+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 586698 times)

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #615 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:41:42 am »
Both SETI and BETA are unreachable, the download servers do respond though.

Looks like mysql crashed again.

Something certainly failed, but one of my hosts was assigned a few reissues about 25 minutes after your post so the database was active then. Another host couldn't get the master file two hours earlier and again very recently, so it may just be whatever server has the non-data-dependent web duties.
                                                                                     Joe

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #616 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:19:43 am »
Both SETI and BETA are unreachable, the download servers do respond though.

Looks like mysql crashed again.

Something certainly failed, but one of my hosts was assigned a few reissues about 25 minutes after your post so the database was active then. Another host couldn't get the master file two hours earlier and again very recently, so it may just be whatever server has the non-data-dependent web duties.
                                                                                     Joe

And still not a single sign, maybe swapping hardware already............?

Offline Purple Rabbit

• Squire
« Reply #617 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:28:53 pm »

That was my first thought when everything disappeared. My money is on rampant bit rot though  :)

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #618 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:44:59 pm »

That was my first thought when everything disappeared. My money is on rampant bit rot though  :)

Got to agree with purple rabbit on that one. I really doubt anyone was in swapping things around on a Sunday night. Though whatever broke just might get replaced today. Things keep breaking this way we may get the new servers running a lot sooner than planned out of pure desperation.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #619 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:47:25 pm »
New message from Matt over in tech news..  http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=62094  Thumper and Marvin decided to take some time off. Mork has now been turned off, maybe for good and Carolyn is now the only MySQL replica. They are getting Oscar ready but it looks like it will be after Thanksgiving before it gets going. Won't be long now!

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #620 on: 29 Nov 2010, 11:14:12 am »
OK. I've re-enabled Einstein work fetching on the machines which can handle it, and I'll disable it when the first Seti units are distributed again (or I read about the servers coming up and work going out here ;)).

Thanks for the info!

Regards, Patrick.

You might be able to automate the process. Try setting Einstein resource share to zero, SETI to any number but zero. BOINC says the result is Einstein will only request work if projects set to non-zero run out of work. Like SETI right now. I'm using zero on PrimeGrid. Seems to work. Both SETI and MW@H had/have trouble getting WU out. PrimeGrid is filling in.

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #621 on: 29 Nov 2010, 01:10:59 pm »
OK. I've re-enabled Einstein work fetching on the machines which can handle it, and I'll disable it when the first Seti units are distributed again (or I read about the servers coming up and work going out here ;)).

Thanks for the info!

Regards, Patrick.

You might be able to automate the process. Try setting Einstein resource share to zero, SETI to any number but zero. BOINC says the result is Einstein will only request work if projects set to non-zero run out of work. Like SETI right now. I'm using zero on PrimeGrid. Seems to work. Both SETI and MW@H had/have trouble getting WU out. PrimeGrid is filling in.

Interesting, didn't know about that. I have set the workshare distribution to 100 for seti, and 10 for Einstein, so Einstein isn't getting too much work, even if seti does nothing.

But this solution certainly sounds very nifty.

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #622 on: 07 Dec 2010, 04:34:18 pm »
Do we have usual database backup now or something goes wrong with splitters enabling?

Offline SubSpace

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #623 on: 07 Dec 2010, 05:43:49 pm »
It seems the project comes to life  :)

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #624 on: 08 Dec 2010, 03:08:10 pm »
I'm sure everybody already noticed this a long time ago, but my main rig just downloaded a boatload of WUs for Seti@Home...

Seems the project's back!?

Regards, Patrick.

msattler

« Reply #625 on: 09 Dec 2010, 12:26:45 pm »
OH YEAH!!!

Back in a big way with the new servers Oscar and Carolyn on duty.
Matt is playing with the settings getting things ramped up to full speed.
So far, so good.

Meowza!

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #626 on: 09 Dec 2010, 04:17:03 pm »
But the question remains, will these two beasties be sufficient for guys in the lab to drop the 3-day outages?

Offline VoidPilot

• Squire
« Reply #627 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:41:42 am »

only time will tell ... personally i think the 3 day outage was their biggest mistake yet

msattler

« Reply #628 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:00:45 am »

only time will tell ... personally i think the 3 day outage was their biggest mistake yet
I don't think it was a mistake........
Some folks have been hammering them for a long time to show and tell some real scientific results from the work we have all been donating for years.
And with the hardware they had to work with, along with the problems they were having just keeping daily opps going because of it, they simply needed to extend the downtime to have enough computer resources available to do some of the scientific work they wanted to accomplish.

I am hoping when the new servers are fully configured and tweaked, this may no longer be necessary.

Meow.

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #629 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:13:59 am »

I would agree!  I believe the three day outage caused too much server/network congestion and was causing work units to get lost and as a result the size of the database got out of had.  This was probably made worse since they don't know what they are doing and can’t afford to hire a real engineer.

The servers which were replaced tested to be fine, they should configure them to run nitpicker 24/7.

I’m sure you all will come running to their defense and flame me, but this is what I believe.  I've also reduced my cache to 5 days.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672