Forum > GPU crunching

Latest drivers (NVidia and ATI)

<< < (3/167) > >>

Purple Rabbit:
I have seen people urging everyone (in a number of threads) to update their CUDA dlls. Perhaps this is a silly question, but my 8600GTS is only a CUDA 1.1 device. Why would I want to do this? I'm guessing what I have is as good as it gets. I have the 185 drivers and 2.2 CUDA dlls. Are there any advantages with the new dlls for an old (sheesh, I bought it last year) card?

I normally upgrade just on general principles, but I've always assumed that I'm pushing on a rope for my venerable card  :)

Rick

Jason G:
1.1 is the hardware 'Compute Capability' not Cuda, Cuda is the language/Libraries used.  While your hardware remains the same, recent rapid development in drivers & Cuda seems to have been fuelled by another certain technology push still to come, which is making underlying driver/library support critical to performance.

Purple Rabbit:
Thank you Jason. I missed that distinction (because I didn't understand it  ;) )

Hi ho, hi ho, off to update I go  ;D

Richard Haselgrove:
In the meantime, my 9800-series cards are also compute capability 1.1, and the new 190.38 drivers plus CUDA 2.3 DLLs have just speeded them up by ~30%.

Samuel:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on 22 Jul 2009, 12:27:21 pm ---In the meantime, my 9800-series cards are also compute capability 1.1, and the new 190.38 drivers plus CUDA 2.3 DLLs have just speeded them up by ~30%.

--- End quote ---

Same here (9800 GT). Mid-range AR 17.5 min to 12 min, VHAR 7 min to 3 min  :o :)
Almost offsetting the new increased sensitivity...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version