+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: R-2.0 Linux apps released?  (Read 15058 times)

Offline michael37

• Knight o' The Round Table
R-2.0 Linux apps released?
« on: 03 Dec 2006, 05:09:19 pm »
Yeah right.  Don't you wish it was true, esp with the Intel compiler for Linux being free.  I would have tried doing it myself, but I suck at troubleshooting Makefile errors, and that's what remains to be done here.

Just a friendly reminder, developers, that we are still waiting anxiously!  :)

Michael

« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2006, 04:47:58 pm by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Re: R-2.0 Linux apps released
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2006, 06:19:12 pm »
Lol!

I haven't forgotten about it, but am having the same trouble. I do have a Makefile and some .am and .ac files but keep getting strange errors.

My work schedule is a bit insane currently, but starting next Wednesday afternoon, I'll be off til Sunday, so maybe I'll figure it out then.

HTH,
Simon.

P.S.: Hans, any luck getting the 2.0 sources ported to Linux?

Offline Hans Dorn

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2006, 07:47:37 pm »
Hi Simon,

I'm sort of, errr, distracted ATM, as you know  ;)

If you send me a 7zip of your source tree including the new Makefiles, I'll put in some hours from time to time to iron out compiling errors.

I can't auto-generate any Makefiles on my build setup without breaking the seti compile....

What distribution are you using?

Regards Hans

Offline michael37

« Reply #3 on: 04 Dec 2006, 02:18:24 am »
I use CentOS 4/RHEL4 primarily.  It seems to have a great combination of stable OS and extensive library support, esp for older libraries.  The only lacking component is modern gcc, but that's a non-issue for Seti/Boinc once Makefiles are OK as long as you use icc.

However, if I remember correctly, I've had difficulties figuring out Automake since the gnu utilities are also very old.

rgathright

« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2006, 10:27:55 am »
My previous efforts to compile SETI were shot down by a "proxy" at work.  Yum in Fedora Core 5 seems to need some help getting through.

Since SETI is in a transition period to 5.18, I have pulled my Irwindale Xeon box apart to add another HD to it's raid array.  Additionally, I am now installing Debian, as per Simon's Compile FAQ, I hope to have it running by Friday.

Offline michael37

« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2006, 12:50:51 am »
Is there any technical reason why the SSE3 (version 1.41) version with SSE3/-xP optimization does not exist for Linux?

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #6 on: 08 Dec 2006, 08:48:42 am »
Quick correction - 1.41 is not SSE3 but SSSE3 and also not /QxP but /QxT.

Technical reason? Not really :) The real problem: on Windows, I can compile SSSE3 versions using only an SSE2-capable CPU. On Linux, no such luck - I'd need to have a Core 2 based compiler host (which I do not currently).

HTH,
Simon.

Offline michael37

« Reply #7 on: 08 Dec 2006, 02:56:54 pm »

Technical reason? Not really :) The real problem: on Windows, I can compile SSSE3 versions using only an SSE2-capable CPU. On Linux, no such luck - I'd need to have a Core 2 based compiler host (which I do not currently).

HTH,
Simon.
What OS do you recommend for Linux?  I have a strong preference to stay within Red Hat or SUSE families.

At work, I extensively use CentOS, so that's what I have now for Seti.  It's very tough to build on CentOS 4 due to old gnu utilities such as outdated Automake.

Offline zvonas

• Knight o' The Realm
  • XJR-X350
    • Real estate in Czech Republic
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2006, 04:39:33 pm »

HTH,
Simon.
Hi,
I am running Fedora Core 6 x86_64 on Xeon Clovertown - it's similar to Core2. I can compile the sources if you provide me the sources with instructions what to do.

Pavel
„Nikdy se nebojme vzdát se dobrého pro lepší.“

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2006, 04:40:21 pm »
Well,

I must say that my preferences are to stay away from RH and Suse based distros, but that's all down to taste I guess ;)

Anyway, I use Debian Sarge with some custom entries in /etc/apt/sources.list for more recent software versions mostly, as well as Slackware 10.x to compile, both work fine for me.

Also, I recently set up a Gentoo host for 64-bit compilation, though that hasn't worked too well yet.

I have no real experience with building either BOINC or S@H on RH or Suse, sorry. Generally speaking, recent versions of both should be okay. Also, it helps to make compile scripts that set lib and include paths for each compile to make sure system default settings do not intervene.

Most probably, I will buy a MacBook Pro a bit after christmas, which will enable me to run Windows, Linux and OS X on one machine (as well as being able to compile all flavours of apps for each of them). So until then of course I'd appreciate you compiling and benchmarking the 1.41 codebase on Linux.

Please use the Linux Compilation How-To as a base to get started. Tell us how it goes :)

Regards,
Simon.

Offline zvonas

• Knight o' The Realm
  • XJR-X350
Re: R-2.0 Linux apps released?
« Reply #10 on: 08 Dec 2006, 04:56:19 pm »
Ok, I'll give it a try.

Offline michael37

« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2006, 11:33:20 pm »
Ok, I'll give it a try.

You may want to try compilation wtih both IPP 5.1 and IPP 5.2 libraries. 5.2 (beta?) is available from Intel for Linux.

Version 1.41 for Core 2 was built with IPP 5.1 for Windows.

Reportedly, IPP 5.2 should have better optimizations for Core 2 Duos, but I am sure noone @seti have yet tested this new version.

Mike

Offline zvonas

• Knight o' The Realm
  • XJR-X350
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2006, 03:04:51 pm »
I gave it a try, also according to Simon's advice. I give it up, too much compiling errors to fix it... I was fixing it for almost whole day.
Sorry, thanx for understanding.
Pavel

Offline michael37

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:48:57 pm »
I gave it a try, also according to Simon's advice. I give it up, too much compiling errors to fix it... I was fixing it for almost whole day.
Pavel

Pavel, thanks for trying.   Could you please clarify whether you used the v1.41 Core2 source code or v2.0 all purpose one?

Would help us estimate the amount of work needed for this.

Offline zvonas

• Knight o' The Realm
  • XJR-X350
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2006, 05:20:52 pm »
Pavel

Pavel, thanks for trying.   Could you please clarify whether you used the v1.41 Core2 source code or v2.0 all purpose one?

Would help us estimate the amount of work needed for this.

Hi Michael, i tried both version 1.41 Core2 and version 2 - all platform. However neither of these went through compilation of first .cpp successfully. I was fixing missing headers, the paths seemed to be ok. I had to adjust the configure and compile-xxx scripts for correct paths. Analyzefunc.cpp was the first source of errors. There were some missing filles, Simon helped me a lot with his advice. However that was too much work for a men who studied the source for one weekend... :) I just wanted to help but now I see I cannot do it.
Anyway people can see how much work has been done with the optimizations, please keep on good work!
Thanx for understanding.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats