+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: AMD optimized App  (Read 24017 times)

Offline Slawek

• Knight o' The Realm
Re: AMD optimized App
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:32:10 am »

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:40:17 am »
That appears to be an E8400, and probably, by the look of the time, extremely overclocked.  My E8400 runs comfortably at a moderate overclock of 3.6GHz, and got around 10.5 hour times with that r69 release build. That machine seems to have achieved results in 8hr40mins  , or about 20% quicker.  So probably in the range of about 4.3GHz.

Are you sure you want to compare times against this machine?

Offline Slawek

• Knight o' The Realm
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:41:47 am »
ok. i have 2.9 ghz and ~130.000 sec ??? - 36 h

36 h vs 10 h....  :-\ 

maybe SSE3 in Athlon not working to fast :(
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2009, 11:49:08 am by Slawek »

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2009, 11:52:12 am »
That's okay,
Apart from clock speed it also comes down to clocks per instruction, and sheer cache size.  In both regards the E8400 is a bad example to compare against because it is a new generation, huge cache model.  Even the quads are generally much more bus and cache starved.  In that respect the E8400/8500/8600 are some of the fastest dual cores ever produced (to my knowledge).

If you can pick an Intel model of about the same generation as your chip it will probably make a much better comparison.  e.g. My p4 3.2 Cedar Mill running stock has slightly longer times than yours, though a faster clock speed and larger cache.

It is difficult to compare times cross brand, but I can assure you that none of the apparent disadvantage is because of anything other than CPU generation.

Jason

Offline arkayn

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
    • My Little Place On The Internet
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:33:17 pm »
My T7200(2.0)(r84) does them in about 28 hours and the E6550(2.33)(r69) does them in 18.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2009, 12:35:54 pm »
Those are slightly better middle ground comparisons, thanks arkayn.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
I have to reply to this thread.

Allthough I'm very pleased with the results of the optimizations, and have the greatest respect for the effort done by the optimizers here, I still beleive much emphasis is put upon making the apps fast on Intel architecture, and less upon AMD. This is understandable, seing how Intel has 75-80% of marketshare, and the tools they have are better.

Still I have to wonder what performance AMD chips could have, if an AMD specific build where made where optimizations where made to take advantage of AMD's strenghts, and avoiding the weakneses.

I once read this at Aces hardwares forum (a very good technical forum) about AMD and optimizing for it:

Quote:
I once had the opportunity to discuss online about that with several people, including some AMDers. AMD is desperate because they can't break the cycle of Intel's C++/Fortran compilers which are turning to be venom against AMD cpus much due to AMD's own design choices of late. Microsoft's compiler may help them IF coders care to create a code path for AMD.

AMD's L1 cache can work very well with FFT's and possibly compete with more expensive metal but it's still underutilized and adoption of adequate tools is going on slower than they predicted. AMD made the choice to equip their cpus L1 caches with neat features that Intels don't have and, of course, Intel doesn't care to optimize for. Prime95 worked like a dog with AMD processor until GIMPS adopted the prefetchw opcode for AMD's codepath along several other optimizations and since that, AMD's latest is the fastest clock-for-clock under Prime95. prefetchw is also useful to accelerate core-to-core coherency through the L3 cache.

Quote end:

Personally I know next to nothing about coding (once learned a little Turbo Pascal...), so I don't know how much work would be required for an AMD specific build, but if one was attempted, I would be more than happy to run lots of tests, to find the best solutions for AMD CPU's.
A smile is the shortest distance between two peoble (Victor Borge).

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:18:23 pm »
I will say once more, the astropulse builds are made on Microsoft visual studio, not intel compiler.  If something is unclear here, please enquire, alternatively the source code is available from the download section.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:27:59 pm »
That wouldn't help me any, since I can't read code.

You seem to be annoyed of me posting my worries. I don't understand the reaction. Though I may seem to be criticizising, my hope is to be helpfull and constructive.

