+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: VBscript Fights Cuda  (Read 49710 times)

Leopoldo

Re: VBscript Fights Cuda
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jan 2009, 08:13:02 am »
Maik, thanks for new version with mod :)

May I ask You for another new option in Your script very useful for "fire-and-forget" crunching? (As for me, script really helps to stable crunching without paying attention to BOINC very often)

Maybe, for more safe BOINC handling You will add in script and ini-file the 2nd option to "not kill task but suspend/resume project"?
(Because of my OS is Win2003 server which works as file-server, mail-server, proxy-server, wsus-server I don't like killing any tasks...)

Legal stop/start frozen jobs can be made through commands "boinccmd.exe --project setiathome.berkeley.edu suspend" and "boinccmd.exe --project setiathome.berkeley.edu resume"
Of course, that will lead to new parameters in ini-file with names something like "project_name" and "boinc_dir" but You are too more skilled in such things, so it will be Your decision how to implement and do that or not at all ;)

Maik

« Reply #46 on: 17 Jan 2009, 08:26:28 am »
One question: What happen if you dont use the script, a task get stuck and you press the 'suspend'-button?
Answere: Right! Nothing. The process is still in your processlist ...
Explanation: If a task goes stuck then there is no more communication between the cpu-process and the gpu-process. That is what my script detects. If you press the 'suspend'-button while there is still no communication between the processes how should the 'suspend'-command arrive the gpu-process? So it will make no sense to write a modification like this.

Leopoldo

« Reply #47 on: 17 Jan 2009, 09:07:09 am »
One question: What happen if you dont use the script, a task get stuck and you press the 'suspend'-button?
Answere: Right! Nothing. The process is still in your processlist ...
Explanation: If a task goes stuck then there is no more communication between the cpu-process and the gpu-process. That is what my script detects. If you press the 'suspend'-button while there is still no communication between the processes how should the 'suspend'-command arrive the gpu-process? So it will make no sense to write a modification like this.

But suspend/resume project in BM helps to resume calculation! Before using Your script I had never killing tasks by myself but only pressed suspend/resume buttons in BM!

(I think bug is lies somewhere in CUDA-code filling GPU with work - not task goes stuck and accepts no communication, but loop inside task waits for CUDA-answer from GPU, and suspend/resume button will send commands from BM to task - task {not stucked but looped} receives that message and forcefully breaks loop and restarts itself)

OK, this is my IMHO and I will wait, maybe other crunchers will ask You about the same option later ;)
Please don't abuse/blame me, I only have modestly asked changes, will not - so will not

Maik

« Reply #48 on: 17 Jan 2009, 11:22:07 am »
A other User was asking me some posts earlier to add bmcmd commands to the script.
I've rejected this.

After i modded 044 yesterday i noticed that the measure on cpu time is too inaccurate.
I've fixed that and now im monitoring results ... (crunching a VLAR atm).
If this test pass sucessfull I'll offer this new version.

Edit:
- attached a example log from new version to show and explain changes
 - initial BreakPerCycle (BPC) is still in use (ini-setting)
 - if the script detects a LAR then
 . . it adds a amount of 40% to BPC
 . . it changes measure-time on cpu process from 3 to 5 sec
 . . it adds 2 sec to BPC after every 'resetting counter'
 - if the script detects a VLAR then
 . . it adds a amount of 80% to BPC
 . . it changes measure-time on cpu process from 3 to 7 sec
 . . it adds 5 sec to BPC after every 'resetting counter'
The 'heavy looking' cpu-usage on the task before the VLAR has begun is depended on the new measure-procedure.
My Host is a quaddy so the cpu usage is normal the  shown / 4.
Atm there is no way to make differences between quad/dual/singel core systems. I think you can live with that :P

Edit2:
need more time to fine tune the timings. script terminated a VLAR although it was running fine ... :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2009, 12:28:35 pm by Maik »

Maik

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:24:23 pm »
Ok, im done.
Had a runtime error: overflow , but I wasnt able to reproduce the error to figure out why it happened.
Now the scipt is running about a hour without errors ... -> must be some of  Murphy's Law  ;D

