Forum > Linux

Initial public release - SSE2 Linux optimized Seti@Home client (5.15)

(1/7) > >>

Simon:
Hi everyone,

a lot of people have been waiting for the first one to step forward and offer new optimized clients for PCs. So I'm going to take that leap and do it in the hope that many others may follow.

This client has been compiled using Intel's excellent compiler and library package (Links in the Links section, also in the How-To). It's version 5.15 and based on Eric Korpela's source tarballs.

It has been tested on a lot of different hardware - various Pentium 4, Pentium-D, Pentium-M as well as Athlon64-based machines. The results it produces have validated 100% in all tests.

Still, if you decide to use this client, it's at your own risk. Despite all testing that has gone into making sure it performs valid science and does so quickly, something might go wrong. YMMV.

That said, here's the download link:

Linux SSE2-optimized Seti@Home client

Please post whether it worked for you or not!
You will have to register before you can post.

Installation is very simple - when you unpack the archive, it will put all its files into a directory called something like "setiathome-5.15-sse2". Copy the contents of that folder (all files inside it, not the directory!) into BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu. Then simply restart (stop and start) your BOINC client, it should recognize the app_info.xml and resume all your WUs for you.

Regards,
Simon

pgy:
Hi Simon,

Congratulations on getting this far. Sadly, I can't use it. Any chance of sorting out plain SSE for Linux?

Best wishes,
pete

Simon:
All I can say is, some more patience required ;D

Have to test things before I release, and my SSE builds don't seem to work everywhere. I'm sure I'll fix it and offer MMX/SSE as well.

Regards,
Simon.

Simon:
There was a slight problem with the first client - it did not run on all machines.
A new version that should now really work everywhere has been posted (the URL is still the same).

If it worked for you before, no need to get v2. If it didn't, please download the new package ;D

Regards,
Simon.

Simon:
Due to continued error reports, I've put a non-UPX compressed version online in the Downloads section -

Uncompressed Linux SSE2-optimized Seti@Home client

This is a direct download link.

Regards,
Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version