Forum > Windows

optimized sources

<< < (65/179) > >>

_heinz:
We will try out all this stuff of Windows2008...and we have always the possibility to use a boot menue at the beginning to load the OS under which we will tuning the app directly.
That would be very interesting... ;D

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Raistmer on 10 Apr 2008, 05:06:35 am ---.....Even with VM I cant emulate SSE4.1 on my Venice IMHO ;)

--- End quote ---
LOL, maybe if you clench really hard like Hiro from Heroes it will magically turn into a Wolfdale  ;D.  Although I use VM's for testing,  I think any kind of timing benchmarks would be a waste of time.  This is why I wish to run dual boot to test 64 bit for myself,  might as well get you some sse41 PGO data while I'm there, running native.

I think in future PGO instrumented runs will be okay in VM because we have proven them to be NOT hardware bound, (at least with light PGO)  but definitely code coverage and data dependant (which will execute the same on any hardware that supports the build (hopefully) . This *might be* one good argument against installing the code dispatching mechanisms like in 2.4 & stock .. PGO data would have to be generically targeted across builds and include all the functions, so performance target gets 'diluted'. 

Also relative runs to compare app speeds may be okay in VM, but not too representative of native speeds except *maybe* where there is some hardware virtualisation support available.

Jason

_heinz:
jason,
as I have seen hardware virtualisation is available there.  ;D
Today I got the email from Redmont for the evaluation with a lot of further infos.
thanks Microsoft.  ;D

Jason G:

--- Quote from: seti_britta on 10 Apr 2008, 08:41:19 am ---jason,
as I have seen hardware virtualisation is available there.  ;D
Today I got the email from Redmont for the evaluation with a lot of further infos.
thanks Microsoft.  ;D

--- End quote ---
I think your new server is designed with something like this in mind :
    - Run a native Linux (Fedora core with custom compiled kernel) , public facing webserverapache/PHP
    - dedicated MySql database VM, allows optimal filesystem configuration for the database(s)
    - Windows Server Host, For serving asp pages & dotnet web application & intranet stuff, maybe running an exchange server and nt domain
    - preferred Host OS as desired, probably a Pro edition of Windows, or a Fluffy Linux Variant as workstation

Now that saves a lot of hardware if you need all those things in a small to medium business,  Lots of power saved too

Jason.

_heinz:
Fedora is the right one...
have now some installation packages
1. Fedora
1.1 CellBE
1.2 OS/390
2.  Server2008
2.1 SDK_2008
2.2 VS2008
2.3 ATI- GPU-developer kit

a lot of work ....to found, get, and later install it