outage started @ 08:41:46 and 08:46:57, but can't download, my reported work results increases my total credit,
Seti Beta uploads aren't going through eithier, althrough the scheduler is working there,

Claggy

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #664 on: 04 Feb 2011, 06:41:15 am »
And now I've got a MB task, scheduled but not downloaded. Just one, and likewise a resend. People were moaning about the splitters being off last night, and at one stage I saw, not only were the splitters red (ran out of tapes), but most of the back end was orange ('men at work'). Maybe they forget to clip something back on when they'd finished? (or only half clipped it, since it lasted until 8 pm before falling off ;D)

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #665 on: 04 Feb 2011, 07:41:43 am »
No problems with uploading tasks, last was uploaded 15 minutes ago, probably the only thing that works OK, since I've a boat-load of  MB 6.03 and CUDA,
also AP WU's, downloaded just 30 minutes ahead of the UPLoads!
Only I can't reach the SETI Main Page, so Data Driven Webpages are offline, too. Hope it can be fixed if some one has the time to come in and look
what's going on . Or isn't  :-\

« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2011, 07:50:31 am by Fredericx51 »

Offline ML1

• Porting Team
  • Squire
« Reply #666 on: 04 Feb 2011, 08:11:31 am »
... Only I can't reach the SETI Main Page, so Data Driven Webpages are offline, too. Hope it can be fixed if some one has the time to come in and look
what's going on . Or isn't  :-\

SSL site-wide planned outage for cable work, beyond s@h's control. Supposed to be just an hour or so outage. Then again, for external work, who knows?...

Cheers,
Martin

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #667 on: 04 Feb 2011, 08:16:16 am »
SSL site-wide planned outage for cable work, beyond s@h's control. Supposed to be just an hour or so outage. Then again, for external work, who knows?...

Then why would uploads be working? And the whole of BOINC - message boards and Wiki? That's at SSL, too.

No, you'll have to look for an alternative explanation, Martin - sorry :'(

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #668 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:03:06 am »
New info at BOINC / projects:

Quote from: Gary Charpentier
Seti Down, likely through the weekend. Gowron d/l fileserver has failed.

IIRC, Gowron is the big Network Attached Storage device holding all six million workunit files for the work in progress. And also IIRC, it's a bugger to reboot and resync after a failure. "Through the weekend" sounds realistic.

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #669 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:15:45 am »
Appologies for being off topic.......................

Anyone have a place I can download  BoincView v1.4.2???
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #670 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:26:18 am »

Anyone have a place I can download  BoincView v1.4.2???

I still have the original .zip download - PM me an email address, and I'll send it over. Unless the powers-that-be are prepared to sanction a 936 KB attachment here?

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #671 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:30:47 am »
Seti germany hold a copy at http://www.seti-germany.de/wiki/BoincView - google is your friend ;) [especially if it's set to Germany ;D]
The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
« Reply #672 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:33:57 am »

Anyone have a place I can download  BoincView v1.4.2???
I found it on some site called the core. Rehosting on my site.
http://www.arkayn.us/seti/boincview_1_4_2.zip

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #673 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:55:39 am »
rac is dropping quick even though i've been able to upload and report, seems something is wrong with the rig which grants credit.

msattler

« Reply #674 on: 04 Feb 2011, 11:19:44 am »
Oh my.........
Still down for the count.
Well, it's nigh on 8:30am in Berkeley.  One of the boyz should be ready for coffee any time now.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672