Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (72/167) > >>

skildude:
won't make much of a difference unless they stop the CPU fallback.  Otherwise, the best performance for GPU is still the 11.2 drivers. 
|'ve found it easier to set my BOINC to not crunch GPU while the computer is in use.  This eliminates the need to remember to snooze the GPU when I watch videos or play games

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Pizzadude on 24 Jun 2011, 02:23:47 am ---
--- Quote from: Ghost on 20 Jun 2011, 03:03:40 pm ---Nvidia 275.5 BETA drivers have been released, with support for CUDA 4.1

--- End quote ---

Anybody got any positive or negative  experience with this release ??

--- End quote ---

So far all has been going swimmingly with these drivers here, with GTX480 & GTX 260 running test builds.  I did go through the firefox 5 & IE9 settings to stop them pinching my GPU resources, and I think both crunching & web browsing function better together this way, though I suppose that would be system specific

Pizzadude:

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

So far all has been going swimmingly with these drivers here, with GTX480 & GTX 260 running test builds.  I did go through the firefox 5 & IE9 settings to stop them pinching my GPU resources, and I think both crunching & web browsing function better together this way, though I suppose that would be system specific

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

I am running 2 X GTX460 and also use Firefox 5.  I enabled the GPU support for about a week before disabling again and to be honest could not tell any difference from a browsing point of view.

k6xt:
I've used the new 0.38 installer on an Nvidia machine GTX275. Plus the latest Nvidia 275.33 installer. Seems all to be working very well. I was having some "Error while computing" results, these have stopped. In a few I'm off to install on an ATI 4870 equipped PC.

Question: Is rescheduling still necessary? Some posts imply changes at SETI have reduced the need. Others refer to Fred's reschedule 2.0 but Search Site didn't find me a link.

Claggy:

--- Quote from: k6xt on 11 Jul 2011, 12:29:47 pm ---Question: Is rescheduling still necessary? Some posts imply changes at SETI have reduced the need. Others refer to Fred's reschedule 2.0 but Search Site didn't find me a link.

--- End quote ---
See the CPU <-> GPU rebranding thread for a link to Fred's tool.

I never reschedule tasks anymore, NewCredit is determined by how long a device takes to run a task, rescheduling swaps tasks across devices without telling the server,
if your cache is set to a reasonable level, so GPU work fetch stops because it's full, then CPU will fill up too,
(you can also disable Nvidia GPU work fetch in your preferences until your CPU fills up, then re-enable Nvidia GPU work fetch)
and of course VLAR's aren't sent to Nvidia GPU's anymore,

Claggy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version