+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: New Einstein@home binary pulsar search and AstroPulse  (Read 11906 times)

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
New Einstein@home binary pulsar search and AstroPulse
« on: 25 Mar 2009, 04:19:09 am »
From Einstein@home press-release:
The new pulsar survey uses a specialized radio camera, the Arecibo L-band Feed Array, and is conducted by the PALFA Consortium.

1) Is it possible to use data from this reciver for SETI ?
2) What about sensitivity and signal to noise ratio for this detector compared to SETI own ones ?
3) In what degree algorithms for this binary pulsar search and AP SETI search are overlapped ?

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: New Einstein@home binary pulsar search and AstroPulse
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2009, 01:31:20 pm »
From Einstein@home press-release:
The new pulsar survey uses a specialized radio camera, the Arecibo L-band Feed Array, and is conducted by the PALFA Consortium.

1) Is it possible to use data from this reciver for SETI ?
2) What about sensitivity and signal to noise ratio for this detector compared to SETI own ones ?
3) In what degree algorithms for this binary pulsar search and AP SETI search are overlapped ?

Arecibo L-band Feed Array = ALFA

We're already using data from that receiver. I think the difference is that the PALFA consortium is getting their data directly from the ALFALFA project, I don't know how it is transferred back from Arecibo, maybe as FITS files or similar. Anyhow, it may be the full 300 MHz ALFA bandwidth on all 14 channels, but must be reduced somehow, probably amounts to a series of snapshots.

If so, they definitely won't be looking for repetitive pulses at anywhere near the periods AP uses, and dedispersion will have to be coarser and only suitable for more distant sources than AP. I do hope there will be overlap, just as the pulse finding in Enhanced in some senses overlaps with repetitive pulses from AP.
                                                                            Joe

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

If so, they definitely won't be looking for repetitive pulses at anywhere near the periods AP uses, and dedispersion will have to be coarser and only suitable for more distant sources than AP. I do hope there will be overlap, just as the pulse finding in Enhanced in some senses overlaps with repetitive pulses from AP.
                                                                            Joe
Interesting, is it possible to establish some cooperation between projects to put found by Einstein signals into SETI database for subsequent analysis...

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2009, 04:21:13 pm »

Joe

Interesting, is it possible to establish some cooperation between projects to put found by Einstein signals into SETI database for subsequent analysis...

Certainly it's a possibility, but I doubt anyone has funds now to establish some sort of super NTPCKR which would import data from various projects and look for matches. If any project reports something particularly interesting, I'm sure others will manually cross-check in their data. AFAIK, not even pulse searching with the Allen Telescope Array will be cross-compared with Astropulse even though Dan Wertheimer is involved with both.
                                                                      Joe

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559