+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod  (Read 138372 times)

andreas

Re: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod
« Reply #240 on: 25 Feb 2009, 05:37:47 am »
This is replacement for CUDA part of V8 of my package. This build has VLAR autokill ability.
You need to decompress this file into SETI project directory (when BOINC switched off of course) if you don't want process VLAR on CUDA.

That is, if VLAR task goes to CPU app - it will be processed. If it goes to CUDA app - task will be aborted with error (BAD_HEADER).

EDIT: There was wrong file name  (.exe twice). Archive replaced, please, remove secondary .exe by renaming manually or download new archive.

Leopoldo,

if I get this correct, VLAR-killing should produce a different error (bad-header and not missing output file), so I'll hope Raistmer is right, and the problem is corrupted downloads.

Greatings to all Earthlings,
Andreas

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #241 on: 25 Feb 2009, 05:57:12 am »

if I get this correct, VLAR-killing should produce a different error (bad-header and not missing output file), so I'll hope Raistmer is right, and the problem is corrupted downloads.

Whenever there is an error (of any sort), no output file will be produced, and so BOINC will report that it is missing. If there were download iproblems, BOINC would be talking about missing input files.

Leopoldo

« Reply #242 on: 25 Feb 2009, 06:25:29 am »

Leopoldo,

VLAR-killed result is indicated as missing output file in BOINC Manager (the idea was to not pollute science database with incorrect results, so result file is deleted by mod).

Truth about result was VLAR-killed or not You can see in your result at SETI@Home Tasks page ("Your results" button in BOINC Manager) - there is leftmost link at line with every WU, which leads to page with result. Raistmer's VLAR-killing mod add info about killng.

andreas

« Reply #243 on: 25 Feb 2009, 06:44:02 am »

VLAR-killed result is indicated as missing output file in BOINC Manager (the idea was to not pollute science database with incorrect results, so result file is deleted by mod).

Truth about result was VLAR-killed or not You can see in your result at SETI@Home Tasks page ("Your results" button in BOINC Manager) - there is leftmost link at line with every WU, which leads to page with result. Raistmer's VLAR-killing mod add info about killng.

You were completly right:

"stderr out   

<core_client_version>6.4.5</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
 - exit code -6 (0xfffffffa)
</message>
<stderr_txt>

VLAR WU (AR: 0.008423 )detected... autokill initialised
SETI@home error -6 Bad workunit header

File: ..\seti_header.cpp
Line: 212

</stderr_txt>
]]>"

Thanks again,
Andreas

andreas

« Reply #244 on: 26 Feb 2009, 09:20:25 am »
Hi all,

the following questions may sound stupid to some, but I couldn't find answers to them with google:

How can I recognice a VLAR WU in my BOINC manager? I want to assign them to cpu manually while gpu is bu{y.

And what does the "name" of a WU tell me?

Greetings,
Andreas

Leopoldo

« Reply #245 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:46:15 am »
Hello, Andreas!

How can I recognice a VLAR WU in my BOINC manager? I want to assign them to cpu manually while gpu is bussy.

In BOINC Manager there is no column with particular characteristic of a workunit (because BM can control different projects, where workunits differs completely).

VLAR (Very Low Angle Range) workunits has true_angle_range<0.14 - IMHO these workunits were recorded when focal point of the radio telescope at Arecibo was tracking something in the sky during the recording period; "normal" workunits recorded without the tracking, so focal point moved in the sky with Earth rotation.

You can found VLARs with the help of outside tool like command script (published somethere at SETI@Home forum and named "findvlar.bat"). I changed that script (especially path to data folder) and using it:

@echo off
findstr "<true_angle_range>0\.1[0-3] <true_angle_range>0\.0 " "C:\Program Files\BOINC\Data\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu\*.*" > !VLAR!.txt
start !VLAR!.txt
exit

And what does the "name" of a WU tell me?

