+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Need help with decision  (Read 14519 times)

Offline IrishFBall32

• Squire
Re: Need help with decision
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:21:18 am »
There is absolutely no reason to run *just* SETI... maybe you set its priority ridiculously high so that its all that gets any useful work, but during outages (scheduled or unplanned), SETI can and will go down for some time, and some other project would be quite grateful to benefit from those spare cycles that would otherwise be idle.

This is the entire reason SETI went to the BOINC platform in the first place, so PLEASE join at least one other project!

Offline SciManStev

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:22:26 pm »
My thoughts are that once the new server is up and running, and the other servers have been switched around, the need for the 3 day outage might dwindle, which means that the servers wouldn't be getting hammered so badly when the outage is over. The ghosts realy started being a problem when the servers were stressed to max for several days without a break. If up time was longer, I would gladly cut back on the size of my cache, and I'm sure others would too. Now, with the planned, and unplanned outages, a large cache is needed, which puts greater strain on the servers. I do think this situation will work itself out. I have crunched for Einstein, and although they make minimal use of my 480's, whene ever I have needed a backup project, Einstein loads me with work very quickly. It was exciting that they found that binary system. To me, if I am doing science, then I'm happy.

Steve

Offline skildude

• Knight o' The Round Table
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:57:24 am »
I doubt that the outages will dwindle since they are still have 10 years of work to process through the NTPKr.  This may take a great deal of time to complete and they didnt't leave us an estimate for it

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
Whatever you decide, I hope you wont leave SETI. If not for science, stay for friendship :)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672