Forum > Discussion Forum

Apparent Spam seeming to come from here

(1/3) > >>

archae86:
My gmail account just received a bad piece of e-mail purporting to come from Simon@zadra.org.

Internal material mentioned the name of Dean Kelly, as is claimed to be the poster of at least one bad recent post here.  The content purported to be links to three web sites whose title suggested they were undesirable stuff.

Simon, I can provide the plain text of the message I received if it would be of any help to you. 

Simon:
gawddamnit.

No, please don't - this asshole has been targeting SMF sites specifically. Sorry for your inconvenience.

I tried limiting the amount of personal messages new users can send - but short of disabling that feature totally, that's kind of hard.
Please delete that crap without looking at it.

The user and his netblock is banned. Damn annoying...please do your eyes a favour and do not open any message sent by "Dean Kelly". At first we thought it was a bot, but he/it keeps reacting to any counter-measures taken so it's most likely it's a person who is making a directed attack against SMF sites.

His ISP has been notified a week or so ago already, but is not doing anything (as expected).

Regards,
Simon.

Fuzzy Hollynoodles:
Simon, I've made a thread about it here:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=32827

And I have reported it to Google as phishing to let them take a look at it.

Gecko_R7:
ARGGGGGG!!!!  My eyes!!!!   :o

Pardon me while I hurl!
Ok...feeling better now.  :)

B*stard!
To bad we can't send him a little "gift" in return...that would give him the PC version of herpes! ;)

Simon:
I have switched registration from immediate to email activation (i.e. you will have to state a valid email address and click on a link you get emailed to confirm registration).

It makes the registration process a little more tedious, but should at least give me a valid address to go after should anything like this happen again.

Again, defending against a determined human attacker is near to impossible, and this was no bot.

Sorry people :)
Simon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version