Please read update infos including in readme.txt before editing the ini and starting the script!
If you have questions to this version I will be online next 2 to 3 hours to answer them here.

external link
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 12:31:45 pm by Maik »

Maik

« Reply #50 on: 19 Jan 2009, 12:31:28 pm »

> Update 046
 ============
 > fixed: error in line 527 (write stderr - function, 'left')
 > fixed: DT_a doesnt work

external link
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 01:48:39 pm by Maik »

Leopoldo

« Reply #51 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:04:01 pm »

> Update 046

Script is working with VLAR much better now (more often it displayed "... at 0% (1. time)" and then "resetting counter", less often "(2. time)").
Running with two 6.03 at main S@H and one 6.08 at S@H Beta simultaneously. Script is monitoring 6.08 (CUDA), of course.
Thanks again, Maik!
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 04:07:24 pm by Leopoldo »

Maik

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:48:27 pm »

> Update 048
 ============
 > fixed: error on 'timed stderr run' (used with -sam option)
 -> (did no stderr run)

external link

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 04:56:51 pm by Maik »

Offline Morten

• Knight o' The Round Table
« Reply #53 on: 23 Jan 2009, 02:58:22 pm »
Hi,

Do you have an option to monitor the progress of a WU, and then restart boincmgr.exe if there is no progress in a given time?

On Vista x64/Boinc 6.4.5 x64 WUs will be processed normally for some time, and then one WU will stop progressing at between 0,000% and 0,500%. The app is using 100% cpu. When boincmgr is stopped and started, this WU is processed normally. Killing the app will also kill the WU (computation error), which is not appropriate in this case.

I have discussed this with Raistmer and he has pointed to you and your script, but as I pointed out to Raistmer I think this problem is in his V7-code.

Morten Ross

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2009, 03:10:20 pm by Morten »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #54 on: 23 Jan 2009, 03:16:37 pm »

I have discussed this with Raistmer and he has pointed to you and your script, but as I pointed out to Raistmer I think this problem is in his V7-code.

Morten Ross
And I pointed out that I need stderr.txt for this task ;) Could you provide it ?

Offline Morten

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jan 2009, 03:31:35 pm »
Hi,

There are no meaningful entries here - no entries from today's "hung" WUs.

Perhaps debug flags could be set in order to output more info?

Morten

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2009, 03:43:00 pm by Morten »

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #56 on: 23 Jan 2009, 04:39:39 pm »
Hi,

There are no meaningful entries here - no entries from today's "hung" WUs.

Perhaps debug flags could be set in order to output more info?

Morten
No, I need not BOINC stderr, I need task stderr.txt For task that hangs. It will beposted along with result info on web site after tsk completion. And keeped in slot directory while task in progress. That file I need, not BOINC's.

Offline Morten

« Reply #57 on: 23 Jan 2009, 06:46:03 pm »
Hi,

That file has no errors at the time of the hang/100% cpu utilization of the app.

When boincmgr is restarted this WU is completed without errors, so there will be no logging of any error. That's why I suggest that the a debug-version of the v7 app is tested.

I have attached the stderr at the time of no WU progression and the same file after boincmgr was restarted.

This is the WU - no errors there...:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/result.php?resultid=1129307192

Morten

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2009, 08:48:57 pm by Morten »

Maik

« Reply #58 on: 24 Jan 2009, 12:25:23 am »
Hi,

Do you have an option to monitor the progress of a WU, and then restart boincmgr.exe if there is no progress in a given time?

nope ;)

randyconk

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:20:28 pm »

> Update 048
 ============
 > fixed: error on 'timed stderr run' (used with -sam option)
 -> (did no stderr run)

external link

Your script does not terminate stalled WUs for me. I am NOT using the -sam option, do I need to for it to terminate stalled WUs?

Attached is a segment of the log showing it doesn't terminate along with the files out of update 048 that I customized for my system.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats