Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (31/167) > >>

chelski:

--- Quote from: Gizbar on 10 Jul 2010, 01:37:20 pm ---I think you'll have problems. The only time I got a 256Mb GFX card to work was on Windows XP 32. It was also running at 1280x1024 as the screen I had was only a 17" CRT at the time. The screen modes for Vista and Win 7 seem to require more memory, and not leave enough for the app to use...
Giz.

--- End quote ---
Thanks.  Guess there's nothing much that can be done about it, after playing around with various settings and Cuda version, it is a pity that the GPU have to remain idle

TouchuvGrey:
Can anyone tell me if the newest NVidia driver ( 258.96 ) will
let my GT220 and GTS250 cards crunch faster ? Currently
using  197.45 

ndblaikie:
From the post on the Seti forums at Berkeley, it seems that a lot of people have noticed a small decrease in crunch time for work units. So yes it should.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=60815

Questor:
I have just upgraded one Windows XP 64 PC (2 * GTX470) to using 258.96 drivers and noticed an odd behaviour.

Some CUDA Fermi tasks start normally, high CPU while loading data until they reach about 87MBytes of Windows memory and then drop down to 0% CPU utilisation. Elapsed and completion time then starts clocking up but progress remains at 0. Normal tasks use about 100Mbytes.

I have found a couple of tasks after a few hours like this - proably as a result of increased rsc_fpops_bound to overcome -177 errors.

Suspending the tasks allows a new task to start OK and progress so not a GPU problem. Unsuspending the task allows it to reload and it still sits there doing nothing.

This might have happened before the driver upgrade but thought I'd ask before dropping back to a previous version to see if it still occurs. I mainly upgraded to this version as it was highly recommended in the 0.37 Unified Installer readme.

I want to try out the new installer to try out the new CUDA app - might do that first to see if it behaves the same way.

John.

Edit: Changed to task to run on CPU and it errored out after a few seconds with a -9 result.
Shortly after another GPU task stopped with just over 8MBytes RAM used and no progress. Have also changed to CPU but not run yet.

Edit2: Installed 0.37 UI and allowed previous WU to rerun as CUDA task. The Lunatcs CUDA app errored out after about 30 seconds with a -12 error rather than hanging like the stock cuda_fermi app.
Second hung task also completed sucessfully with no errors (both running x32f preview)

1   21ap10aa.3011.1703.10.10.0
2   21ap10ae.28533.18063.7.10.171

Fredericx51:
I noticed an unexpected behavior from my GTX470! (QX9650+GTX470),  since memory-- and Cntr-- and GPU-LOAD, are low, I let  run 2 SETI MB (VLAR also), but now I'm seeing it runs a third tasks, a GPUGrid WU, also using the 470.
Running WIN XP64, BOINC 6.10.58, 'f' version of FERMI app. and SSSE3 optimized MB.
Will keep an eye, on this, OTOH, heard from several people, running 3 MB task's on 1 FERMI, isn't
 giving troubles and task's.

Hmm,  a second look reveils after 1 (or 2) second's,  both SETI MB tasks are pauzed, considering
necessary GPU--; Memory-- and MemCntr- Load ,  gets way too high, also too much difference between app.'s.
Anyway the Lunatics, made an excellent app, congratz to this great application.

So far no -9; or too much time passed, forgot the error-number ,  even at lower Angle Ranges
like 0.0106(AR), the 470 doesn't give problems.
I've the 257.21 drivers installed and CUDA 3.1. (3010)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version