+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: Install Info  (Read 18278 times)

russkris

Install Info
« on: 31 Jan 2008, 01:22:06 am »
I have a mate, that I have tried to explain it to(via email) but just seem to get it right..

Anyone got a step by step installation guide to install the Op'd client.

He has many computers and I would love to see him with all of them, on the Bang for buck train. You know get more w00t's happening

RUSTY

Gecko_R7

Re: Install Info
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2008, 12:14:25 pm »
I have a mate, that I have tried to explain it to(via email) but just seem to get it right..

Anyone got a step by step installation guide to install the Op'd client.

He has many computers and I would love to see him with all of them, on the Bang for buck train. You know get more w00t's happening

RUSTY

Hi Rusty.

Go to Crunch3r's site at this link and pick the appropriate operating system (-doze, linux, 32 bit, 64 bit etc.) for the matching application list.
http://calbe.dw70.de/seti.html You/your friend also need to know what specific type of CPU you have since there are different aps to match the capabilities of newer vs. older CPUs.  If you aren't sure, you can right-click on My Computer if a Windows system.  You can also install CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-143.zip which will tell you.
What you are looking for is the type of SIMD instructions your CPU supports, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4 etc.
For maximum benefit, you want to choose the application that matches your OS flavor, bitness, & SIMD support.

If this is intimidating, just let me know and give me as much info as you know about your computer/CPU.
Otherwise, just download the application zip.  Inside are the necessary files and an instructions txt file.
It is VERY easy.  ;)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 02:54:29 pm by Gecko_R7 »

russkris

« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2008, 03:56:20 am »
I have mine op'd... I have got my mate to do it.. But all turn out to be COMPUTATION ERROR.. My friend has reset SETi through BOINC and restarted the computer..

I wish I could just pop around

russkris

« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2008, 02:23:43 am »
Turns out my mate doesn't have SSE3, so this could be the reason for the errors.

Well from what I can tell from the attached, can someone explain what the other error is. Maybe that will be fixed when the SSE2 is installed

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2008, 08:36:58 am »
Looking at that copy of the messages tab the app_info.xml file is missing in the projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder.

With all windows optimized applications that is:
- A app_info.xml needs to be copied to the projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder
- Replace_with_Name_of_Optimized_app.exe needs to be copied to the projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder

- Replace_with_Name_of_Optimized_app.pdb can be copied to the projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu folder, if available

_\|/_
U r s

russkris

« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2008, 03:53:52 pm »
My friend has installed the SSE2 client and it is crunching away
Thank goodness for that

russkris

« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2008, 04:26:12 am »
Maybe someone can help ASAP..... The bench mark is lower with the OP'd client then it is without it...

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2008, 05:23:20 am »
I wouldn't worry about it, those boinc benchmarks are notoriously inaccurate and vary by version, price of the stock market and phase of the moon (j/k). They bear little if any relationships to the speed of processing.  It would be far better to compare CPU times of same/close angle range tasks. Here I am sure you will find significant improvement.

Jason

russkris

« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2008, 05:56:20 am »
So how do I find that out?? because my friend does seem to see any improvement

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb 2008, 06:11:32 am »
You need to examine the output of your tasks from your account  page at the seti@home site.  In particular the "CPU time" field, The "stderr out" box should say what application was in use for that workunit, and the "angle range".  If no application name is mentiioned in the "stderr out" then it is probably running stock.

Different applications have different levels of information available, so comparison can sometimes be tricky, but :

Generally speaking, Give or take,  a workunit with the same or very close angle range will crunch in about half to 3 quarters the time that it would take with the stock app ( Though this difference is not as big as it used to be, as not long ago many of the optimizations were ported to the stock app from here ....)

If you have trouble,  post a link here to your SaH account page (don't worry others can't see private stuff,)  make sure your machines are unhidden, and I could take a quick look at the tasks for you.

Jason

« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 06:14:40 am by j_groothu »

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2008, 09:17:38 am »
For those reading this thread, Some PMs were exchanged indicating the user (friend of russkris) wasn't comfortable allowing their computer(s) to be unhidden for diagnosis / assistance.

I have pointed out, as best I can, the difficulty that there is in providing the required assistance without being able to see the tasks, and also indicated that there is no personally identifiable information revealed by unhiding the machines.

Please anyone seeking assistance keep in mind when asking for help, that it is extremely difficult to recommend the correct course of action for something you cannot see.

ThankYou,  Jason

« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 09:20:32 am by j_groothu »

russkris

« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2008, 04:12:36 pm »
Yeah.. sadly that seems to be the case, I have advise, there is nothing more we can do to make sure everything is working..

Thanks for all your time and help

Gecko_R7

« Reply #12 on: 06 Feb 2008, 04:18:02 pm »
For those reading this thread, Some PMs were exchanged indicating the user (friend of russkris) wasn't comfortable allowing their computer(s) to be unhidden for diagnosis / assistance.

I have pointed out, as best I can, the difficulty that there is in providing the required assistance without being able to see the tasks, and also indicated that there is no personally identifiable information revealed by unhiding the machines.

Please anyone seeking assistance keep in mind when asking for help, that it is extremely difficult to recommend the correct course of action for something you cannot see.

ThankYou,  Jason

Thanks Jason for your attempts to help the gents.  :)
It's understandable to consider security concerns, especially when somewhat unfamiliar to this project and our forums, users, etc.
If they reconsider, they will find friendly folks here and on the main Seti board that will be glad to help & guide.

We're a friendly bunch after all.  ;D
Who else would claim membership in a M. Python-inspired, alien-signal searching group?

Wait a minute......all of a sudden, that doesn't that sound so re-assuring.... :-\

russkris

« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2008, 04:34:28 pm »
I have no problems with it.. Dont really know what the prob is.. thats him.. I will let you know, if anything changes

Gecko_R7

« Reply #14 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:12:05 pm »
I have no problems with it.. Dont really know what the prob is.. thats him.. I will let you know, if anything changes

Great!  In the meantime, enjoy crunching and Welcome to the KWSN-Lunatics forum!!!  Glad to have ya!  ;D

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672