+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: To Simon or anyone that knows flash...  (Read 15319 times)

Offline hiamps

• Knight o' The Round Table
    • Swans Candles and Supplies
To Simon or anyone that knows flash...
« on: 07 Apr 2007, 01:12:14 am »
I would be willing to pay you Simon up front if you can fix a cool flash page that was made for me years ago. I use hostcentric and they have no one there that can make my link work since they changed thier servers a couple years ago. The link is at http://www.swanscandles.com/frontdoor.htm and I use FTP32 a real old program that I could e-mail it to you and all my settings still seem to be set so you can see my whole website and hopefully fix things. I want the page to go to an index page like it used to instead of showing an error. If you are at all interested please email me. This is very important to me.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Re: To Simon or anyone that knows flash...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2007, 03:50:16 am »
hiamps,

check your email ;)
I have an idea for you, maybe you'll like it.

Regards,
Simon.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2007, 01:38:34 pm »
I will agree with your terms, I tried to reply to your email and got this message...
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Simon Zadra' on 4/7/2007 10:30 AM
            550 Blacklisted file extension detected

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2007, 01:53:43 pm »
Um,

maybe youp computer is infected and it's trying to send a .vbs file along with the mail?

Better be safe than sorry :)

In any case, I think I already fixed it. Check out these pages:

#1 has the new store link
#2 has the old store link

Is that all you needed or is there more?

Regards,
Simon.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2007, 03:00:17 pm »
WOW, You are amazing. I sent you your own login. Anything you want to fix I will gladly pay for. I had paid someone $2500 a couple years ago to fix my site and he took my money and ran. I have been stumbling and trying to learn and finally just did the Shopsite so I could get things kind of working again. Please let me know how much and how to send. Whatever it is, it is worth it to me!!! Thank you again!
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2007, 03:16:56 pm by hiamps »

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2007, 03:54:44 pm »
 :o

2500 USD to fix it? Er...

A license for the program I used to decompile your old flash file costs 80 USD if you have to buy it just for that purpose (I don't). A license for Flash itself costs from 225 USD upwards (same applies).

Time involved in fixing just the flash part was minimal when you know what you're doing. That amount is outrageous...not even going to touch running off with it.

So anyway, like I wrote you, I'd like any proceeds to go towards a license fund for lunatics.at and active developers. Depending on what all you want me to fix, I'll come up with a fair amount and discuss it with you.

Regards,
Simon.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2007, 04:03:27 pm »
Fix anything you feel a notion too and I trust you and will pay as soon as you let me know what would help. How much is the license you need?

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2007, 04:58:20 pm »
The license costs above are not what I meant for lunatics.at BTW. They were just a quick breakdown of the maximum license cost to do what you needed to have done.

The MKL license is ~400 USD, if I'm informed correctly. However, I'd like to have a second set of licenses for Joe Segur and/or a machine dedicated to compiling our apps and accessible for all active devs with a Core-2 (or better) in the long run, so putting a number on what we could use is difficult.

MKL ~ $400
ICC ($399) + IPP ($199) + MKL ($399) for Joe ~ $1000
Core 2 system suitable for development ~ 500-700 USD

MKL licenses is just something that came to my mind, it's not that we really need them so badly. However, getting Joe ICC and IPP licenses is something I've long wanted to do, and what I would put as a first priority.

I've yet to take a closer look to judge how much time I'll need to spend to fix what needs fixing urgently, but will try and do that over the weekend.

Til then, naming real numbers is going to be pure conjecture, anyway :)

Regards,
Simon.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2007, 08:26:19 pm »
Hi again,

from what I saw when I checked out your website sources in closer detail, you created each page on its own, with no dynamic data at all. I.e. all the navigational links on the left side have to be updated on each page right now.

It looks like you used some sort of automated webpage / shop generator, also, CSS code is embedded into each single webpage instead of in an external file, which makes your traffic much higher than it needs to be (and also makes pages load more slowly).

There's really a lot that could be improved, provided I find the time.

For starters: the navigation on your site is very confusing, and changing it currently is very difficult and has to be done by hand on very many files. I can re-work it so you only have to change one place and all pages are updated in one go. Though that's gonna take a while, it'll make your job in updating your site much much easier. It'll also make it possible to display an ordered menu that's the same on all pages and can have a tree-like structure.

Also, how much of your site is driven by a database? I haven't checked every source file, but all except the shopping cart and order process itself seems to be static HTML, if I'm correct.

A DB would be really helpful, especially so if it was MySQL ;)

Should be included with your web host setup, actually, but you'll have to tell me that.

All in all, I can't promise you an exact date when I'll be able to finish it, but I can promise you I will. I'll email you an estimate tomorrow or Monday and you can tell me whether that seems fair or not. No advances, when I'm finished I'll show you and you can decide whether it's worth it :)

Regards,
Simon.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:11:04 am »
Thanks Simon, If you want to help lets do this. Where do I sign up?

Offline hiamps

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:27:11 pm »
Hi Simon haven't heard from you in awhile. I ageed in case you missed my email. I assume when you make some changes you will let me know so I can download the changes and not undo anything.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:25:21 pm »
Hi,

I got your email, I've just been too busy to do much. I have some different ideas though, because your store setup would destroy any manual changes I make when you edit pages through their interface. So I'll need to fix the template (or make a new one) for the shop instead of fixing all pages on their own.

So anyway, things are happening, but I'll always do it so there is as little possibility for a conflict.

Regards,
Simon.

Offline hiamps

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2007, 01:52:34 am »
Thanks, if you do a custom template I can download it and use FTP for further changes instead of their interface.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672