Naming system of SETI@Home workunits is described here: http://www.boinc-wiki.info/Work_Unit_Name_-_SETI@Home

andreas

« Reply #246 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:56:03 am »
Thanks for info Leopoldo,

Andreas

YukonTrooper

« Reply #247 on: 06 Mar 2009, 09:00:45 pm »
AP r103 is included as usually ! IT should work with AP too. But if you will have only AP tasks it will do NUMBER_OF_CORES+1 AP r103 and no CUDA MB. => GPU will be idle.
(AP r103 provided "as is" w/o any modifications, it will use CPU just as will do any another app from another CPU-only project as Einstein for example. I expect some issues only with another GPU-enabled projects. And some inefficiencies because of BOINC inability to pair projects. This VERY needed feature still missing! We need option to pair one project with another....
I will post beta-site variant in pre-release area. This one will not work on beta.

Does this mean I can put AP app in beta folder?  I have all files from the package in main folder only.  :-\

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #248 on: 07 Mar 2009, 04:50:28 am »

Does this mean I can put AP app in beta folder?  I have all files from the package in main folder only.  :-\

In general, you should not install optimised apps at SETI Beta - the aim of the project, after all, is to test SETI's own applications!

But when there are no new applications being tested, as at present, then it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep a (frequent) eye on http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/apps.php or the message boards, and be prepared to disable the optimised application quickly if SETI testing resumes. So no massive caches, please.

Having said that, no you can't just drop the AP packages into Beta. You'll be validating against Astropulse v5.01, so you should use r109 if you use anything at all. And the application name at Beta is still Astropulse, not Astropulse_v5, so you have some conversion work to do.

Mike O

« Reply #249 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:57:02 pm »
Heres a silly question (or maybe not?)
What part of the nVidia actually does the math. The cores or the Shaders?
I'm wondering if I need to overclock one the other or both. I am trying to get the max with out over heating my nVidia cards.
Any one know for sure?

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #250 on: 10 Mar 2009, 05:10:54 pm »
I'm wondering if I need to overclock one the other or both. I am trying to get the max with out over heating my nVidia cards.
Any one know for sure?

The engine core freq increase gave smallest speed increase so far. And very poor in OCing.
Memory give some speedup, need to be measured still (I still check upper memory freq OCing limit). It was reported on beta that shaders freq gives best speedup.

Mike O

« Reply #251 on: 10 Mar 2009, 05:52:47 pm »
Any one know for sure?

The engine core freq increase gave smallest speed increase so far. And very poor in OCing.
Memory give some speedup, need to be measured still (I still check upper memory freq OCing limit). It was reported on beta that shaders freq gives best speedup.

Thanks.. I'll kick the shaders up a bit and see if that works.
Thanks again for the hard work on these mods. They work well.

YukonTrooper

« Reply #252 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:27:23 am »
3/22/2009 2:42:47 PM|SETI@home|Message from server: Your app_info.xml file doesn't have a version of Astropulse v5.

Any ideas?  I can't get the modified AP apps to work.  I have four modified AK apps working, but four regular AP apps.  Also running the CUDA app for 9 process total (using i7).
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 02:30:40 am by YukonTrooper »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #253 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:38:51 am »
3/22/2009 2:42:47 PM|SETI@home|Message from server: Your app_info.xml file doesn't have a version of Astropulse v5.

Any ideas?  I can't get the modified AP apps to work.  I have four modified AK apps working, but four regular AP apps.  Also running the CUDA app for 9 process total (using i7).
Upgrade to V10 or take AP v5 section from V10 app_info file.

alollini

« Reply #254 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
Hello i use boinc v6.6.20 on windows xp pro sp2
cpu Q6600 with a gpu 9600 GSO 512 mb.
nvidia driver 18250
i downloaded the package Raistmer's_opt_package_V8_CPU_GPU_team.rar

with gpu number 1

with <ncpus>5</ncpus>

i run other projects along with seti on this host.

there is always 5 tasks running instead of 4, however i see no cuda running, i see only
setiathome_enhances_6.03 and only "running"

and by seeing my tasks, an average os 700 seconds for a seti block is norma cpu time.

(the 9600 gso should do it in approx 160-170 seconds)

gpu crunching is checked on the setiathome website preferences page.

I think that the correct cuda seti worker application was not downloaded.

how do i do that ?

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559