+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: WARNING - unified installer may (currently) delete all work units  (Read 17443 times)

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: WARNING - unified installer may (currently) delete all work units
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:29:51 am »
Ah. Thank you. Then I "know of it" in the sense I've seen that choice but have never implemented venues. They're all on home and all receive their preferences via BOINC Work Preferences. I only have one Work Preference, i.e. all PCs get the same instructions. There are no local prefs set.

thanks Art

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • My computers at Seti Beta
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:10:16 am »
Ah. Thank you. Then I "know of it" in the sense I've seen that choice but have never implemented venues. They're all on home and all receive their preferences via BOINC Work Preferences. I only have one Work Preference, i.e. all PCs get the same instructions. There are no local prefs set.

thanks Art
What do you mean by Boinc Work Preferences?, Do you mean you only have one set of Computing Preferences? ie the 'Primary (default) preferences' only?, and the others aren't shown?

and what about the SETI@home preferences? is there just the 'Primary (default) preferences' there?, and the others aren't shown?,

and all these computers of yours: Computers belonging to W5GA, W5TAT, W0MOE, K6XT are all set to the home venue?

Claggy
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2010, 10:22:53 am by Claggy »

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2010, 12:17:03 pm »
Right, right and right. In SETI prefs all work options are turned on, set to use GPU and all CPU etc. The only throttle I have set via prefs is memory 95% if no user, 75% while PC is in use - my PC's all have at least 2GB RAM & only set that pref because NFS was sucking up huge chunks of memory for a while 750MB per WU, brought the quad cores to their knees. The link to my little group is correct. The BOINC work preferences is the link with that label on my BOINCstats page.

Looking at the M6300 SETI work this morning, it has downloaded more and they're all CUDA WU. Still no CPU work. Any suggestions? Link to PC: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=5242895

I am stumped which WRT distributed computing apps is very easy to do. Today I'm reverting a older PC with W7 x32 to stock SETi apps so I can see what is supposed to be in the SETI work directory.

Many thanks to you and Raistmer for trying to help me get this errant PC running right.
Regards

PS is the computer named "4State" one you joined to my group?
Art
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2010, 12:20:24 pm by k6xt »

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2010, 02:27:58 pm »
If you go to the Projects tab, highlight the Seti project, and click the Properties Button,
Now can you post the Scheduling details that are shown there, please, Both CPU & GPU, and DCF,

Also, do you have any other CPU work from other projects?

Claggy

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2010, 02:50:01 pm »
Properties screenshot attached. In addition to SETI Cuda WU the M6300 laptop also runs ABC, Milkyway, NFS, Einstein. All CPU work but SETI.

Edit: I suspended all other applications. Wonders never cease. Seti downloaded some CPU work! Thanks for pointing me off in the right direction. Now I can get back to the original problem: Installing KWSN 64 bit  optimized apps deletes all current WU and SETI will not download anything at all to M6300 laptop.
Regards
Art
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2010, 03:01:06 pm by k6xt »

Offline Claggy

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:35:50 pm »
Properties screenshot attached. In addition to SETI Cuda WU the M6300 laptop also runs ABC, Milkyway, NFS, Einstein. All CPU work but SETI.

Edit: I suspended all other applications. Wonders never cease. Seti downloaded some CPU work! Thanks for pointing me off in the right direction. Now I can get back to the original problem: Installing KWSN 64 bit  optimized apps deletes all current WU and SETI will not download anything at all to M6300 laptop.
Regards
Art
Remember, the Advice on the Download page for the Installer is to drain the cache first,
So set NNT, use ReSchedule to rebrand VLAR's, drain cache, then use Installer,

Claggy

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:39:49 am »
Remember, the Advice on the Download page for the Installer is to drain the cache first,
So set NNT, use ReSchedule to rebrand VLAR's, drain cache, then use Installer,

Claggy
My original request for help wasn't about "no CPU work", it was about after installing KWSN optimized apps with the new installer, SETI refused to download anything at all. First doing as you suggest: Drain the cache etc.

So, now with your help I've seen how BOINC/SETI can take control of my work situation based on history. After I let the dust settle, do a few standard WU, I'm ready to go back on the original situation, see if I can get optimized apps running. SETI is so slow without them, either the optimized apps will work or I'll put this PC on something else entirely. How things change. I remember a few years ago 150 hours per WU was absolutely normal.
Regards
Art

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #22 on: 03 Feb 2010, 12:53:42 pm »
With apologies to my copilots I saved a couple WU as a test. They were gone after running the 64 bit installer on my M6300. The good news is it all seems to be working now after reinstalling BOINC and the optimized apps. Thanks for the help.
Regards
Art

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats