+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: I hate Deers ....  (Read 14162 times)

Offline Crunch3r

• Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • 64 bit boinc clients
I hate Deers ....
« on: 07 Jul 2007, 11:02:39 pm »
Finally i'm back home now after having a major car accident (though had some luck not having major injuries).
 I tried not to hit the Deer that showed up in the middle of the road out of nothing... Bad idea... my car  flipped over 3 times  and slided on the roof... That's it.

So my car is totaly junk and along with that I'm loosing my mobility.
As a result of that i have to give up my job ( i have my own little business )...

My knee hurts a bit but after all it could have been worse...
Need to have some rest now.

P.S.

I hate deers.

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Homer Simpson

Offline michael37

• Knight o' The Round Table
Re: I hate Deers ....
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2007, 11:50:11 pm »
Oh man, I hope you feel better soon and you manage to get something from your insurance for your car.

Gecko_R7

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2007, 11:50:44 pm »
Holy S**t!  :o

Glad to hear you're still w/ us.
BTW, it's 50/50 hitting a deer vs. ditching the car.  You may still get toasted by hitting it since they have a tendency do go THOUGH the windshield and their hoofs can end-up inside the car w/ you.

I rolled a compact during a storm in 93' 7 times through a telephone pole into a field and ended up-side down w/ the roof buried in the mud.
Every window was blown-out, glass everywhere including in me. The car was destroyed. Got a few nice scars on my back and a stiff neck for remembrance.
Darn lucky to be alive.

You probably didn't feel much during the accident, but you will now and later as the adrenaline in your system wears off.
Trust me and see a doctor.  ;)  You may have injuries you don't recognize yet (as my neck showed on the x-rays.  No pain, but dislocation of 2 vertebrate that REALLY concerned the doctors at the time).

Take care of yourself.
Ian

« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2007, 11:55:25 pm by Gecko_R7 »

Offline michael37

• Knight o' The Round Table
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2007, 11:52:08 pm »

msattler

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2007, 02:17:30 am »
Geez....glad to hear that you were not seriously hurt.  In my younger years I lived with my parents in a very rural area, and one year I hit 2 deer about a month apart.  Nothing so dramatic as your accident though, just trashed the front end of the car but was able to keep it on the road both times.  Scary stuff though.  The second deer I hit about 1 week after getting the car out of the body shop for repairs from the first crash.  I never did get it fixed the second time.
Hope you heal quickly.
Mark.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2007, 07:11:02 am »
...whoa, "Glück im Unglück" - doesn't translate. Damn lucky you're not seriously hurt, and thanks for that.

Hope your insurance can help get you back on your feet (figuratively and literally) soon.

I do like deer...in a nice red wine sauce.

Take care and get well soon,
Simon.

jgilje

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2007, 09:43:44 am »
Wow. Just happy you got out of the accident without any major injuries. I'll just repeat what Simon just said, "Glück im Unglück".

Offline Fivestar Crashtest

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2007, 12:56:51 pm »
...whoa, "Glück im Unglück" - doesn't translate.

Altavista Babelfish gave me "Luck in the misforturne".  I've always feared that if I hit a deer, it would come through my windshield and end up in my lap. 

Glad to hear that you survived such a harrowing experience, Crunch3r.

Pam
All your base are belong to us!  You have no chance to survive, make your time!

Offline Crunch3r

• Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • 64 bit boinc clients
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2007, 07:29:51 pm »
First of all,
thanks for all the replies.

Today i had a first look at  the pieces left of my car and while seeing it i got a sick feeling immediately and allmost blacked out.

I've been thinking the whole day about how i made it out of it without major injuries and still beeing alive  :o  :'(

Normaly i would have ended up in best case in hospital or usualy in the morgue.

Seeing how badly broken the car was ( i was sliding on the roof of the car after flipping over 3 times, allmost 100 m, that's what was told to me today, well i was more than lucky to make it alive out of the car.

However, made me think a lot today and i can't even sleep at all.

To much things going through my head now and if you believe me or not, you start thinking about life in another way after such things happening to you.  :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2007, 07:33:58 pm by Crunch3r »
I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Homer Simpson

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2007, 05:22:09 am »
Having been there when I destroyed my first car after falling asleep at the wheel, I believe you. Very well. Not fun. Crumpled mass of steel, unscathed driver - better than the other way around.

However - see it as a new lease on life, and a wake-up call, and it can be a positive thing, as well, and I hope it will be for you.

Best wishes,
Simon.

Offline _heinz

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2007, 05:22:32 am »
wish you the best for a new start, sucessful convalescense, health and sucess in your business.
kindest regards
heinz ~seti_britta

Fuzzy Hollynoodles

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2007, 10:40:39 am »
I'm so sorry to hear this, Crunch3r. Luckily you were able to walk away and can tell the story.

You take really good care of yourself, get some treatment to prevent that Post Traumatic Syndrome you easily can develop after this. 

Seems like you were blessed. ;-)

nobodyatseti

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2007, 12:10:44 pm »

Glad to hear You are Alright Crunch3r . . . too bad re: the vehicle though . . .

note: i live in NC (near Charlotte) and there are deer everywhere - @ the most un-expected moments

recommendation: i have 'sirens' - horns that warn animals - get them @ your local car parts joints - i have even scared off small animals with them

(ya mount them on the two sides of the front of your vehicle - only costs 'bout $6.00 US)

< only problems i've had since mountin' them on mi car - is that IF somebody else DOESN'T have them - and THEY hit a deer / animal - it usually flies into the air and lands on another vehicle . . . Car Manufacturers should mount the sirens on every car - and the Law should make it Mandatory for a vehicle to have them . . . i have noticed ALL Highway crews have them on their vehicles too - in the Carolina's . . .

> Get Well Soon - Here's a Moment of Prayer for You

richard

Crazybob

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:01:46 am »
Crunch3r, hope everything is OK.  Deer can be a B&tch!  Get well soon!

Offline Crunch3r

• Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • 64 bit boinc clients
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2007, 02:47:44 pm »
Thank you all for you kind words.

I had to take a break from work and the everyday craziness and am feeling better now.

@ Gecko_R7

You probably didn't feel much during the accident, but you will now and later as the adrenaline in your system wears off.
Trust me and see a doctor.  Wink  You may have injuries you don't recognize yet (as my neck showed on the x-rays.  No pain, but dislocation of 2 vertebrate that REALLY concerned the doctors at the time).

You were absolutely right. Though nothing was broken, i still have some small issues with my left leg and it's now beeing taken care of by the doctor.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2007, 02:56:38 pm by Crunch3r »

Homer Simpson

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559