Forum > Windows

optimized sources

<< < (2/179) > >>

_heinz:
hello Joe, hello Cruch3r,

at the moment I´m very busy with analyzeFuncs.cpp, reducing code and make some optimizations in the sources. After that I will look what to do with powerspectrum and transpose. How you know analyzeFuncs is a fat thing, not easy to understand what is going on in the code. Therefore I  divided it into logical parts easy to understand the function. This take me the possibility to have a better overview, reduce code and make other logical changes. Now I´m ready to show the first result of my studys , the new  programmstructure  of seti_analyze. Hints and suggestions are welcome.

for Crunch3r --> I know Linux too, have alredy installed a webserver with Apache and PHP, but at the moment I have still some old win and mac boxes and a P4 with xph, linux not installed
in english für alle anderen zum mitlesen :-)

seti_britta

see attachfile: the new structure of  seti_analyze ( still for understanding documentation and discussion)

[attachment deleted by admin]

BenHer:

--- Quote ---How you know analyzeFuncs is a fat thing,
--- End quote ---

Britta,

We know because we have compiled and then run the seti executable under control of a "profiling" program.  After completing an entire WU crunching we then know that  aa% of the time was spent within function abc, and bb% of the time was spent within function xyz and like so for all functions in the program.

The ones that use the most time get the most of our optimization thinking and programming attempts.

_heinz:
the first news

use now an enhanced timer, count in timer ticks, test code pieces

used for test the new fkt CalcAng
let the function write in an 1000 element double vector cyclic
take this in a loop of 10 000
so we call the fkt 10 mio times.
was surprised about the result,
tryed this with 2 small different functions
here you see the result
-------------------
Timer Frequency in:
Hz  =       3579545
MHz =       3.57955
GHz =    0.00358

Start Time =     743223057648 Ticks
Stop Time  =     743224081856 Ticks

Duration in Ticks   =  1024208
Duration in seconds =  0.2861279855401
--------------------------------------
Timer Frequency in:
Hz  =       3579545
MHz =       3.57955
GHz =    0.00358

Start Time =     743224082065 Ticks
Stop Time  =     743225105999 Ticks

Duration in Ticks   =  1023934
Duration in seconds =  0.2860514394986
--------------------------------------
   P1 = 1024208
   P2 = 1023934
   dif= 274

Solution:P2 is faster than P1

;D

the secand news:
set up Ms Visual Studio 2005 Express
update with Windows Server 2003 Platform SDK
using this environment to compile seti sources

go on now with further optimization of the sources

seti_britta

_heinz:
- imported seti_boinc from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition  ;D
- can now compile and get object modul
- compile analyzeFuncs
------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: seti_boinc, Konfiguration: Debug Win32 ------
Kompilieren...
analyzeFuncs.cpp
....some wanings
Das Buildprotokoll wurde unter "file://c:\boincstuff\kwsn-seti_boinc_1.3\seti_boinc\client\win_build\Debug\BuildLog.htm" gespeichert.
seti_boinc - 0 Fehler, 13 Warnung(en)
========== Erstellen: 1 erfolgreich, Fehler bei 0, 0 aktuell, 0 übersprungen ==========
 ;D

now I can proof all my changes if there are any compiler errors  ;D

@Simon : till now I did not install IPP and MKL, but when I do that, it must be able to compile a optimized client. Hope did nothing forget. Simon, what do you think about it ?

Simon:
Hi Britta,

for optimal results, you should use ICC and IPP. Unless you modified the sources to use the fftw wrapper that MKL provides, it's not necessary (MKL).

Go for it :)

Regards,
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version