+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Can you enable your RSS feed?  (Read 43745 times)

Gecko_R7

Re: Can you enable your RSS feed?
« Reply #45 on: 22 Mar 2009, 11:50:17 pm »
I can't see the board layout normally & can't edit the section as the layout hides it.  Clearing my browser doesn't fix it.

John37309

« Reply #46 on: 22 Mar 2009, 11:56:16 pm »
I can't see the board layout normally & can't edit the section as the layout hides it.  Clearing my browser doesn't fix it.
The board looks perfect to me, i have not seen any change in the way the board looks.

Am i correct in saying that the board theme is called "lunatics"?

If that is the case, make sure you are editing the file;
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/Themes/lunatics/index.template.php

Also, i can't find anywhere in my profile to select a different theme. I seem to get the "lunatics" black and orange theme and i can't change it. But it looks fine to me.

John.

Gecko_R7

« Reply #47 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:00:12 am »
Don't understand.

John37309

« Reply #48 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:06:17 am »
Don't understand.

1. Are you editing the file - Themes/lunatics/index.template.php . Is the theme called "Lunatics"?

2. How do i change the theme i see? Maybe only an admin can do this?

3. Are you still seeing some kind of fault?

John.

Gecko_R7

« Reply #49 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:12:30 am »
Don't understand.

1. Are you editing the file - Themes/lunatics/index.template.php . Is the theme called "Lunatics"?

2. How do i change the theme i see? Maybe only an admin can do this?

3. Are you still seeing some kind of fault?

John.
It seems I was only editing the Lunatics theme for MY account.  There's a separate setting to make for ALL users.  Thank goodness.
You last code change seems to work.  No parse errors.

However....after seeing what has happened just w/ my own setting, I'm not going to mess w/ something that could cause issue w/ the whole board.
Will defer that to server admin. 

John37309

« Reply #50 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:24:43 am »
Everything is fully working now! I am auto detecting the correct rss feed on every page of this website! Everything looks perfect!

I think we are finished!

John.

Gecko-R7

« Reply #51 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:31:11 am »
Everything is fully working now! I am auto detecting the correct rss feed on every page of this website! Everything looks perfect!

I think we are finished!

John.

Good.  ;D  Glad to hear there was a positive outcome!  John:  Thanks for your guiding me through this!
I'm excited for this excellent feature & better/quicker communication that it will permit.   ;D

Not without sacrifice, however.  I'm having to redo my account since I can't get past the original parsing error.  It won't refresh.
Oh well.

John37309

« Reply #52 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:38:08 am »

I think we are finished!

John.

Good.  ;D  Glad to hear there was a positive outcome!  John:  Thanks for your guiding me through this!
I'm excited for this excellent feature & better/quicker communication that it will permit.   ;D

Not without sacrifice, however.  I'm having to redo my account since I can't get past the original parsing error.  It won't refresh.
Oh well.
Well everything about the website theme looks 100% to me, i don't see any faults. You could try re-trace your steps and see if there is some other theme file you edited that still has the faulty code. You could also shut down your browser, clear your cache and delete your browsing history to give you a fresh start.

But everything looks great!, well done Gecko. Don't forget to advertise your new opp app rss feed in your messages you post. Include the little rss icon to make the messages look good!. its a very cool feature, I'm very pleased with the end result!

delete your browser history and clear your cache!

John.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 12:40:47 am by John37309 »

Gecko-R7

« Reply #53 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:45:03 am »

John.

Oh...did all that as a "1st" step after getting the error.
Doesn't solve the problem.
Maybe it will sort itself out, but otherwise...this work-around will be fine.

John37309

« Reply #54 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:50:33 am »

John.

Gecko i think maybe you can see this error because you have the ability to change the theme for this forum just for your account. So i think you still have the faulty code in the theme that you are seeing. I can't see or even select that other theme, so i don't see the error. If that is the case, you need to find the other index.template.php file you were editing and replace the code with the new code.

John.

Gecko-R7

« Reply #55 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:54:52 am »

John.

Gecko i think maybe you can see this error because you have the ability to change the theme for this forum just for your account. So i think you still have the faulty code in the theme that you are seeing. I can't see or even select that other theme, so i don't see the error. If that is the case, you need to find the other index.template.php file you were editing and replace the code with the new code.

John.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll take a peek tomorrow, but I'm not too worried bout' it if I can't sort it  ;).

John37309

« Reply #56 on: 23 Mar 2009, 01:01:08 am »
Sure!

Remember that if this forum has 3 or 4 themes, and forum moderators and forum admins have selected a different theme to view this forum, they won't see the rss browser auto-detect feature until they log out and see the "Lunatics" default theme. For everybody to see the browser auto-detect thing, you would have to add the new code to the index.template.php file for each theme.

Anyway everything looks good, its a cool feature and i'm glad we got it working.

John.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #57 on: 23 Mar 2009, 01:43:08 am »
Ooooh!, comes up in Snarfer good  ;)  Looks like the votes don't save, but my guess is that's a snarfer thing right?

Only thing is I guess this makes editing/updating older entries technique out for updates  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 01:46:06 am by Jason G »

Gecko-R7

« Reply #58 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:39:53 am »
Sure!

Remember that if this forum has 3 or 4 themes, and forum moderators and forum admins have selected a different theme to view this forum, they won't see the rss browser auto-detect feature until they log out and see the "Lunatics" default theme. For everybody to see the browser auto-detect thing, you would have to add the new code to the index.template.php file for each theme.

Anyway everything looks good, its a cool feature and i'm glad we got it working.

John.

You're really close there!  There's 5 themes, but everyone is actually using the Lunatics theme.  No viewers of the others.
The only original Admin here that helped dev. this site has been awol for almost 2 years.
The remaining admin is the server host, but didn't build this site.  I rather got the job since I was already here & had a broom.
Sweeping the reactor room vs. changing how the reactor runs are slightly different things..... :D
I don't want to be the night watchman that causes a meltdown  :D via "ohhh....that red button looks cool, let's see what THAT does...."

Would be nice to have an actual site admin again that can truly develop the site etc.
Problem is everything that built the site (w/exception to index template) is in protected files.
I can't say the need is critical, just a nice to have.
Current environment works fine and is the best yet.  :)

You obviously know your way around the nooks & crannies of SMF.
What kind of background you have???

Gecko-R7

« Reply #59 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:57:53 am »
Ooooh!, comes up in Snarfer good  ;)  Looks like the votes don't save, but my guess is that's a snarfer thing right?

Only thing is I guess this makes editing/updating older entries technique out for updates  :(

Actually...the way I post the the updates will continue to work fine.
Each update, while essentially as modified version of a previous release post (why re-invent the wheel each time  ;) ), is still a "new" post and news item.  So....the most recent item on RSS will always be the latest & newest.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672