+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 614677 times)

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #555 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:05:05 am »

so you think the last work unit will need to be reissued 9 times before credit is given!!!???!!!

Yes, at least that many times!

Have a look at the Einstein server status page. The current run (S5GC1) has been ongoing for the last 172 days, but there are still 206 tasks (64 workunits) from the previous S5GCE run still outstanding. Einstein tasks have 14 day deadlines, but even allowing for a typical 6-day delay between task (re-)generation and issue to a volunteer, 172 days is still at least 8 time-out/resend cycles.

I think those of us who pride ourselves on efficient and timely processing of the work projects ask us to compute for them, forget that there is a far larger number of non-obsessives who receive, but do not return, that work. Given the numbers involved, it really does take that long to eliminate the asymptotic tail.

msattler

« Reply #556 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:05:45 pm »
Just posted on the home page.......a very lengthy process.
Would be surprised if they come back up today.

Status, Oct 26, 2010
We are now doing very careful (and time consuming) table checks on the entire database. 26 Oct 2010 18:00:02 UTC

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #557 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:51:41 pm »
You're doing better than me then, Mark.

I can only get the 'Project is down for maintenance' page on the website...

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #558 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:49:08 pm »
Giz,
They posted that on the home page. I can also still get to the server status page but I don't know how up to date it is. Master data base shows as 49 hours ago and some of the others are showing 50 hours ago. I agree with Mark, it is very doubtful that they will be up today. I'm not really sure we will even see them tomorrow. I've still got 26 GPU tasks to finish but a lot of them are shorties so I will be completely dry tonight. I'm already out of CPU tasks but I figure I wont reschedule any as I would just run out that much sooner. I'll just let my computer rest until they send me something. I hope they start off with a ghost resend, I've got about 30 of them I'd like to get rid of.

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #559 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:51:08 pm »
Hi Perryjay,

I've had nothing since the weekend. Waiting patiently for anything to happen. I flushed the DNS cache, and can still only get the Project is down page. No home page or server status page.
I guess with Mork being so unreliable, Jocelyn will take 2-3 times as long to process the database table checks.

Thanks for the info anyway.

I guess I'll have to go back and kill a few more mutants in 'Shadow Of Chernobyl', and shut it down when I go to bed - I'll save a bit of Electricity instead.

Giz.

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #560 on: 26 Oct 2010, 04:59:04 pm »
Must be mad, I'm replying to myself  :D

Finally got the home page up and the server status page, not that they mean much at the moment.

Just keep waitin' guys...

msattler

« Reply #561 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:07:24 am »
Well......
At the end of their day today, the boyz will still waiting for some database recovery operations to complete.
Untill they do, a complete backup cannot be done.  Hopefully the database finishes sorting overnight, and they can backup and restart tomorrow.
But, you know how things have been going lately.

Wish 'em luck, my friends.

Meow meow.

msattler

« Reply #562 on: 27 Oct 2010, 02:33:51 am »
Kinda funny side note........
Have shut down all but a few of the slower rigs that still have a bit of work to crunch.
Kinda cool and quiet in the crunching den.

One of my kitties, Tigger II, has been slowly pacing back and forth listening to some of the sounds the remaining rigs are making.  Sounds which are covered up by the general din when everything is going full bore.

I always told you the kitties help me keep an eye on things........LOL.

Meow meow.

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #563 on: 27 Oct 2010, 10:01:24 am »
i doubt both servers (hardware) are bad and am glad they are starting to at the database.  my estimated estimated up time is Friday, down time is Saturday; hope i'm wrong!

the Powers that be said they ran three or so loops of memtest, which i don't find as thorough as vistas memory checker.  now don't get me wrong, if memtest finds a error it is a error; it just don't push as hard as vista's memory checker and vista's memory checker will find problems when memtest don't.  how about running pi or something, the funny thing is i usually use seti to do my stability tests:P

Offline Cosmic_Ocean

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #564 on: 27 Oct 2010, 11:30:05 am »
They're using Linux distros.. not windows.  That's why they can't use Vista's memory checker..or super pi and the like.  Granted, they could probably use wine, but realistically, memtest does well enough.

However, as I just experience with one of my rigs two weeks ago.. running memtest was not able to diagnose a problem I was having.  It would run memtest for hours and hours and be just fine, but as soon as you put a load on the CPU..instant power-off.  Five bad caps along the side of the CPU socket.  $4 ebay auction and a soldering iron and problem solved.

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #565 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:01:42 pm »
Didn't realise that there were still motherboards out there suffering from 'BAD CAPS' still. Last board I had fail with that was an old Gigabyte one, back when I was running an Athlon XP CPU.

Unfortunately I didn't have the equipment at home to replace them, and it gave me an excuse to upgrade the system.

Glad you got yours sorted though!  :)

[edit] They probably wouldn't go to the trouble to install/setup wine, just to run vista memory checker, even if they have a copy of vista lying around, which they probably don't! I've never had a problem with memtest, but I normally use memtest+ now, which can be run off a bootable cd/usb stick. I've never tried to run it off a bootable memstick though. [/edit]
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2010, 01:08:02 pm by Gizbar »

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #566 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:58:40 pm »
A front page update, for those suffering withdrawal symptoms:

Status, Oct 27, 2010
The database is being backed up now. When that has completed, we can bring the web site and forums up.
27 Oct 2010 19:32:23 UTC

Offline Cosmic_Ocean

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #567 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:04:18 pm »
Didn't realise that there were still motherboards out there suffering from 'BAD CAPS' still. Last board I had fail with that was an old Gigabyte one, back when I was running an Athlon XP CPU.

Well it's not a ridiculously old board.. only two generations old.  It's a K8, but it's a socket 754 board.  I got it almost four years ago just before newegg quit selling s754 boards.  Needed an office workstation, so $300 in parts built an entire machine.

Newer boards still have caps, but they're the small compact ones, and the high quality Japanese caps that basically don't ever go bad, so "bad cap" replacement is likely nowhere near common anymore.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #568 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:54:29 pm »
Forums online now :)

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #569 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:57:46 pm »