Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (34/167) > >>

SciManStev:
I used to use a 295, and I was told that it was a very powerful card. The card alone was generating about 8000 RAC. I kept getting -1 errors, which as I am learning may have been due to the drivers that were available at the time. I gave the card to another cruncher, and he is having better luck with it using new drivers. My two 480's have demolished anything I was getting with the dual 295, so I consider them a very good choice. Perhaps by the time a dual 480 comes out I will have the money to buy a couple of them. I can always dream.....

Steve

Fredericx51:
Have installed/switched a GTX480 in stead of the 9800GTX+.

Quite a BIG difference, now running 3 SETI MB CUDA together, does take a lot of power to get it to
run, it has 1x 8 pin connector, 1 x6, both have to be used and be able to deliver 17A + 17A + 5- 8A via Mobo, also gets extremely hot, 85- 95C !
Had to switch PSU's to get it fed with enough power. Mobo and PSU appeared to 'light to get 2 (470) of them running on this Mobo!  :o

And the latest drivers, CUDA 3.1, think it can run even 4 SETI MB tasks at a time.
Now have a good reason to build another rig for the 470 ,  9800GTX+ (1.1 Compute Capabillity) doesn't work together with a 470 or 480, maybe Mobo related, but I'm not sure.

At GPUGrid you can clearly see how fast they are, running their latest WU's .

SciManStev:
The 480's do run hot, but that's why I water cool them. I can over clock them to extremes and never see even 48C. I am currently running at 840 Mhz, with more room to play. Temps are 42 and 44C at the moment. I am running 2 wu's at a time, but perhaps experimenting when time permits can change that.

Steve

Fredericx51:
Even on  'air -cooling' ,  the 480 can control temps, using the Fan Settings and according to NVidia's
Spec's, they are 'build' , to run quite hot.  (~100C !)
Have installed the 258.96 drivers, but it's hard to compaire anything a.t.m.  Can't even see any increase in runtime, going from 2 to 3 running parallel.  Also read, that's possible to run 4 at a time, thinking
of trying this, with stock settings.
Has anybody, with an 480 tried this and compaired runtimes, on WU's with about the same AR, f.i.
~0.4 and maybe also 0.1 or >1 ?

With SETI OnLine, it's much easier and I do hope the A/C unit failiar, hasn't done any serious damage.  Does anybody know, what the 'plan' is and when SETI is going online ?
Could be next friday, since the weekly maintenance, would have started today, anyway....... ::)

Ghost0210:
new Beta driver is released http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.63-beta-driver-uk.html version 260.63
Gonna give it a go and see what happens  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version