+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Clearing Einstein@Home cache?  (Read 15592 times)

Offline PatrickV2

• Knight o' The Round Table
Clearing Einstein@Home cache?
« on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi there,

Quite a while ago, when Seti@Home was extremely unstable, and I was running out of work, I added Einstein@Home as a secondary project, to in any case keep the iron warm.

Currently, I have no problems getting Seti@Home work, so I set the Einstein@Home workshare to 0.00%.

However, I still have a cache of about 1.2GB (yes, Gigabyte) of Einstein@Home WU's there. I hoped they would get deleted after a while, but the newest of  those WU's are from december 2010.

Is there a neat and easy way to clean out these files? Can I just delete them, or is there a cleaner/neater way to do this?

Thanks in advance, regards, Patrick.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: Clearing Einstein@Home cache?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:23:11 pm »
Use BOINC Manager to abort them, just select all those tasks and click abort. Then on the projects tab select the project, make sure No New Tasks is set, and click Update to report your action. The core client will clean up and delete the files.
                                                                          Joe

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:04:11 am »
Do you have some Einstein's tasks listed in BOINC manager or just ~1GB of files inside Einstein's project directory ?

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:02:25 am »
Do you have some Einstein's tasks listed in BOINC manager or just ~1GB of files inside Einstein's project directory ?

There are only files there. All related tasks have been completed and reported about 6 months ago.

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:11:06 am »
Don't just delete the files, you'll get back them again ;)

Resetting the project doesn't help either, it'll delete the files you do need, and leave behind the files you don't need!

Depends how tight you are on disk space. If you have a decent size hard disk, just leave them alone. They might help you to restart quickly next time you want to run Einstein - the whole idea is that, while Einstein uses very large data files, it uses the same ones over and over again.

If disk space is more of a problem than re-downloading the (big) files, detach from the project and re-attach.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:02:28 pm »
actually, just deleting helped me with einstei˙¾
Few times already.
Some of them will be re-downloaded, but ONLY if you get new einstein tasks that uses same data.

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
It's not like I need that 1.2GB of diskspace, it just strikes me as rather w!ste™
l. I have plenty od (download-)bandwidth available, so redownloading them if/when I get more Einstein@Home work (which will only happens when Seti has been down for several days/weeks) is no problem at all.

I suppose I'll just try deleting the wu-related files, and see what happens. If Einstein@Home redownloads them, I'm back at square one. If it doesn't, fine with me too. :) Just don't want to break that Einstein@home –stall, so that it still kicks in if/when Seti dries up again...

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
Re: x38g reports
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:15:59 pm »

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2011, 08:06:03 pm »
BOINC will re-download them at the next restart, unless you manually remove the related <file_info> references in client_state.xml

And hand-editing Client_state.xml is far more likely to cause problems than the simple detach/re-attach I suggested.

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2011, 09:51:15 pm »
BOINC will re-download them at the next restart, unless you manually remove the related <file_info> references in client_state.xml

And hand-editing Client_state.xml is far more likely to cause problems than the simple detach/re-attach I suggested.

Yeah, you're right. I deleted the files, did an 'Update' on the Einstein project, and did not get the stuff back. However, indeed, after stopping/restarting BOINC the entire bunch was being scheduled for download again.

So I Detached/Attached, and that cleaned up nicely, with only 1 minor problem: before BOINC connected to the project, it thought I had a 50/50 share between Einstein and Seti, so it downloaded 2 WUs before finding out Einstein has a 0.00% workshare. Oh well, I suppose I can live with that.

Regards,

Patrick.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats