Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (52/167) > >>

k6xt:

--- Quote from: Jason G on 05 Nov 2010, 07:36:10 pm ---Any 256+  series driver installed ( 260.99 seems good ) will be enough for 0.37 .  Cuda 3.2 builds won't be released until sometime after nVidia relase one witnout the RC tag, and some worthwhile imrovements can be added.

--- End quote ---

OK thank you. Been a bit out of touch this summer. I'm still using CUDA 2.3.  Best to just wait, or find 3.1 drivers?

For CUDA 2.3 and prior there were specific dll's etc to install. I didn't see that for V3.x. Has this changed while I was busy ranching?
Tnx Art

Jason G:

--- Quote from: k6xt on 06 Nov 2010, 12:05:21 am ---For CUDA 2.3 and prior there were specific dll's etc to install. I didn't see that for V3.x. Has this changed while I was busy ranching?
Tnx Art

--- End quote ---

Basically the Cuda 3.0 build in the 0.37 installer comes with, and installs, the ones it needs,  and nVidia's changed the way things work by specifically naming the DLLs by version the application was built with.  So swapping DLLs around is no longer recommended, and while could possibly work (with jiggering) is not guaranteed to be reliable & stable etc.   For pre Fermi cards, there are some reliability benefits to using the newer Cuda 3.0 build in the 0.37 installer (x32f), though not a great deal of speed difference yet.  Cuda 3.1 itself had some issues with Multi-GPU setups that prevented a release, so next one will be 3.2.

Since there are quite a few new features in 3.2 to make use of toward eeking out a bit more performance & stability, the next release will be based on that one but will be a way off.  That is because using those features requires fairly extensive code modifications for both Fermi & Pre-Fermi archiotectures to see enough benefit to be worth the effort.

jason

k6xt:
Jason thank you for the explanation on advancements while I've been distracted. I'll move to the 0.37 installer on the farm.
BR
Art

Ghost0210:
New AMD drivers are out, 10-11 APP http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx
BUT

--- Quote ---OpenCL 1.1 conformance tests have not been run with this version of the ATI Catalyst Driver Suite in conjunction with the ATI Stream SDK v2.2. If you require an OpenCL 1.1 conformant driver, we recommend that you install the ATI Catalyst 10.10 Driver Suite

--- End quote ---

Looks like a slight speed increase as well on Raistmers ATI MB build
for a midrange AR task down from ~ 1hr 36 > ~1hr 25

Also getting less screen lag with these new drivers :D

Richard Haselgrove:
Somebody at GPUGrid has noticed that the Cuda 3.2 toolkit is also available for general download - http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda_3_2_downloads.html

What a coincidence ;D. Haven't gone looking for any matching drivers yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version