+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Windows optimized apps to be released within a few days  (Read 33159 times)

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Re: Windows optimized apps to be released within a few days
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jul 2006, 07:13:57 pm »
Hm, not quite -

the docu I read said this: When you use the /QaxX options instead of the /QxX ones, you can use more than one optimization level. If you put more than one /QxX, only the highest supported level you enter (if you add P, it'll do SSE3) will be used.

So you can do /QaxKWNBP but not /QxKWNBP because it will use only P in the last example (or at least, that's how I read it).

The /QaxX options do make the binary slower, though. Next version I'll have a bit more time to test, maybe I'll even manage to make a super-binary that runs quickly everywhere. Doubt it though :)

Regards,
Simon.

pepperammi

« Reply #31 on: 09 Jul 2006, 08:45:39 pm »
I meant if you go into c/c++ -then- \optimization -then- scrool down there a section called 'intel specific'. In there theres an option to select "require intel processor extensions" (2 up from the parralelization you pointed out to me before) and, I'm probly missunderstanding this, it sugests that selecting for example; SSE2 then the app you've compiled will do a runtime test to check the cpu is compatable. :-\ Probly slow it down though.

I've probly misunderstood that and it actually means checks your machine can handle it before compiling it. I'd have tested it myself out of interest but both my machines go all the way upto SSE3

Anyway you've got enough on your plate to deal with already. No need for all that rubish i'm going on about. :P

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jul 2006, 08:49:06 pm »
Sorry, to clarify:

"Require Intel extensions" is /QxK  etc.
"Use Intel extensions" is /QaxK etc.

That's the two settings that are right below each other, and I'm thinking those are what you mean.

You can combine more than one "Use" setting by adding it to the command line of the compiler, but AFAIK you cannot use more than one "Require" setting.

I did not select them in the menu, instead I added the relevant call to the command line.

HTH,
Simon.

pepperammi

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2006, 05:42:26 am »
Yea that's that one I meant. Didn't mean to combine them though. Sorry about the confusion there, I worded those posts badly.

lokidude

« Reply #34 on: 25 Aug 2006, 02:12:48 pm »
Hey There Simon,
                             Many thanks for all the hard work on the optimized apps.   You mentioned a while back about
freebsd versions.  Any news on that?  I have a couple of freebsd systems that would I would just love to throw an optized seti cruncher at.

Cheers,
L.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats