+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 585831 times)

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #225 on: 30 Jul 2010, 05:49:41 am »
I assume they just kept the upload/download on a bit longer this time round, and took them down on Wednesday.
To me completelt untutored eye this looks like a database crash (or the respective server hasn't rebooted or something)
An outage within an outage...
it was down already at 5 UTC, and i doubt we see any fixes before they come in this morning (ok that's like 15 UTC usually...) - and then they have to figure out the problem first...

Edit: I'm getting both error messages on the same connetction ;)
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2010, 06:04:39 am by Miep »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Offline Fredericx51

• Knight o' The Round Table
  • Knight Who Says Ni N!
« Reply #226 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:16:01 am »
You can say, an outage whithin an outage, for sure, remember a post made by Matt, I think, Mork had some
trouble with 'this' before.
And quite sure that it is a Database Crash, after reading those messages.  :o

There should be an exception to Moore's law, every 18 month's, hardware is prone to 'whatever failiar is possible' and
thus will happen.
(One of my MoBo's fails, it looks like the Voltage Regulator isn't  working, -12V is missing) PSU is O.K.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2010, 06:26:37 am by Fredericx51 »

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #227 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:43:47 am »
If this page is official I wouldn't mind a short twitt of the problem :)

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #228 on: 30 Jul 2010, 09:24:16 am »
OK, they have to get to work first (always forget about the time difference :) ). Seems things are worked on now.

Offline The Grinch

• Knight o' The Realm
    • www.Au-Ja.de
« Reply #229 on: 05 Aug 2010, 10:38:37 am »
Whats up on seti-Server?
The normal outage isn't it ..

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #230 on: 05 Aug 2010, 11:05:08 am »
Afraid so. I think they had to hide the new outage schedule thread (was slowing everything down), but there is still a note on the homepage.

Anyway for the forseeable future SETI will be down Tuesday morning to Thursday afternoon (or Friday morning more likely) (PDT of course) to alllow them to use the machines for science - can't effectively access the database while it's being filled!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions

msattler

« Reply #231 on: 07 Aug 2010, 08:21:38 pm »
Well, there I was......
Trying to explain 'Springtime for Hitler' to a bunch of close-minded neophites.......
And they whacked me again. 

Mel was just really having a go at the Hitler youth.  It WAS funny......
He was not praising him for what he did.

So, after my $7000.00 fund raising drive last night, I am locked out again.

You would think I would learn something from this abuse................

Pfffffffffffft.

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #232 on: 07 Aug 2010, 10:47:08 pm »
Mark.....................

You are the single most successful fund raiser for Seti that is NOT directly employed by the project.  You should be proud of the last effort, it really was very successful.

But..........I know that there are a lot of members that hate to see you locked out all the time, including myself.  You contribute so much to the project.  You are certainly old enough to know when you are being antagonistic on the boards and old enough to know better.  And that's all I'll say on the matter.
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #233 on: 08 Aug 2010, 10:57:47 am »
Hope it's not a long vacation Mark, we do miss you. Hurry back.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #234 on: 08 Aug 2010, 02:43:07 pm »
LoL, Sorry to laugh, but it all just reminded me of the fairly recent occasion I was modded & admonished by PM for using the word 'bastard' in a jocular context [Bastard : term of endearment in Australian slang  ::) as in 'How's it goin' ya bastard?'].  Didn't make much sense to me then, or now. ['Fair suck of the sav']

The wonderfully colourful local dialect of English/Australian  ['Ocker Lingo'] I do acknowledge isn't appropriate for the boards, but that particular word is pretty much the self censored  replacement for about two thirds of my vocabulary, so it was a bit like being told I wasn't wanted on the forums - which certainly brought me unhinged for a day or so, I got over it eventually. [ 'Was pretty ropeable, chucked a bit of a wobbly, went off like a frog in a sock']

I wouldn't place too much behind the apparent encroachment of uptight intolerance ['stinkin' yobboes, dry as a dead dingo's donger'] into an institution renowned for being so liberal ['Rip snorter of a joint'].  It seems to be some character trait needed for a role that nobody wants for long, some kind of irrepressible overeagerness to enforce one's own interpretation of 'the rules' over and above consensus. ['Kangaroos in the top Paddock' if ya asked me.]

Well done with the server thingy  ;D
['Ripper effort on the doovalaky moight']

Jason

[Edit:] Localised translations added [].
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2010, 04:21:56 pm by Jason G »

msattler

« Reply #235 on: 09 Aug 2010, 12:13:43 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts, Jason.
I'll try not to go off on a wobbly myself....LOL.

Offline BANZAI56

• Squire
« Reply #236 on: 09 Aug 2010, 11:53:55 pm »
But..........I know that there are a lot of members that hate to see you locked out all the time, including myself.  You contribute so much to the project.  You are certainly old enough to know when you are being antagonistic on the boards and old enough to know better. 

Hearty agreement to the first half, but for the latter part:  Is it Mark or the folks that wish to impose/perpetrate the hear no evil, see no evil (and God forbid), speak no evil mantra?

Not like it’s a group of adults, from all walks of life, that are used to questioning/talking about something if it doesn’t seem exactly right.  Most of our jobs depend on the ability to assess a situation (ie..ask questions) and then rapidly develop a plausible solution.  Mark often has the stones (& RAC) to quickly call a Spade a Spade.  He also appears to be on an extra short string for those mantra violations.

Then again, maybe I’m just an odd ball because I don’t have such politically correct thin skin…

rebest

« Reply #237 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
Hope it's not a long vacation Mark, we do miss you. Hurry back.

Hopefully, the formula for resolving forum bans is more forgiving than that of DCF.  :-\

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #238 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:40:32 am »
Not to change the subject but, did someone forget to throw the switch over at SETI ?  I see the web pages are still down today.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #239 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:00:07 am »
Not to change the subject but, did someone forget to throw the switch over at SETI ?  I see the web pages are still down today.

Either forgot or some server shuffling has started and the BOINC database isn't in shape to be used. With most of the database status showing "as of 21h" the latter seems fairly likely. I suppose in another hour or three somebody should be in the lab and checking how things went overnight.
                                                                                  Joe

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672