+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 586007 times)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #345 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:24:01 pm »
Hm, correct data analysis requires some appropriate knowledge and education first. Interpretation of recived result - too. So I don't think that "process data as you wish" will give anything good unless professional radio-astronom will guide algorithm development.
[And while I'm interesting astronomy I'm not astronom, think others too ;) ]

Offline Frizz

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #346 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:02:11 am »
Unfortunately it's not working the other way round either (only scientists - no IT guys). We are getting close to a 24/7 downtime with S@H (3 days planned outage + 4 days unplanned outage)  ;D
Please stop using this 1366x768 glare displays: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153240404724993

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #347 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:00:43 pm »
Looks like SETI is taking a long weekend off!  :'(  This from Jeff Cobb in the News...

Reality got a little ahead of us on this one. We were days, a week tops, away from migrating
upload service from bruno to bambi. This will double our upload space and allow us to turn
off bruno.

We will now move this up and make it top priority come Monday. We need to reconfigure
the raid on bambi and then let the raid sync. At that point we can both turn the projects
on and start migrating the results from bruno to bambi. We hope that this will be early in
the week. We'll then leave the projects on through next weekend, ie no normal 3 day outage.

msattler

« Reply #348 on: 26 Sep 2010, 07:22:35 am »
Is it just me, or is anybody else really pumped up about the future of the Seti project?

They are reorganizing their server structure to move forward with the introduction of Oscar, and things are just moving in SUCH a positive direction lately.
A few more weeks, and this is gonna be a whole new Seti.

The kitties and I are sooooooooooo excited about this, I just can't tell ya.

Meow meow meow!!

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #349 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
Somebody must be in the lab playing around!! I just now got this message
Unable to connect to database - please try again later Error: 2013Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 113

And Yes Mark, I really am excited to see all the new things going on.

msattler

« Reply #350 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
Somebody must be in the lab playing around!! I just now got this message
Unable to connect to database - please try again later Error: 2013Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 113

And Yes Mark, I really am excited to see all the new things going on.
Just got the 'project is down' page when trying the forums......
So something is afoot.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #351 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:23:21 pm »
Hate when they do that just as I am ready to hit the reply button in a thread.   :D

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #352 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:40:41 pm »
Been trying to get work for my updated rig all weekend. Updated it to Win7-64HP, same as my main rig, updated Boinc version to 6.10.58, and then to the latest Lunatic's build. First it was telling me that it wasn't connected to a project, but that it was using the preferences from Seti anyway. In the end I had to blank the partition that Boinc sits on, and re-install from scratch. I suspect that I'll get a whole new machine ID for it, when I can get some work for it. Then just now went to check on Seti on my main rig, and found that the whole lot seems to be down. I know it'll be worth it in the end, but I'm just a bit frustrated as I've got a whole rig sitting doing nothing at the moment.

P.S. I didn't trash any work either. I ran the cache dry before the re-install.

regards, Giz.

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #353 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:03:15 pm »

Not only Spare CPU cycles, but this is the other way around,  IMO, whitout the last Donation Drive, SERVER problems would keep the project from funtioning as it should...........
But it appears to be much worse, more Down -Time then UP-Time, last week !?  IMO, SETI lacks serious steady funding, but that's also a
political matter and thus not an easy one to 'solve'.

Are there just  too much (heavy=CUDA/CAL) crunchers, or just too much computers hammering on the continued (DDOS-like) overloaded SERVER's.
Doesn't SETI have more then a MILLION hosts connected, or is that BOINC all together, with over 2 million hosts.

Looks like, at least SETI, has become too big for it's  'clothing', it has grown and needs a new 'jacket' ..............
Well,  just my 2 (Euro) cents.

msattler

« Reply #354 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
If the info posted in the forums while they were still up holds true, it's looking like work is not gonna be available until Tuesday or so.
Unless the server shuffle goes better than they expected, but Jeff indicated it was going to be a lengthy process.
A bit of a pain in the behind, but a necessary process to get the servers reassigned.

Offline Gizbar

• Squire
« Reply #355 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:02:25 am »
That is a pain  :(

Will probably be out of work on both rigs by then.

Those servers are gonna get hit so hard when they finally bring them back on line.

Hmmm, I love the smell of burned ethernet in the morning!

Giz

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #356 on: 27 Sep 2010, 04:16:18 am »
Two rigs (Q6600's) are already out of SETI work, 1 still tries to UPLoad to SETI Bêta, but it's down, too.
Only my XP64 has a few MB and 1 AstroPulse task, looks like they are swapping SERVERs around or the
A/C-Unit,  is on 'strike'..............
Could indeed be tuesday or with some luck this afternoon, Berkeley time....... ::)

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #357 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:03:10 am »
They may have more work than they expected today. The MYSQL server (Mork) went down yesterday too. That's why we can't get to the message boards. I don't know how that is going to effect things as far as getting it up and running but I still don't hold out much hope for today. I still think we will be lucky if they get it up  by tomorrow.

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #358 on: 27 Sep 2010, 11:51:57 am »
I wonder if things would be better if we had planned outages every other week? Would the science suffer in this case?

msattler

« Reply #359 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:23:00 pm »
I wonder if things would be better if we had planned outages every other week? Would the science suffer in this case?
Well, the whole setup is gonna change over the next month or so as they shuffle and retire some of the troublesome servers, as well as the addition of the new, more powerful server that is coming in the next few weeks.
Once all that is in place, we will all have to cross our fingers and hold our collective breaths that we will have a stronger, more reliable Seti project.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672