+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod  (Read 139647 times)

e6600

Re: AK V8 + CUDA MB team work mod
« Reply #210 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:53:15 pm »
hmm, i think i got a problem.  i recently upgraded to v8 sse3_AMD from v5b/v6 (idk which one) and ive noticed that mb units are crunching away slower.  before the switch my gpu (8800gt) smashed through mbs in probably 10 minutes or less, but now it seems like the gpu is crunching at the rate of the CPU (amd 5200+ x2 3.3ghz)

is this normal?  thanks

oh and my gpu's temps dropped about 15c from before... used to be around 70c with v5b/v6 and now its 55c @_@

another edit: one mb WU finished and right when another started, the gpu temps went back up to 70c and its crunching like it used to.. is it just a small mb size?  seems like ive got many smaller mb wus when i had v6  :D
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 01:31:05 pm by e6600 »

Offline Marius

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #211 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:22:10 pm »
Playing games like WOW and doing cuda in the background doesn't go very well. Is there a way to disable/suspend only cuda while playing?

something like a semaphore file?

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #212 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
Playing games like WOW and doing cuda in the background doesn't go very well. Is there a way to disable/suspend only cuda while playing?

something like a semaphore file?
No :)
Try to kick BOINC devs some more for it ;D

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #213 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:51:03 am »
3) This CPU-GPU team will not play nicely with other GPU-related projects like GPU-grid. It's because no BOINC GPU-management mechanism is used in this version.
This fact has positive side too - you do not need GPU-aware BOINC at all. You just need host with CUDA-supported GPU. It should work even with BOINC 5.xx
4) <ncpus>NUMBER_OF_CORES+1</ncpus> is REQUIRED for productive work. If you let BOINC manage CPU cores number you will end up with one idle core, trust me ;)

Hi Raistmer... Just need to know if it is possible to run this mod on all cores with my Q6600+GPU, with older 5.xx client? In other words, does older clients even support cc_config.xml file? I've tried allready, but it always end up with one idle core. You said "...should work even with 5.xx" wich is more like "if you're crazy enough" to me. I've been stucked with 5.xx cause I get used to 'return results immediately' feature. Bottomline.. Can I stay in the past or should I've switch to Boinc 6.xx ?
Thnx and keep up with good work.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #214 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:13:08 am »
I didn't check that but it _should_work on BOINC 5 too.
cc_config should be placed in BOINC directory.

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #215 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:38:58 pm »
Still no fun on my 5.3.12 client. I've tried with cc_config on default (BOINC root) location and even copied it on project dir. but, as before, it end up with 3 occupied cores + cuda. There aren't any new lines on boinc messages tab
during startup, so it looks like boinc doesn't detect the presence of cc_ file?
My box is std. XP_SP2 x86 config with latest nVidia 181.22@Asus 9600GT. Any thoughts on how to force the last core to run with V8a?

SoNic

« Reply #216 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:55:33 pm »
Un my XP, cc_config needed to be in \BOINC\AppData folder.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #217 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:25:06 am »
Still no fun on my 5.3.12 client. I've tried with cc_config on default (BOINC root) location and even copied it on project dir. but, as before, it end up with 3 occupied cores + cuda. There aren't any new lines on boinc messages tab
My box is std. XP_SP2 x86 config with latest nVidia 181.22@Asus 9600GT. Any thoughts on how to force the last core to run with V8a?

The cc_config.xml didn't exist until May 2006, the <ncpus> option was added for BOINC 5.5.4 on 21 June 2006. I did not check how it was used at that time.
                                                                           Joe

Offline Zeus Fab3r

• Squire
« Reply #218 on: 20 Feb 2009, 05:42:53 am »

The cc_config.xml didn't exist until May 2006, the <ncpus> option was added for BOINC 5.5.4 on 21 June 2006. I did not check how it was used at that time.
                                                                           Joe

Thanks for pointing that to me. Going for client update. Cheers.

Duke of Guinness

« Reply #219 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:12:11 am »
Thanks Raistmer!!!

Mach

« Reply #220 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:15:57 pm »
Having a small problem...I'm pretty sure I'm using v8b (the one called 'more clever autokill mod'?).  Anyway, for the most part, everything runs great.  However, when boinc downloads newer wu's with a more immediate date, boinc switches out one of the currently running wu's with the new one in high priority mode (in my case, this seems to almost always be the wu currently in GPU).  When this happens, the new wu is not placed in the GPU and I end up having all 3 wu's processed by my 2 CPU cores. :o I can remedy the situation by shutting down boinc and restarting, but this isn't always possible (ie. the middle of the night).  Any ideas on a possible fix?

*Edit*  Just remembered seeing the 'ignore boinc suspend request' patch...gonna give that a try and see if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2009, 02:40:32 pm by Mach »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #221 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:25:16 pm »
Thanks Raistmer!!!

Welcome :)

Having a small problem...I'm pretty sure I'm using v8b (the one called 'more clever autokill mod'?).  Anyway, for the most part, everything runs great.  However, when boinc downloads newer wu's with a more immediate date, boinc switches out one of the currently running wu's with the new one in high priority mode (in my case, this seems to almost always be the wu currently in GPU).  When this happens, the new wu is not placed in the GPU and I end up having all 3 wu's processed by my 2 CPU cores. :o I can remedy the situation by shutting down boinc and restarting, but this isn't always possible (ie. the middle of the night).  Any ideas on a possible fix?

Check what CPU based app you use, check what checkpoint interval you use (CPU app will check if GPU is idle only after checkpoint completion so big checkpoint nterval will delay idle GPU detection).

Mach

« Reply #222 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:56:45 pm »
Check what CPU based app you use, check what checkpoint interval you use (CPU app will check if GPU is idle only after checkpoint completion so big checkpoint nterval will delay idle GPU detection).

I'm using the app_info.xml file supplied with your v8a package...as far as I can tell, it calls AK_V8b_win_SSE3_AMD_GPU_CPU_team.exe which then distributes to either the ap_5.00r103_SSE3.exe or MB_6.08_mod_CPU_team_CUDA.exe based on GPU availability.  The one exception is when it calls ap_5.00r103_SSE3.exe directly for version 500 AP WUs.

I can't find the checkpoint interval, but the GPU usually completes MB WUs in approx 5 mins and picks up the next WU without problem.  When the problem occurs, all 3 WUs continue on CPU until one is completed (not 100% sure if the next WU starts on the GPU correctly or not as I usually end up shutting down and restarting boinc).  Definitely continues longer than 10-20 minutes without switching to the GPU in any case.

As I mentioned in my edited post above, I've added the 'ignore boinc suspend' patch.  Will give an updat as to whether this works after I have some time to monitor behavior.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #223 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:10:29 pm »
Look this thread (few pages back) for CPU app update (only for SSSE3 version) named GPU_watch_update_for_SSSE3.rar

Mach

« Reply #224 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:13:41 pm »
That mod sounds exactly what I need in this case.  Unfortunately, my CPU only supports the SSE3 instruction set and not SSSE3  :(  Oh well, guess I'll just have to live with the occasional idle GPU for the time being.  Thanks for the prompt responses above, Raistmer  ;D

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672