+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Status of these boards  (Read 65197 times)

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
Re: Status of these boards
« Reply #60 on: 05 Nov 2015, 01:22:02 pm »
Ah, yeah if the browser window goes below 1400 pixels in width the user section on the right does some weird things... Did I mention that CSS isn't my strong suit?

Looking at the rules, it appears that the user div is set to take up 50% of the screen width so if it can't get that, it will get pushed around by the forum logo on the left. I don't see a reason why it needs 50%. If I turn off the width requirement completely (using my browser's dev tools to play with it) I can get down to about 960 pixels before it flips out. But if you have an avatar that will go up there and take some extra pixels. But I'll try tweaking that and see if it breaks anything else.

I think I did at least get the alternating post background color from the old theme working... although I see it only works when viewing a post, not in the reply interface. Always something.

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #61 on: 05 Nov 2015, 01:59:41 pm »
Well, it seems that the dots are gone now..................

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
« Reply #62 on: 05 Nov 2015, 02:59:48 pm »
Ah, yeah if the browser window goes below 1400 pixels in width the user section on the right does some weird things... Did I mention that CSS isn't my strong suit?

Looking at the rules, it appears that the user div is set to take up 50% of the screen width so if it can't get that, it will get pushed around by the forum logo on the left. I don't see a reason why it needs 50%. If I turn off the width requirement completely (using my browser's dev tools to play with it) I can get down to about 960 pixels before it flips out. But if you have an avatar that will go up there and take some extra pixels. But I'll try tweaking that and see if it breaks anything else.

I think I did at least get the alternating post background color from the old theme working... although I see it only works when viewing a post, not in the reply interface. Always something.

You still know more CSS than me. Still a little bit off though.

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #63 on: 05 Nov 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
Code: [Select]
Try to read this text with that background colour.

And if your name is longer only the first part is shown. See pic.
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2015, 07:27:02 pm by Urs Echternacht »
_\|/_
U r s

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
« Reply #64 on: 06 Nov 2015, 12:16:42 pm »
Fixed the code block.

As for the user greeting in the upper right I'm kind of tempted to just remove it. The "User" ezblock at the top of the right column has all the same information anyway except for the current time and presumably most of us have clocks of some kind nearby... The only drawback is I think the ezblocks get disabled if you are viewing the site on a mobile device. Thoughts?

Offline msattler

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #65 on: 06 Nov 2015, 12:38:46 pm »
Fixed the code block.

As for the user greeting in the upper right I'm kind of tempted to just remove it. The "User" ezblock at the top of the right column has all the same information anyway except for the current time and presumably most of us have clocks of some kind nearby... The only drawback is I think the ezblocks get disabled if you are viewing the site on a mobile device. Thoughts?
I dunno, the clock is kinda handy to be sure one is viewing the current page and not something stuck in your browser cache.

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
« Reply #66 on: 06 Nov 2015, 04:18:18 pm »
Well ok... the thing that seems to be causing the layout difficulty is the avatar image. I just commented that out in the header. The image is also put in the ezblock on the top right so it actually looked weird to have that image posted twice so close together at the top of the page. How's that?

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
« Reply #67 on: 06 Nov 2015, 06:39:49 pm »
Much better.

Offline William

• Global Moderator
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #68 on: 09 Nov 2015, 04:19:27 am »
Looks good on iPad too.
Any way to reactivate the which members were on in the last 24 h bit?

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
« Reply #69 on: 09 Nov 2015, 07:53:49 am »
It will probably take a little custom work as the recent members one does not look right.

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #70 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:34:15 pm »
1. Here is another issue of formatting : a quote with a table inside. -> font colour of the table contents should be darker, so contrast to light blue background is higher.

Example table:
col1 row1 | col2 row1
col1 row2 | col2 row2

2. On creating the table i was missing the create row and create cell buttons.
3. In Post reply the placement of the edit-window should be left-bound not centered. Also try to widen the edit-window ?!

Hope that helps a little to improve the forum usability.
_\|/_
U r s

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #71 on: 12 Nov 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
Next problem is "important to hell" : VANISHING TEXT !

Example, a line of sourcecode :
Code tags work ok !
Code: [Select]
for(int i=0;i<KERNEL_TUNE(LAST_ELEM);i++){kernels[i]=NULL;events[i]=NULL;}Quote tags do change the text that appears in the forum or as preview :
   for(int i=0;i<KERNEL_TUNE(LAST_ELEM);i++){kernels=NULL;events=NULL;}
Using a Table does change the text that appears in the forum or as preview :
   for(int i=0;i<KERNEL_TUNE(LAST_ELEM);i++){kernels=NULL;events=NULL;}

If \[i\] has no closing tag \[/i\] please make it appear.
_\|/_
U r s

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:56:02 am »
1. Here is another issue of formatting : a quote with a table inside. -> font colour of the table contents should be darker, so contrast to light blue background is higher.
I have applied a similar style to quotes as existed in the old theme.

2. On creating the table i was missing the create row and create cell buttons.
This functionality was removed from newer versions of SMF. I found a mod that recreates these buttons.

I also discovered it wasn't hard to copy over the post editor button styles from the old theme. It kind of annoyed me that the buttons were so bright in an otherwise dark theme so that should be better now too.

3. In Post reply the placement of the edit-window should be left-bound not centered. Also try to widen the edit-window ?!

The main post edit section had a 12% horizontal padding which seemed excessive. I guess if we weren't running the EZblocks mod that takes up screen space on the left and right it probably wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I reduced the padding to give the post edit section more room.

Offline ToeBee

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Squire
« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2015, 03:30:59 am »
Not sure if I can do anything about the handling of unclosed bbcode tags. I'm guessing that is a change in the core SMF bbcode parsing code. Glancing at the function I do see some custom options being made available but I don't see anything obvious that would make it handle unclosed markdown differently. I'll take another look this weekend but honestly I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #74 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:18:47 am »
Racing, who is faster ? Stop the |Marquee| button.
:) ;)
Thanks ToeBee, table stuff looks better now and the edit window has more room for long lines.  8)
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 11:21:09 am by Urs Echternacht »
_\|/_
U r s

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0