Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (67/167) > >>

Richard Haselgrove:
I never explored the possibilities with the 470. Was running stable with 266.58, and I left it at that. (I don't really like running Beta drivers, along with Beta apps - change one thing at a time, I reckon).

Having said that, it threw a complete wobbly and crashed BOINC, trashed SETI tasks, about an hour ago. Maybe heat - first really warm day of summer. I'm giving the machine a checkover, loading 275.33, will probably start afresh with x38b when I'm sure it's working OK. Some interesting error messages to post when I get control of the machine again.

Claggy:
My host threw a wobbly yesterday, kept locking up, it then managed to loose the Einstein project, after reatttaching to Einstein and getting the same Wu's back, it did it again,
so i disassembled it, disassembled the GPU's and cleaned them out, reassembled them, then cleaned out the CPU cooler, now stable again, phew,

Claggy

benool:
I tried 275.33 today and had to revert immediately as tasks were all completing with 'computation error' within a few seconds.

Looking at BOINC initialization messages, I think it could be related to the new unified memory addressing introduced in CUDA 4.

With 266.58 I get this:
03/06/2011 11:38:31      NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 8600 GTS (driver version unknown, CUDA version 3020, compute capability 1.1, 240MB, 96 GFLOPS peak)

With 275.33 I got something like this (not exact copy/paste):
NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 8600 GTS (driver version unknown, CUDA version 4000, compute capability 1.1, 209MB, 96 GFLOPS peak)

Notice how suddenly there seems to be only 209Mb available out of 256Mb from the card?

If memory serves well, MB cuda takes around 220Mb so 240Mb is already just barely enough but at 209Mb it just isn't enough anymore and it fails...

Miep:
x38e JUST runs on my 256 MiB card on 266 drivers with 253 MiB used in total. 270 driver goes over the edge, memory need wise (same for x32f). I haven't tried 275, but I don't think the memory footprint has gotten smaller again. Until such time as Jason can reduce required memory, I fear 256 MiB card owners are stuck on 266.58 drivers.

Thanks for confirming that the are other 256 MiB cards out there beside my Quadro 570M alpha testing system.

benool:
You're welcome.

I forgot to mention it but yes, the tests were made with x32f version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version