+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Seti is down again  (Read 585499 times)

Offline hiamps

• Knight o' The Round Table
    • Swans Candles and Supplies
Re: Seti is down again
« Reply #120 on: 17 Feb 2010, 02:06:15 am »
Thanks for the post h)`mps.....
Just got home from work and saw that they are still down....wonder how soon they can get the AC repairman to get the chill on again.

One rig out of Cuda work....sigh.
Just got my 3rd Cuda card going and have a couple days worth.

Offline Cosmic_Ocean

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #121 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:58:25 am »
Weird coincidence.  I had my first ever overheat on my main cruncher yesterday (Tuesday).  Took me a few minutes to figure out that it was an overheat and not my 21" CRT going out.  Was weird, I could ping the rig, and access the shares and read/write data to the disks, but it wouldn't respond to a momentary press of the power button, nor the keyboard sequence for a reboot/shutdown.  Ended up having to pull the plug.
Booted back up and both CPUs were over 60C, and that was after 3 minutes of nearly idle to boot back up.  I have all the settings set for an automatic shutdown at 65C, apparently it didn't do that.

So for the time being, I had to scale back to 50% of CPUs and put a box fan in the window since i4 is 30F outside.  Seems kind of...wrong to use a window A/C when it is 30F outside, you know?

Offline hiamps

« Reply #122 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:27:23 am »
Weird coincidence.  I had my first ever overheat on my main cruncher yesterday (Tuesday).  Took me a few minutes to figure out that it was an overheat and not my 21" CRT going out.  Was weird, I could ping the rig, and access the shares and read/write data to the disks, but it wouldn't respond to a momentary press of the power button, nor the keyboard sequence for a reboot/shutdown.  Ended up having to pull the plug.

Booted back up and both CPUs were over 60C, and that was after 3 minutes of nearly idle to boot back up.  I have all the settings set for an automatic shutdown at 65A, apparently it didn't do that.

So for the time being, I had to scale back to 50% of CPUs and put a box fan in the window since it is 30F outside.  Seems kind of...wrong to use a window A/C when it is 30F outside, you know?
May be a good time to clean dust bunnies...I blew my machine out yesterday with my air compressor. Running a lot cooler today.

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #123 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:37:37 am »
I wouldn't mind if there was an update on seti, it's about 13 hrs since they announced the temp shutdown.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #124 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:47:48 am »
I wouldn't mind if there was an update on seti, it's about 13 hrs since they announced the temp shutdown.
On their front page it says their Air Conditioning is down, they won't know more until the A/C tech gets there....

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
« Reply #125 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:52:47 am »
Remember that this happened around 8 PM last night and it is just coming up on 8AM there currently.

msattler

« Reply #126 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:15:36 pm »
Remember that this happened around 8 PM last night and it is just coming up on 8AM there currently.
Whatever happened to the Midnight AC dude?  LOL.
Hopefully it's just another leak in the system that they can repair quickly.  I am sure by now they have it being worked on.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #127 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:28:11 pm »
My bet is tomorrow morning at the earliest. Even once they get it running it will need time to cool everything down enough to start up again.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #128 on: 17 Feb 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
We're back!!! Still not uploading but at least it's running on the message boards.

Offline Cosmic_Ocean

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #129 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:23:20 pm »
May be a good time to clean dust bunnies...I blew my machine out yesterday with my air compressor. Running a lot cooler today.
That is usually the first thing to look at, but I just did that about two weeks ago, and after 6 months of heavy use, there was almost no dust on the heatsinks at all.  It was just the powdery kind of dust and not the hairy kind, even though I have two dogs and two cats.  The filtered 5-1/4 bay covers take care of all the hair.

Problem is that I have been using a 28-inch box fan for about two years, and had it positioned to suck all the heat from the exhaust fans and blow it out into the hallway, which is where the return for the central heat/air is.  Well that fan was about 12 years old and collectively over the years, I had put about 9 years of run-time on it, and the bushings started squeaking, so I took the motor apart and coated the surfaces with wheel bearing grease.  It worked for about two days, started squeaking again, and then just locked up.  So now I'm not pulling the heat out from behind the rig.

I was hoping having the window open with it being 30F outside would be enough, but apparently not.

msattler

« Reply #130 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:12:52 am »
Seti is up.......but still cannot upload or report a thing.

Cuda's running out of work....

Wish somebody could shed some light on this.

Offline JohnDK

• Squire
« Reply #131 on: 18 Feb 2010, 10:14:20 am »
Wish somebody could shed some light on this.
Like updating status on the seti front page :)

Offline Pappa

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #132 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:49:36 pm »
While I am moving things to the wifes Work Apartment (in and out).

I have been emailing Debug Logs to the Seti Folks in an a attempt to sort what is happening.

What I surmise:
There is an issue with the Scheduler, not sure if it was an upgrade after the shutdown.
There is an issue with Bruno, uploads. My older Boinc Core cleared first. My newer Boinc Cores are dead in the water.
Somewhere in this libcurl rears its ugly head again.

Off to loading for the trip in the morning.

Regards

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #133 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:14:54 pm »
While I am moving things to the wifes Work Apartment (in and out).

I have been emailing Debug Logs to the Seti Folks in an a attempt to sort what is happening.

What I surmise:
There is an issue with the Scheduler, not sure if it was an upgrade after the shutdown.
There is an issue with Bruno, uploads. My older Boinc Core cleared first. My newer Boinc Cores are dead in the water.
Somewhere in this libcurl rears its ugly head again.

Off to loading for the trip in the morning.

Regards

Pappa,

So far as I can see, you are solo 'backchannel' on this one. Ozzfan is keeping the lid on the whiskey bottle, and that's about it.

There are some very bad things being said about Hurricane Electric - false, from my observations with Wireshark. They need stomping.

Could we get a project statement, please? Eric, or you quoting Eric at the very least. Some sort of preliminary diagnosis, and an indication of the sub-components under suspicion? There are some extraordinary things being claimed of pathping in Technical News, and the main thing they display is that the posters have NO IDEA of the difference between a home claas C  and a full-blown datacentre LAN.

I repeat: this will start to get damaging unless the speculation and ignorance is replaced by project-derived facts asap.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #134 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:32:56 pm »
Also off on some errands ('helping' a friend who lost a hard drive, give it a decent burial, come to terms with his loss, and change his habits  ::) ).  I do have underutilised cisco knowledge/tickets if you need any wireshark / other operational characteristics verified from the opposite side of the globe.  On this side Packet loss varies from 0% per direct ping to Bruno, to 100%, which is just enough in combination to inhibit all uploads.

More speculation: The intermittent response reminds me of playing with frame relay congestion control (automatic discard, dependant on priorities and what bandwidth was paid for...) , which could indicate an 'exhausted' link somewhere in the paths. If the issue were to last, say, 'til the end of the month, then that's a possibility.

My p4 can attest that the problem is not merely with uploads though, since it did get some through last night, and was met with issues getting new work.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672