+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: BOINC/Lunatics + Diablo II on Win7-64  (Read 20026 times)

Offline PatrickV2

• Knight o' The Round Table
Re: BOINC/Lunatics + Diablo II on Win7-64
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2010, 03:11:11 pm »
I play much more intensive games that DII and I find I always need to snooze the GPU on BOINC. 

I hope you are aware I am already 'snoozing' the GPU, I was and am talking about the current impact of CPU processing.

Under WinXP32 I could also run much more intensive games _while_ BOINC was still crunching along (for instance Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc). No detectable impact from BOINC running these.

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2010, 03:31:25 pm »
I play much more intensive games that DII and I find I always need to snooze the GPU on BOINC. 

As Far as testing on Seti beta, I assumed they wanted to test the app that we downloaded from them.  Are we allowed or should we be using the latest beta from Lunatics.  the current version on seti beta works fine on my 5850. 
Well, considering that app distributed on beta is just my own binary rev280 build, I think we ARE allowed. BTW, this was discussed long ago for third parti application. Answer is YES, as long as group of third party app users small enough.
But in current case there are no "separate" stock app, all ATI apps comes from here.

Offline skildude

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2010, 04:37:51 pm »
I've been able to play my games quite easily without glitching on the seti hybrid without snoozing the GPU.  I noticed while using GPUz that the GPU is infrequent and used less than 50% of the GPU when processing.  I have to assume results may vary depending on the strength of your GPU

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2010, 04:57:28 pm »
I've been able to play my games quite easily without glitching on the seti hybrid without snoozing the GPU.  I noticed while using GPUz that the GPU is infrequent and used less than 50% of the GPU when processing.  I have to assume results may vary depending on the strength of your GPU
The speed of completion (of the Hybrid app) has a lot more bearing on the speed of the CPU, than it has on the GPU,

E8500 @4.14Ghz / HD5770 takes about 8 to 10 hours on CPU app, about 7 to 9 hours on Hybrid app (doing 2 at once), and about 6¼ hours with the OpenCL app,

while my XP3200 @2.2Ghz / HD4650 takes 2¼ days just to do one Wu on the Hybrid app, probably only ½ day quicker than the CPU app.

Claggy

« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 05:10:04 pm by Claggy »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2010, 05:06:07 pm »
Claggy is right. The reason - GPU part strongly memory-dependent.
Different GPUs differ in its computational strenght but almost not in their memory bandwidth (of course, there are really low-end ones with memory bandwidth halved, but I speak about midrange and high-end GPUs, they mostly differ in number of computaional blocks).
CPU part writtent to be cache friendly while GPU part almost no use of cache (cache size much smaller than dataset for GPU).

Offline PatrickV2

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

I hope you are aware I am already 'snoozing' the GPU, I was and am talking about the current impact of CPU processing.

Under WinXP32 I could also run much more intensive games _while_ BOINC was still crunching along (for instance Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc). No detectable impact from BOINC running these.

Regards,

Patrick.

Oh, and more addition: it's not only games which suffer; I forgot to mention VMWare Workstation, running a VM, is also terribly slow with BOINC/CPU active. Under WinXP32: again no problems, I could run a VM while BOINC was running with BOINC nicely throttling back giving cycles to the VM.

The Win7 scheduler seems to be horribly 'b0rken'.

Ciao, Patrick.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559