Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (91/167) > >>

arkayn:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on 05 Sep 2011, 06:28:52 am ---Could one of our resident ATI driver gurus have a look at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=6846, please?

It's always been the case that NVidia drivers are inaccessible to BOINC installed in 'Protected Application Execution' (aka 'service') mode under Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The posters in that thread seem to be implying that ATI drivers up to and including 11.6 could be used in service mode, but 11.7 and onwards have moved towards the NVidia behaviour. Is that a change which the people who monitor such things can corroborate?

--- End quote ---

Even with the 9.x drivers, I could not install in service mode and have BOINC see my video cards. Same with the 10.x and 11.x versions.

Richard Haselgrove:
OK folks, stand down - false alarm. The OP has come back and re-posted in the thread I linked, explaining clearly what he means this time. Appears to be a BOINC client problem with restarting after a reboot, with 11.7 or later drivers.

Raistmer:
BUT (!) ATi claims that starting from SDK 2.5 OpenCL can be used in service mode...

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Raistmer on 05 Sep 2011, 01:23:30 pm ---BUT (!) ATi claims that starting from SDK 2.5 OpenCL can be used in service mode...

--- End quote ---

'can' and whether Boinc fully implements the required new procedures are two different things.  Cuda apps 'can' too, but there is required a protected part & a user mode part for those.  If AMD found a way to make it work completely transparently then good show, but I do expect some code gymnastics would be required even then.

Jason

Ghost0210:

--- Quote from: Raistmer on 05 Sep 2011, 01:23:30 pm ---BUT (!) ATi claims that starting from SDK 2.5 OpenCL can be used in service mode...

--- End quote ---

Is that like ATI saying they will resolve the high CPU usage in Cat 11.8 & SDK2.5  ::) :D

--- Quote from: Jason G on 05 Sep 2011, 01:29:50 pm ---'can' and whether Boinc fully implements the required new procedures are two different things.  Cuda apps 'can' too, but there is required a protected part & a user mode part for those.  If AMD found a way to make it work completely transparently then good show, but I do expect some code gymnastics would be required even then.

Jason

--- End quote ---

I've just tested this out of idle curiosity, and with Boinc installed in protected execution mode, and Cat 11.8 SDK2.5 installed, Boinc mngr can't connect to the client let alone see the GPU
I'd love to be able to run Boinc as a service, but think there's a way to go before it gets there

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version