Forum > Linux

CUDA and SLI

<< < (3/3)

Claggy:

--- Quote from: pp on 10 Oct 2009, 05:09:30 am ---This post and the fix listed under CUDA makes me wonder if there perhaps was a regression in 190.x...

--- End quote ---

Fixed the link, it has a " at the end.

Claggy

sunu:
That is a windows driver. If you want to experiment, try the two things I posted above.

pp:
Yes, I know it was the Windows driver. Not having any insight into nvidia's developing process, I just assumed all the different platform drivers comes from the same code base. I'm not in the experimental mode atm unless someone smells a bug here and would benefit from me testing this more thoroughly.
Thanks Claggy for fixing the link. I've corrected it in the original post. Not used to forum software that don't use quotation marks in their url bbcode...

sunu:
Yes, the code base is more or less the same.

Apart from the problem with cuda, did you use your pc with sli enabled for a while? How was the performance? When I got my GTX295, I tried sli and the performance was much much worse.

pp:
No, this was the very first time I enable SLI on the card and I never got around to try any games since I wanted Boinc up and running again. I would assume AFR mode would give the best performance but this was something I wanted to try since I didn't even know what mode was activated when set to "auto". Judging from one of the Q&A:s in the README, the mode selection might be dynamic depending on what game is running and this detection seems to fail sometimes. Don't know if that's related to your experience.

Q. Why is Doom 3 slower when SLI or Multi-GPU is enabled?

A. The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver does not automatically detect
   the optimal SLI or Multi-GPU settings for games such as Doom 3 and Quake 4.
   To work around this issue, the environment variable __GL_DOOM3 can be set
   to tell OpenGL that Doom 3's optimal settings should be used. In Bash, this
   can be done in the same command that launches Doom 3 so the environment
   variable does not remain set for other OpenGL applications started in the
   same session:

% __GL_DOOM3=1 doom3

Doom 3's startup script can also be modified to set this environment
   variable:

#!/bin/sh
       # Needed to make symlinks/shortcuts work.
       # the binaries must run with correct working directory
       cd "/usr/local/games/doom3/"
       export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:.
       export __GL_DOOM3=1
       exec ./doom.x86 "$@"

This environment variable is temporary and will be removed in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version