Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (81/167) > >>

Richard Haselgrove:
Hmmm. Yes, the notebook 280.26 WHQL driver is available too. And there's a special note:

--- Quote from: NVIDIA ---For the best experience, NVIDIA strongly recommends installing the following DELL SBIOS update before installing the NVIDIA notebook reference driver.

Installing this driver without the latest Dell SBIOS may cause the system fan noise to become more noticeable.
--- End quote ---

Since my fan is running full-blast all day, every day (it's positively distracting when an MB task finishes, and it cools down and reduces the fan speed for 10 seconds or so), that doesn't worry me - but it's interesting that they mention it.

What's an SBIOS?

Oh, OK - it takes me to a "System BIOS" page. For mine, version A08, released August 1st 2011.  That's interesting, too. Might be something they discovered in Beta or pre-beta.

Later - updated the BIOS, installed 280.26 Here's the full set of ChirpTest results. Conditions are slightly different from last time - I ran these immediately after the reboot, before starting BOINC, so the CPU was effectively unloaded: last time, BOINC was running, and I just suspended GPU crunching. But each set is internally consistent. Temperatures seemed lower during the ChirpTest, perhaps because of that. Now I'm back to normal running, the GPU temperature is stable at 71C, much as it was before the upgrade.

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove link=topic=708.msg40803#msg40803 ---...Temperatures seemed lower during the ChirpTest, perhaps because of that. Now I'm back to normal running, the GPU temperature is stable at 71C, much as it was before the upgrade.
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Still seems pretty warm to me for 16 GFlops, but I suppose it is a mobile chipset & those tend to be rated for higher temps IIRC.

In the meantime, my mother's new i5 w/560ti has come together well, and has been passing all Pre-Boinc/Lunatics stress & burn-in tests etc.  When I can eventually get Mum off it, we'll be able to compare a few of the issues...  [Have made sure it has the 280.26 WHQL driver just now]

...Only problem so far is that she chose all good gear with the intent of making it last for at least a few years, so now it completely hoses my wolfdale/480 machine, is much smaller, quieter, cooler & more efficient , so getting her off of it for long testing periods might be tricky (at least for a while).

Jason

Richard Haselgrove:

--- Quote from: Jason G on 09 Aug 2011, 11:58:31 am ---...Only problem so far is that she chose all good gear...
--- End quote ---

She didn't have any, er, assistance in making that choice, did she - by any chance?

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove link=topic=708.msg40806#msg40806 ---She didn't have any, er, assistance in making that choice, did she - by any chance?
--- End quote ---

LoL, 'course she did... options above & below given.  She has expensive tastes & the Aussie dollar is high (or everywhere else is in the toilet)  :D  ( The mistake was letting her play games on my machine beforehand, so naturally she wanted better, but quieter, smaller & prettier  ::) )

arkayn:
I just installed the new driver on my GTX560 machine, will see how it does with it.

I am coming back up from 270.48 that I installed trying to find the desktop bug I am still seeing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version