+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: SETI MB CUDA for Linux  (Read 391958 times)

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: SETI MB CUDA for Linux
« Reply #75 on: 25 Feb 2009, 05:22:30 am »
The credit difference is universal to all SETI CUDA applications - stock Windows as well. That goes back to the developers in Berkeley / nVidia - nothing to do with optimisations in general, or Linux in particular.

dtiger

« Reply #76 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:52:55 am »
The credits don't matter for me. I'm interesting in technology only.

As I see from my experience, small units with working time about 16 mins store correct log info in stderr_txt. The longer units are full of "Cuda error 'GaussFit_kernel' in file './cudaAcc_gaussfit.cu' in line 506 : invalid configuration argument."

Also, small units can start one after one on GPU, while longer units are fall back to CPU after completing one on GPU. Seems to memory issue problem with current Crunch3r's SETI-CUDA release (setiathome-CUDA-6.08.i686.tar.bz2).

Also, as BOINC starts 2 normal CPU crunchers on my C2D E4400 and additionally SETI-CUDA grabs one of CPU for 100%, the crunchers start fighting for second CPU and all thing goes very slowly including X-server response time.

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #77 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:46:51 am »
256MB seem borderline or not enough for the linux cuda app.

If the cpu app you run is astropulse you can force boinc to run only one instance. In your app_info.xml, in the astropulse section,  add

<avg_ncpus>2.0000</avg_ncpus>
   <max_ncpus>2.0000</max_ncpus>

immediately after

<version_num>500</version_num>
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 06:50:37 am by sunu »

dtiger

« Reply #78 on: 03 Mar 2009, 04:45:33 am »
Seems like 256 MB is enough for Win's version of SETI-CUDA. They run fine.
Also, as I see from workunits page, Windows clients crunch units for 100-200 seconds on 8800 GTS 256MB, while my 8600 GT 256MB run about 1000-2000 seconds for the same unit, it's a huge abnormal difference for similar hardware.

Offline sunu

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #79 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:33:46 am »
Also, as I see from workunits page, Windows clients crunch units for 100-200 seconds on 8800 GTS 256MB, while my 8600 GT 256MB run about 1000-2000 seconds for the same unit, it's a huge abnormal difference for similar hardware.

Two things:
1. Some users with 256 MB graphics cards see some WUs fall back to CPU computation because of not enough memory. Maybe that explains the increased time.
2. The linux CUDA app uses a full core so the time reported is the "real" computation time. The windows CUDA app uses a small percentage of a single core and records only that time. The "real" computation time for windows machines is much larger, possibly equivalent to that of linux PCs.

CorranHorn

« Reply #80 on: 13 Mar 2009, 08:39:48 am »
The windows version is faster than the linux version.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=423584760

Offline Crunch3r

• Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • 64 bit boinc clients
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:16:07 am »
The windows version is faster than the linux version.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=423584760

No It's not faster. You should get some info about the reported 'CPU time' first and the difference between the win & linux app, before posting such a BS...  ::)
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 10:19:32 am by Crunch3r »
I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Homer Simpson

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #82 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:51:06 am »
More correctly - Linux build uses much more CPU time than Windows one. Why it doing so - that's the question.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #83 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:17:37 am »
More correctly - Linux build uses much more CPU time than Windows one. Why it doing so - that's the question.

LoL I'm with Crunch3r on this one.  Because CPU time is a useless measure of GPU app performance, and depends on how the OS defines CPU time. Where and how cpu time is attributed to the user program or kernel time will vary by platform, along with the methods used for handling the GPU feeding.

When dealing with a parallel program, you can only go by Wall clock time on Same AR WUs only.  The scheduling and accounting semantics between the two OSes will be vastly different, and likely the Linux figure is just being 'more honest'.

Jason

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #84 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:21:22 am »
No, you missed that if CPU is busy - it's busy.
But if CPU free - it can be used somewhere else.
It seems in Linux CPU is busy all time CUDA app runs (I can do conclusions only by read posts of course, didn't run it on own host).

ADDON: on windows I studied total run time (elapsed) for busy cores with CUDA app so pretty confident, CPU is almost FREE while CUDA app running INDEED.
Windows doesn't cheat here as you suppose.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #85 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:25:41 am »
No, you missed that if CPU is busy - it's busy.
But if CPU free - it can be used somewhere else.
It seems in Linux CPU is busy all time CUDA app runs (I can do conclusions only by read posts of course, didn't run it on own host).

You missed that If I'm spending time in a kernel driver, I can attribute it to the program or not.  Windows doesn't.  
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 11:45:13 am by Jason G »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #86 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:43:26 am »
Again, I _measured_ elapsed times in config all cores busy with CPU app for CUDA app and measured elapsed time for CPU app when CUDA app running and other cores busy too.
So, NO noticeable kernel time increase here, all fair.
Linux does something wrong here it seems...

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #87 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:45:33 am »
Watch deferred procedure Calls process (DPCs) %CPUusage in process explorer, with & without Cuda app running.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #88 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:47:00 am »
Watch deferred procedure Calls process (DPCs) %CPUusage in process explorer, with & without Cuda app running.
For what? Elapsed == WALL CLOCK.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #89 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:00:08 pm »
For what? Elapsed == WALL CLOCK.

That's why I said, Use only wall clock for app comparison.

Deferred procedure calls are executing on another core in another process space, so counts as no extra wall clock or CPU time for that Cuda Process... even though it was made by it.(and consumes resources)

DPC CPU usage with no Cuda App running ~0.77%
DPC CPU usage with Cuda Running ~2.5%
(~3 x)

Which is a full ~50% of the Cuda app shunted off to another kernel process, which will Not effect ELAPSED WALL-CLOCK, because it runs on another core, or register on app CPU_TIME either.

Linux has no windows deferred procedure calls AFAIK (could be wrong) , so cannot shunt of the CPU time to aniother process / core, so cops the cputime allocation locally.

(i.e. Windows is giving extra hidden CPU time to cuda app, there is no magic. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call

« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 12:09:38 pm by Jason G »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats