+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Major forum upgrade!  (Read 13171 times)

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
Major forum upgrade!
« on: 30 Oct 2015, 02:45:39 pm »
You may have noticed a few changes around here since your last visit. The forum was running a truly ancient version of the SMF software and it was starting to cause problems after recent server upgrades. The newer versions of PHP and Mysql running on the server caused errors and posts that just vanished into thin air. (see the Vanishing post Test thread) So I decided to perform an upgrade to the newest version of the Simple Machines Forum software.

Unfortunately the old setup was heavily modded and all of these mods were completely disabled in the upgrade because they did not support SMF 2.x. The same thing goes for the custom theme.

As of right now, the basic forum should be back up and running. I also transferred all of the file downloads from the old download system to the new one however this involved some manual SQL queries on slightly incompatible data so there is a good chance there are some problems lurking there. For one thing, I'm listed as the author of all the downloads. I may be able to fix that later. And I'm guessing any direct links to downloads from within posts are broken.

I know the default SMF theme I have turned on now is not very good because some posts have bright text in them. I will try installing a darker theme here shortly that will hopefully help. Eventually I may be able to restore elements of the old custom theme but themes and CSS aren't exactly my strong suit so we'll see...

There will also undoubtedly be more issues that come up as people start using the new software. I'm pretty sure there will need to be permission changes in the download manager for one thing. But I'm sure others will crop up. I will monitor the Discussion Forum for problem reports.

Thank you for your patience in this long-overdue upgrade process.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672