Forum > Linux

What Linux dist to use?

(1/3) > >>

notalent:
Just wondering if it matters at all which distro to use?

I used the latest ubuntu but am wondering if using a "server" distribution woudl be better since I don't need any of the graphics.

Does anyone have a favorite?

sunu:

--- Quote from: notalent on 07 Jul 2009, 12:31:53 pm ---I used the latest ubuntu but am wondering if using a "server" distribution would be better since I don't need any of the graphics.

--- End quote ---

If I'm not mistaken you need a hack to run cuda without x server.

notalent:
I think I posted in the correct forum, forgive me if I didn't.

I won't be using CUDA--just some extra AMD processors.  Can this still work without X?

Purple Rabbit:
I've been using the various versions of SUSE on a number of remote computers. While I have the X server running for remote administration you can certainly run optimized CPU apps without an X server. Telnet and BOINCcmd should do it for you. I run the X server because I'm too lazy to dink around with telnet  :) If your computer isn't headless (remote), then you don't need telnet.

A Linux server isn't needed. Just configure what you have to boot to level 3 (command line, no graphics) instead of level 5. Of course this requires you to know what to do from there  ;D

Can you give a little more information as to why you want to do this?

Rick

notalent:
I just didnt' know if it would be better for performance to have nothing esle running while boinc + optimized seti was running.  Just wanted to use every last ounce of processing power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version