+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: CPU affinity should be set on test executables  (Read 12983 times)

BenHer

CPU affinity should be set on test executables
« on: 07 Aug 2006, 01:39:42 pm »
Simon,

For testing I believe you've got to set the affinity of the executable to CPU #0.

I was running your test platform (the batch files, not the installer) and checked my CPU activity for this Athlon 64 X2 3800+ cpu, and both cores were working on parts of the program.  This, sometimes, doesn't allow the data in one of the core's caches to be used as the other core then takes over when control returns to the app.

I then downloaded a MS utility to set the cpu affiniity for an executable and changed all of the .exes to be CPU #0 only.  For testing this is ok, but not for the release version.

Note: BOINC does this when running the executables, by starting child tasks and setting the CPU affinity before begining worker.

Side note: I noticed the mention of the "cheating" on Intel's part in another thread...checking for "GenuineIntel" and the option to patch executable to overcome this.   Well intel has gotten more clever lately and their CPU checking in 4 places in your executables (each of the 4 uses different code).   I just patched them to be "AuthenticAMD" and all executables are running on this AMD cpu; even the ones that failed on your table...heheh.   Can't be certain any of the SSE2 or SSE3 code is being called but the executables run.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2006, 01:47:16 pm by BenHer »

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Re: CPU affinity should be set on test executables
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2006, 03:02:32 pm »
Benher,

check the thread "ICCPatch, anyone?" in the "Pre-Release Applications" section (test-group access only). ;)

Regards,
Simon.

BenHer

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2006, 05:51:03 pm »
Benher,

check the thread "ICCPatch, anyone?" in the "Pre-Release Applications" section (test-group access only). ;)

Good thread...but about that affinity?

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2006, 06:39:51 pm »
Good idea on setting CPU affinity, actually. Should be incorporated into the test/bench scripts.

Regards,
Simon.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2006, 06:34:07 pm »
Er,

checked out what it actually does (I thought it would set cpu affinity on the fly, not set it permanently), and future test packs will probably contain executables with affinity set to cpu #1.

Regards,
Simon.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats