Forum > Discussion Forum

Status of these boards

(1/17) > >>

ToeBee:
You may have noticed that there was an outage of these boards a few days ago. I fixed it eventually but I actually have no idea what exactly fixed it. It was showing a PHP error. The error is because the server is running a newer version of PHP than this forum software was designed to run on. But the this error is actually being thrown constantly in the background so I don't know why it suddenly caused an outage.

However this highlighted the fact that this forum is running really, really old software. I know there have been problems with posts being blank. I have no idea why that is happening and I don't see any errors in the logs. I suspect it is another PHP version problem. While trying to fix the outage I looked into upgrading to the newest version of SMF. I actually performed the upgrade and you can see the rather poor results at http://test.lunatics.kwsn.info/.

First of all you will notice that the custom theme is completely broken. That can probably be fixed with some effort. The bigger problem is that the upgrade disabled all extensions. This reset the site back to being nothing but a forum. The front page with the download links and news feed is all gone. That functionality is supplied by an extension named Enigma and this extension is no longer maintained. There might be newer extensions available now that provide similar functionality but I'm not sure.

Is anyone else around here by chance familiar with the SFM software or have any other ideas for how to get this site running on a more modern system?

ToeBee:
And in making the above post I actually ran into the blank post problem. Wow, that is indeed weird.  In this case it seems to have gone away when I removed a double space in the middle of the post. But I can't replicate the problem now by intentionally using a double space. Sooo... I have no clue what's going on there.

arkayn:
I would be the person who is most familiar with SMF as I run the Sister site for this place at Crunchers Anonymous

I am running SMF 2.0.11 and Tiny Portal over there, which has a built in download manager.

There is also EZ Portal. I recommend Download System for use with that.

EzPortal is the only one that has been updated to work with the upcoming 2.1 release of SMF.

arkayn:
Of course the theme is not compatible either.

ToeBee:
Thank you for your suggestions. I've been tinkering with them tonight. As you pointed out the custom theme is totally broken so I just completely disabled it. Other than that I've managed to replicate a fair bit of the functionality of the current setup... I think. Definitely not a finished product and I'm guessing I will need to redo it all anyway once it is decided to do the upgrade for real. But please go look and let me know what you think. http://test.lunatics.kwsn.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version