There have been several Intel only builds, what would be wrong with an AMD only build? Do you use "prefetchw", and if you do, does it take the larger L1 cache into account? How about looking into SSE4a, or some of the 3DNow! instructions. Perhaps and only perhaps, one or two of the instructions therein could be of benefit?

Would you agree that the possibility exists that different code paths than the ones used, could perform better on AMD hardware? Why not try? This is only a suggestion, if the workload needed to create these builds, is of such magnitude that it would be counterproductive for the general optimization, it should just be left alone.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:32:36 pm »
I am indeed annoyed, because you are using our development site as a platform for your rant oriented around AMD Vs Intel, false information, and completely ignored our last discussion on the issue.  Take it elsewhere.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:35:48 pm »
I have not ignored anything. But still there is and have never been AMD only builds.

I will let the matter rest, since it is obviously of little importance. The most important thing is to get well optimized code that is compatible with official SETI code out the door.

I will continue to run tests and so on if this is wished, otherwise tell me so.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:41:55 pm »
And neither will there be Intel only builds (apart from the obvious SSSE3, SSE4.1, and likely SSE4.2).

I will pass your comments onto the testing committee to assess whether your subjectiveness has compromised your value as tester.

Jason

Gecko_R7

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:52:51 pm »

You seem to be annoyed of me posting my worries. I don't understand the reaction. Though I may seem to be criticizising, my hope is to be helpfull and constructive.

There have been several Intel only builds, what would be wrong with an AMD only build? Do you use "prefetchw", and if you do, does it take the larger L1 cache into account? How about looking into SSE4a, or some of the 3DNow! instructions. Perhaps and only perhaps, one or two of the instructions therein could be of benefit?

Would you agree that the possibility exists that different code paths than the ones used, could perform better on AMD hardware? Why not try? This is only a suggestion, if the workload needed to create these builds, is of such magnitude that it would be counterproductive for the general optimization, it should just be left alone.

Different devs have looked at (& continue to do so) opportunites where AMD could uniquely benefit.  The short answer is that in almost all cases, the work required would neccessitate complete re-writes of areas to benefit only "certain" AMD rigs.
A key developer who is on hiatus ATM (not active @ Lunatics BTW) recently commented that to do AMD correctly, would neccesate a COMPLETE re-write of the applications....from scratch.  He also acknowledged the amount of time required vs. number of users that would benefit from this wouldn't justify the effort, unless that was the person's only interest and motivation.

It's not an issue of lack of respect, it's an issue of lack of resources and the overall challenges of resource allocation against several other considerations, application-types and prevalent platform combinations.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Explains a lot.

Offline Raistmer

• Working Code Wizard
  • Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:12:58 am »

I'll try to give one more answer:
Regarding AstroPulse:
1) There is no Intel-specific build still. Any "specific" build requires additional efforts. General optimisation (if possible) gives MUCH MORE feedback because it's GENERAL. So, AP still has mostly general optimization.
2) It's tru that SSE3 MB builds work sometimes even slower on AMD than SSE2 ones. Sorry, but I see only poor SSE3 implementation on chip here, not any plot against AMD.
3) There is no SSSE3 and up support for AMD but SSSE3 gives nice speedup for MB (again, it's just reality).
4) There is NO AMD optimizing compiler exist. Intel has its own compiler, AMD has no own compiler at all. Look on AMD pages, they recommend different third party compilers (Intel was included if I remember right). But to do build with new compiler requires additional efforts (as to do CPU specific optimization instead of general optimisation) for porting. For AP only transition from general purpose MS VC to ICC in progress and already we have some difficulties with performance. To do builds with some alternative (and not freely available) compilers - more time required that could be spend more effective to general optimization.
5) Sure it's possible to speedup current AP (or MB probably) builds specifically on AMD chips, but not our fault that latest Intel's CPU respond better on general optimizations that AMD (although for AMD Athlon XP speed improve was best for AP SSE BTW).

I hope it's more clear now "why not try".

(ADDON: Gecko_R7 explained it already indeed)
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 01:16:12 am by Raistmer »

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559