Forum > Linux

SETI MB CUDA for Linux

<< < (160/162) > >>

riofl:

--- Quote from: sunu on 25 Feb 2012, 09:56:43 am ---If it is only for display, what do you need 1GB for? Maybe use 2 NVSs?

Nvidia gives extra capabilities/configuration options to their professional series of cards. For example those cards support BaseMosaic. BaseMosaic seems the perfect solution in your case:

--- Quote ---Option "BaseMosaic" "boolean"

This option can be used to extend a single X screen transparently across all of the available display outputs on each GPU. This is like SLI Mosaic mode except that it does not require a video bridge connected to the graphics cards. Due to this Base Mosaic does not guarantee there will be no tearing between the display boundaries. Base Mosaic is supported on all the configurations supported by SLI Mosaic Mode. It is also supported on Quadro FX 380, Quadro FX 580 and all G80 or higher non-mobile NVS cards.

Use this in conjunction with the MetaModes X configuration option to specify the combination of mode(s) used on each display. nvidia-xconfig can be used to configure Base Mosaic via a command like nvidia-xconfig --base-mosaic --metamodes=METAMODES where the METAMODES string specifies the desired grid configuration. For example, to configure four DFPs in a 2x2 configuration, each running at 1920x1024, with two DFPs connected to two cards, the command would be:

nvidia-xconfig --base-mosaic --metamodes="GPU-0.DFP-0: 1920x1024+0+0, GPU-0.DFP-1: 1920x1024+1920+0, GPU-1.DFP-0: 1920x1024+0+1024, GPU-1.DFP-1: 1920x1024+1920+1024"

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

my desktop usage is a vidram hog. i keep  at the very least 5 browsers open each with an average of 14 tabs .. these take up vid space because they are constantly updating and ready to come forward instantly.between that and the backgrounds, stickynotes, editors open, konsole with 9 ssh tabs open, 20 gkrellm hardware monitors running and a bunch of other stuff. running diag software revealed my average vidram usage without boinc running is 800mb to 1gb.

sunu:

--- Quote from: riofl on 27 Feb 2012, 08:18:28 am ---running diag software revealed my average vidram usage without boinc running is 800mb to 1gb.

--- End quote ---

That would be nvidia-smi -a ?

riofl:

--- Quote from: sunu on 27 Feb 2012, 09:31:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: riofl on 27 Feb 2012, 08:18:28 am ---running diag software revealed my average vidram usage without boinc running is 800mb to 1gb.

--- End quote ---

That would be nvidia-smi -a ?

--- End quote ---

never tried running that. used a program a friend wrote. running the above command now i get the  following usage stats.. note that i am not running at 'full bore' mode since it is not needed at the moment. i imagine these would be higher if i was.

gpu0 memory 53%
gpu1 memory 36 %
gpu2 memory 22%

gpu0 has 1g vidram
gpu1 and 2 have 1.8g rounded off

the gpu1 and 2 gtx295 card came with 1.8g ram advertised.
the gpu0 gtx285 card 1gb advertised

sunu:
What driver version do you use? I don't remember nvidia-smi showing percentages for memory use.

Jason G:

--- Quote from: sunu on 29 Feb 2012, 04:39:27 pm ---What driver version do you use? I don't remember nvidia-smi showing percentages for memory use.

--- End quote ---
shows Total, Used & Free here on 280.13 Ubuntu proprpietary driver supplied through the additional drivers automatic thing, Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit.  I'm guessing that he just did the math from that.

Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version