Forum > Windows

optimized sources

<< < (66/179) > >>

_heinz:
did anybody know howmany place will be needed for a normal install of Fedora. Is a 4GB CF-disk big enough ?
the IDE port can be equipt with 2 CF-Cards
thanks
modify: found this
The /usr directory holds the majority of software content on a Fedora system. For an installation of the default set of software, allocate at least 4 GB of space. If you are a software developer or plan to use your Fedora system to learn software development skills, you may want to at least double this allocation.
here are some important links:
Fedora for You
Fedora 8 Installation Guide
Fedora Forums
Fedora Wiki
Fedora Documentation
Linux Documentation Project
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Documentation

so we have a lot to read
 ;)

Jason G:
yeah, fedora is a bit sophisticated for me, about 12 years since I used Linux.   I'd imagine the size requirement, like most Linux installations, would depend on what packages you wish to install, and what you want to use the OS for, If you don't need a graphical desktop it could be tiny.  I'd guess that If you plan to run a gui, webserver, database server, development tools to rebuild a custom kernel, and a swap partition too, then 4GB might be pushing it.. But for just a single user thing to develop and run small boinc Apps it might be heaps of room. Combined 8Gb might be more than enough for just about anything except high volume server.

I will be cranking up Ubuntu in a vm next week and I am considering doing a Linux  systems administration course and Windows server Certification in parallel. not sure yet

_heinz:
wow, new 32GB Transcend CompactFlashs are available price 132 Euro
read/write 45MB/21,5MB pro second and ECC correction, PIO Mod 6, UDMA 4, ATA
Thats enough to install a full XP.....
since a year I have already 2 machines with CF running for testing....our MMx builds
machine 1  a 200MMx with a 4GB Transcend 266x running w98
machine 2 a dual-200MMx with a 2GB Transcend 120x running NT4 Workstation
both machines run fine, and are very quick...and they are integrated in my private network...

heinz

_heinz:
First Windows High Performance Computing (HPC) User Group Meeting on April 22, 2008
RWTH_RZ_Aachen

Microsoft HPC++ look at News
have a look to explore it... ;D

heinz

_heinz:
while I'm waiting for the last tools I invite you to have a look where the river Sauer kissed the Rhin..  ;D
heinz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version