+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod  (Read 139790 times)

FireGate_13

Re: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod
« Reply #60 on: 01 Feb 2009, 09:28:58 am »
I noticed the next strange things:
1. When MB_6.08_mod_CPU_team_CUDA.exe starts uses 100% of one core for about 1 minute.
2. I was surprised when I saw BOINC was crunching astropulse units I had stored in my pc even if I had installed correctly your mod. It used optimised ap_5.00r103_SSE3.exe so it is good..
3. I was confused when I saw 3 threads , 2 astropulse and one seti MB running on my 2 cores (AMD x2 5400+) and CUDA dissappeared from my task manager. the 2 AP were using 25% and seti_MB_cpu 50%.

I really would like to see which of three SETI_MB_wu's is using my GPU. Before it was written like this: (CUDA) in  boinc manager.
Thanks for your great mod! I love it!
My system is :
AMD x2 5400+(2.6Ghz) and nvidia 9800GT(oc'ed) and when my cpu had 11% done of two wu's my gpu had allready finished its first unit:D It's like it runs 10x faster!!!

Leopoldo

« Reply #61 on: 01 Feb 2009, 10:16:03 am »
1. When MB_6.08_mod_CPU_team_CUDA.exe starts uses 100% of one core for about 1 minute.

It's just a sign about CUDA starting part

3. I was confused when I saw 3 threads , 2 astropulse and one seti MB running on my 2 cores (AMD x2 5400+) and CUDA dissappeared from my task manager. the 2 AP were using 25% and seti_MB_cpu 50%.

I really would like to see which of three SETI_MB_wu's is using my GPU. Before it was written like this: (CUDA) in  boinc manager.

Did you miss Message 859062 from Raistmer at S@H forum?

i.e.

"
How it works:
for BOINC it looks as usual CPU opt app installed. BOINC will call CPU app (AK_v8b_win_SSSE3x_GPU_CPU_team.exe in our case) and assign one of SETI MB tasks for it. But this app aware of possibility to use GPU for computations. It will check if another instance (it knows only itself and its clones, so - no other GPU-related projects please) already use GPU and if not - will start GPU-related app (MB_6.08_mod_CPU_team_CUDA.exe in our case) and suspend itself until GPU app finish. This CUDA app will do all work as usually but will do it on GPU leave CPU almost free.
"
So on single core you should see one working AK_v8, one suspended AK_v8 (0 CPU time and 0 % CPU usage) and one CUDA app.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #62 on: 01 Feb 2009, 10:57:48 am »
2. I was surprised when I saw BOINC was crunching astropulse units I had stored in my pc even if I had installed correctly your mod. It used optimised ap_5.00r103_SSE3.exe so it is good..

1. It's OK, but not for min but ~half min (maybe for your system 60 secons is OK too).
2. Sure it will do AP tasks too, how do you think for what I included opt AP in package? ;)
3. how long did you see that? first 60 seconds (it's OK and no problem) or full task duration (it's bad and needs investigation)?

And about wich task using GPU - it's simple - look at stderr.txt in slots folders. BOINC will never say it using CUDA cause it doesn't know about it in this combo, I thought I described used algorithm in first post...

tpl

« Reply #63 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:22:00 am »
Hi,
use notebook with 9700m gt but i can`t find nvidia driver 180.xx.
I find only 179.xx for Notebook...

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #64 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:41:44 am »
Hi,
use notebook with 9700m gt but i can`t find nvidia driver 180.xx.
I find only 179.xx for Notebook...

Try to use some beta driver.... If you can;t upgrade to 18x.x it seems this modded app just not for your hardware/software still ( kick nVidia for new driver versions they should do that )

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #65 on: 01 Feb 2009, 02:34:56 pm »
I don't know anything about downloads ending in .rar. For a Windows PC what do I do with it to extract and run the optimized apps? Or, is it for Linux only?
Thanks
Art

Offline Richard Haselgrove

• Messenger Pigeon
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #66 on: 01 Feb 2009, 02:37:51 pm »
I don't know anything about downloads ending in .rar. For a Windows PC what do I do with it to extract and run the optimized apps? Or, is it for Linux only?
Thanks
Art

7-zip (as used by many Lunatics downloads) can handle it.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #67 on: 01 Feb 2009, 02:41:20 pm »
Thanks
Art
www.rarlab.com
To learn something new is always good ;)

Offline The Grinch

• Knight o' The Realm
    • www.Au-Ja.de
« Reply #68 on: 02 Feb 2009, 12:53:35 am »
Lerning any new AND use open source are the best way!
so 7-Zip can handle RAR without problems.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #69 on: 02 Feb 2009, 04:47:58 am »
It's offtopic to current thread but too curious not to ask :)
Is data set that possible to process with AP so smaller than MB one ?? We do MB many years already - do that huge data array not suitable for AP ?

They're running 4 ap_splitters and 5 mb_splitters as part of the attempt to have both sets get through the data at similar rates, they just haven't gotten a perfect balance yet so AP finished ahead of MB. The amount of data they can have available for splitting at any time is limited, so they want to split it for both applications at the same time.

The old Line feed data could be split for AP, though they'd have to make a modified splitter to handle the different input. But as long as we haven't used up the ALFA data I don't think they'll consider it. I just hope that they got the data copied off the DLT tapes into HPSS storage or similar, otherwise it might not be practical.
                                                                           Joe

FireGate_13

« Reply #70 on: 02 Feb 2009, 10:33:27 am »
3. how long did you see that? first 60 seconds (it's OK and no problem) or full task duration (it's bad and needs investigation)

Look.. I didnt measure the time.. I was watching happening for about one minute before I closed Boinc and restarted it to correct it. I will watch the progress in case I find that happening again .

Thanks for your great job:)

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #71 on: 03 Feb 2009, 10:33:29 am »
Thanks
Art
www.rarlab.com
To learn something new is always good ;)

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #72 on: 03 Feb 2009, 10:50:02 am »
Re Raistmer's post of this morning I downloaded all 4. Two are labeled SSE3, two SSSE3. I have a SSSE3 capable processor (Q6600) and CUDA capable GPU. So I assume I should use one of the two SSSE3 distributions. What do I do just pick the download having the latest date on the file AK_v8b_win_SSSE3x_GPU_CPU_team.exe?

On my screen that would be this one Raistmer's_opt_package_V8a_CPU_GPU_team.rar\ with date 20090126 18:43, 7Zip reports 1100kB on file AK_v8b_win_SSSE3x_GPU_CPU_team.exe.

And thanks for the replies on what to do with *.rar files......Everyone has to have that first experience with anything new. Now I know.

Regards
Art

Offline k6xt

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #73 on: 03 Feb 2009, 10:55:02 am »
Maybe I get it, as I get used to how things are done here. The file named *_V8a* is for AMD processors, the file named *_V8* is for Intel?

Thanks regards
Art

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #74 on: 03 Feb 2009, 11:15:55 am »
And thanks for the replies on what to do with *.rar files......Everyone has to have that first experience with anything new. Now I know.
Sure, no prob :)

Quote from: k6xt link=topik?515.msg13737#msg13737 date=1233676502
Maybe I get it, as I get used to how things are done here. The file named *_V8a* is for AMD processors, the file named *_V8* is for Intel?
No-no-no, for AMD will have_AMD in name. V8 and V8a differs in will it kill VLAR or will it process VLAR. Due current Berkeley's network troubles I would recommend V8.
(and AMD can't support SSSE3 btw, only SSE3)

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672