Forum > Linux

Linux on Intel 965 chipsets Saga

<< < (2/2)

Fivestar Crashtest:
I went through a Fedora Core 6 install on an Athlon 64 2800 GA-K8VM800M with an MX 4000 video card successfully.  But when I tried to install it on the E6700 on the P5B, it booted to console.  I hate that. I think that like Suse, Fedora Core must not like Nvidia 6000 series video cards.  When I tried it on the Pentium D 960/P5LD2-VM, it didn't boot at all.

But I've been playing with Edgy XUbuntu on the Athlon 64 2800.  I tried some commands to change the default shell to bash, but this did not help.  So I just don't know the reason you can't run BOINC from the home folder. 

I thought I'd give the Ubuntu repository BOINC a shot.  I thought it didn't work, but when I booted the computer up this morning, it downloaded some Seti.  I used sudo tar xfvj to get Simon's optimized app into the projects folder, which is in var/lib/boinc-client/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu.  It worked!  They're in there!  I can't get the old setiathome enhanced out, but I'm hoping it doesn't matter, since the app info file is the right one, I guess it overwrote the other one.  We'll see over the course of the next couple of days whether I really am running optimized Chicken apps with 64 bit BOINC. :-\  64 bit BOINC has juicy benchmarks but I guess now the benchmarks don't matter.

But I feel rather demotivated to try this all again on the E6700.  Especially since the Core 2 Duo optimized app came out for Windows.  But I see they have Core 2 Duo Xeons now and the Core 2 Quad is just around the corner so maybe I will undertake a new building project after Christmas and have some Linux options then.

clownius:
Ugh i had my own nightmare with the 965 series boards with Kubunut 6.06 Dapper.
In the end im working but i think just.  I had to compile my own kernel(took no less than 3 attempts to get everything right, not bad considering its the first thing ive ever compiled in my life lol), then my display driver wouldnt work in xwindows.... so i had to again move the HDD to my old computer and switch to the Edgy repositories to update xwindows and get the driver for new intel onboard graphics cards, then to top it all off i couldnt get any network cards to work (even one from another linux box wouldnt work) until i finally disabled ipv6 on nothing more than a guess.  but its working now just not very prety lol.
Now i have some package issues and need to sort them out but its usable and crunching.

Edit: To add insult to injury i cant acess my DVD burner nemore lol.  on that one im taking an easy out and getting a SATA adapter for it

Azzitude:
or you could get a sata dvd burner from plextor and be done with it

clownius:
The adapter failed miserable and i ended up with a Plextor DVD-Burner lol.  but it did set me back 4234 and my next lowest quote was $275.  I have a QX6700 machine in the works so once that arrives ill move my poorly installed Kubuntu HDD over to that and go a fresh Linux install.  As the latest Live/Install CD's now work just fine on 965 series mobbos i should be able to get the machine compiling again but no promises.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version