+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Which IPP library are you using Simon?  (Read 11663 times)

BenHer

Which IPP library are you using Simon?
« on: 09 Aug 2006, 02:22:50 pm »
Simon,

Downloading the IPP library, not sure when it was updated.  Current (as of now) is 5.1.1.  Contains opts and CPU detect for Core 2...
Intel IPP 5.1.1 is a downloadable update to Intel IPP 5.1 that delivers new optimizations specifically for the new Intel® Core™ 2 Processor Family.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Re: Which IPP library are you using Simon?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2006, 04:04:30 pm »
I'm using versions released very recently (to my knowledge, the most recent available).

The exact version numbers are:

9.1.0.28 for ICC
5.1.1.005 for IPP

This IPP version has explicit support for Core 2 based machines (/QxT worked for ICC before but was undocumented, now both ICC and IPP have explicit support).

HTH,
Simon.

BenHer

« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2006, 06:12:55 pm »
Ok,

Here are some things I discovered using the very latests (downloaded today) version of IPP.

When you install the IPP evaluation verision, it does not (did not for me) install any of the static libraries listed in the seti_boinc project...nor did it install the various versions of the "ipp_NN.h" header files.  Perhaps this is selected for by the type of license file they emailed me for the evaluation.

I examined the install folder created by IPP (after it had run) and there was a large .cab file "Data1.cab".  Using 7Zip I opened the cab and got the static libaries and the .h files and put them into the proper installed IPP directories. (/include and /lib)

Trying the compile again now with these files in place.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2006, 06:21:25 pm »
I only hinted to that in the how-to - the trial versions do not install any "redistributables", i.e. dlls and .lib files. However, as you noticed, they certainly are in the installer file.

Your build will work if you extract all the files in the .cab and add where you put them in include and lib directories.

HTH,
Simon.

BenHer

« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2006, 06:31:36 pm »
Dinna ya think ya should at least ammend and specify which library to edit the properties to  link to and how to edit 'analyzefuncs.cpp' to change the included files or nobody downloading will be able to use ;)

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2006, 06:47:57 pm »
Thing is, as I alluded to in the How-To, this isn't strictly legal. Inquisitive minds figure out how to do it on their own anyway.

There have been several threads and posts about this exact topic all detailing the same thing you just described, so I figure word is out.

In fact, the How-Tos say that to change the text appearing in the stderr, you need to edit analyzeFuncs.cpp, and what text to search for. Sure, it could have more detail, but I really believe it's not difficult to do.

Also, the specific compiler switches, where to add them and what they do is included.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, and if anyone can produce an updated, corrected or otherwise improved version of the How-Tos, I'll be glad to put it up instead - right now, I don't have much time to update them.

If anyone is interested in modifying them, I'll be happy to grant you article submission privileges so you can post an updated version (as well as grab all the bbcode in the original).

Regards,
Simon.

llib

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2006, 05:06:56 am »
As you talked about IPP.
What is the perfomance of the IPP 5.1 Speech coding examles?
I need to run them in the real-time mode and need more than 1 channel. Is it possible?
What CPU do I need?
And the last quest - is IPP used in any commercial projects?
Thank you.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:19:07 pm »
Hi llib,

I haven't used IPP for anything else but Seti@Home, myself. I did download the code samples and compiled a few of them, but haven't really done anything with them, so I can't help you there, sorry.

As to the version I'm using, that's the newest released one, 5.1 build 1.005. I bought single-user commercial licenses for ICC and IPP with the help of a few generous people, which is how I can release the optimized Windows apps in the first place (the trial license specifically prohibits doing that, by the way, and also does not install libs - "Redistributables" - for that reason).

And yes, IPP is used in many commercial applications, as are other Intel library packages. The fact is, Intel's performance libraries are damn quick on any PC, whether it's using an AMD or an Intel chip. Lots of people use their tools to make the same code give them more performance. Intel should have some material on that online, or you can email them (they're very responsive). Easiest would be to post on their support boards, you'll get an answer there too.

HTH,
Simon.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats