+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: newer than x32f ?  (Read 23965 times)

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: newer than x32f ?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:09:45 pm »
ARGH
 would you two please let me get a word inbetween before you start a flame war ?!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Offline Helli

• Squire
« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
Was meinst du mit verletzend? Das bissel Sarkasmus?

Ich sollte wohl besser bei technischen Dingen bleiben wenn ich in englisch schreibe....

Helli

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:20:39 pm »
Thank you.

Right. First off Jason, Helli couldn't have contributed to the powerpectra - we did that just before Christmas iirc and he joined just a month ago.

Second I noticed that sarcasm works very badly across the german - english divide.

Seems like it always gets takes offensively in both directions. It requires both a high level of intelligence (tick ;) ) and very good language capabilities. Both to phrase properly and to get the sarcasm.

So, have you both calmed down now? Your babelfish surrogate is at your service ;)

Carola

Offline Helli

• Squire
« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:30:30 pm »
Ok, the last Thing i will say here.

If i hurt someone, especially Jason, it was not my intention. I have thought
that the Smilie says: "I don't mean it seriously".

Sorry again.

Zu deutsch, falls mein englisch nicht das wiedergibt was ich meine:

Falls ich jemanden verletzt habe mit meinem Beitrag, speziell Jason, tut es mir Leid, war nicht meine Absicht.
Ich dachte das zwinkernde Smilie zeigt das es nicht Ernst gemeint war.

Helli

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
Thank you.

Right. First off Jason, Helli couldn't have contributed to the powerpectra - we did that just before Christmas iirc and he joined just a month ago.

Second I noticed that sarcasm works very badly across the german - english divide.

Seems like it always gets takes offensively in both directions. It requires both a high level of intelligence (tick ;) ) and very good language capabilities. Both to phrase properly and to get the sarcasm.

So, have you both calmed down now? Your babelfish surrogate is at your service ;)

Carola

Right, Thanks Carola.

@Helli: I apologise for taking your comments as barbed attacks.  I should know by now that some things don't translate well. 

I suggest taking the time to run the PowerSpectrum Unit test #10, and maybe a read of some of the 21 pages of development contained in that thread, and hopefully you might feel a bit better having some numbers to indicate what is coming.

The public test is at: http://lunatics.kwsn.net/12-gpu-crunching/split-powerspectrum-unit-test.msg33244.html#msg33244

That test is closed now, A necessary step toward getting something into the app,  but feel free to see how it performs on your hardware.  The test piece accurately represents 40%<->60% of multibeam processing depending on angle range, along with a similar proportion of the codebase that needs rewriting.

I should add that the pressing issue mentioned at the end, related to detecting numerical disagreement between CPU<->GPU results with all current appplications.  As a result of those developments, refinements have already gone into the SaH_v7 codebase to take care of that, it turned out CPU application Results were sometimes 'noisy', and GPU apps in the clear.

Jason
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2011, 12:42:02 pm by Jason G »

Offline Miep

• Global Moderator
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:58:23 pm »
Was meinst du mit verletzend? Das bissel Sarkasmus?

Ich sollte wohl besser bei technischen Dingen bleiben wenn ich in englisch schreibe....

Helli

Jep - das 'bisserl Sarkasmus' ist grad mal bei mir als vermutlich solcher angekommen - wie Du an Jasons Reaktion gemerkt haben solltest, war das im Englischen recht verletzend.
Nichts gegen Dein Englisch, da muss ich wenigstens nicht staendig ins Deutsche rueckuebersetzen, um draus schlau zu werden ::)

Nur von Sarkasmus wuerd ich in Zukunft vielleicht Abstand nehmen ;) Und mir ist das auch schon mehrfach so gegangen, dass ich englischen Sarkasmus als verletzend empfunden habe - obwohl ein Smile dran war und es von einem engen Freund kam, wo man eigentlich erstmal perse davon ausgehen sollte, das es nicht verletzend gemeint sein kann.

Right, let's get that into some nice english..

Helli: hurtful? that touch of sarcasm? I should stick to technical when writing in english.

yes, I barely got that 'touch of sarcasm' as in all likelyhood being such - as Jason's reaction will have shown you, it was quite hurtful in englsih.
Nothing against your english (my that babelfish is really getting tired) at least I'm not forced to backtranslate to german to make head or tail of it.

I would suggest not to use sarcasm in the future. Speaking for myself, there have been various occasions, where the sarcasm of an english native speaker hurt me - even with a smily and coming from a close friend where the basic assumption should always be, that it just can not be meant hurtful.

You're welcome Jason. Sorry I didn't catch it sooner.

Offline Geek@Play

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:45:59 pm »
@   helli...........................

Better you should say nothing more here or anywhere else.  At least not till you remove your foot from your mouth.
Boinc....Boinc....Boinc....Boinc

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #22 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:40:58 pm »
@   helli...........................

Better you should say nothing more here or anywhere else.  At least not till you remove your foot from your mouth.

It's OK Geek, I think the misunderstanding has been sorted out now.

But what Helli, and anyone else who hasn't tried writing truly optimised code for themselves, could usefully do is read Jason's post http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=63033&nowrap=true#1080372 at the main project. You might be surprised at some of the points, like the "plenty of code around here that could do with a few thousand man hours of refinement as homework :D"

And that, I would judge, is several thousand hours of experienced, postgraduate refinement.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:07:14 pm »

And that, I would judge, is several thousand hours of experienced, postgraduate refinement.
ROFL, such level will require more hours cause more options will be available ;D ;D ;D

[
And in general, I would like to cite cat Leopold from one of our cartoons: "Ребята, давайте жить дружно" :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KfNSmBt60
]
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2011, 06:10:03 pm by Raistmer »

Offline RottenMutt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #24 on: 04 Mar 2011, 08:05:46 pm »
"Children, give to live harmoniously"

Offline Pepi

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2011, 09:59:39 am »
 )       _   _  _)_ o  _  _ 
(__ (_( ) ) (_( (_  ( (_ (   
 not bad for a human...  _) 

Multibeam x36c Preview, Cuda 3.2

Is there any way to get this build? Faster or not compared to build from 0.37 instaler?

Thanks for answering..

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2011, 10:13:20 am »
Hi Pepi,
It is a bit faster, though that's a prototype build tuned fairly specifically for certain hardware and has been in alpha testing on selected hosts for data gathering purposes.  It doesn't work well on general cards, but upper 2xx series & higher end Fermis it's very good, especially on hosts with lots of high end cards, due to reduced CPU & Bus contention.

There is an even newer x36e build about to go to beta that is more suited for general cards, is also faster than x32f, and is 'V7-ready'.

At the moment I'm deciding how best to put x36e (the one suitable for all cuda cards) to wider beta, without causing too much disruption, as the V7 code is unrefined and has a heavy CPU usage penalty (as with Raistmer's test V7 builds).  That doesn't appear to adversely effect legacy V6 processing on main though, and early V7 readiness would be a bonus.   

Hang tight & x36e will be in the wild soon enough.  We've had to spend more time on V7 migration instead of polishing, which just means having to be careful with a few things.

Jason

[Later:]  I've dropped PMs to pepi & Ghost, so that it gets a slightly wider online test before I get time to set up a proper beta.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 11:29:58 am by Jason G »

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2011, 06:22:08 pm »
Let me know if my little GTS-450 could be of help. I'm not a beta tester on SETI * but I would love to see what it could do with the more refined build.

* I'm afraid I would be more of a hindrance than a help over there. I need too much hand holding and barely understand what my tests mean.

Offline M_M

• Squire
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2011, 04:04:35 am »
Jason, if any help, I am also interested in this new x36e beta - currently using and GTX560Ti and i7-2600K...

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2011, 04:09:55 am »
Jason, if any help, I am also interested in this new x36e beta - currently using and GTX560Ti and i7-2600K...

Let me know if my little GTS-450 could be of help. I'm not a beta tester on SETI * but I would love to see what it could do with the more refined build.

* I'm afraid I would be more of a hindrance than a help over there. I need too much hand holding and barely understand what my tests mean.

Thanks both, will be putting to wider beta as soon as I get the time. A bit tied up for now  ;)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672