Forum > Linux

R-2.2 Linux apps?

(1/4) > >>

michael37:
Hey folks,

We Linux users are falling far and fast behind the windows users.  Version 2.2b is working flawlessly on my P-M notebook and is able to achieve spectacular performance.  I haven't tried building the 2.2 app on Linux, but I expect this to be miserable experience due to failing compilation, failing libraries and other mess.

I will soon be able to run a dedicated vmware client session off a Woodcrest Core 2 Duo server.  I believe that should be more than enough to create all flavors of Linux apps including the -xT ones.

Two questions.
1.  I can run any OS I want on my vmware client.  Any recommendations for achieving the least painful build experience?  My slight preference would be Red Hat/Fedora Core family.
2. I am not closely familiar with S&H source (and will never be, my programming skills are not sufficient).  Does any developer who can debug and fix the code need resources (e.g. hardware, etc) to revive Linux platform support?

michael37:
Wow: look at this thread:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=38058&nowrap=true#525923

Chicken, we're waiting for your update with Crunch3rs source code (and maybe even binaries!!!) shortly!

Simon:
Are ya :)

Well, he did send the code to me, and I did get something compiled. It doesn't fully work, yet, but we're finally seeing progress.

--- Quote from: michael37 on 04 Mar 2007, 10:17:25 pm ---[...]
Two questions.
1.  I can run any OS I want on my vmware client.  Any recommendations for achieving the least painful build experience?  My slight preference would be Red Hat/Fedora Core family.
2. I am not closely familiar with S&H source (and will never be, my programming skills are not sufficient).  Does any developer who can debug and fix the code need resources (e.g. hardware, etc) to revive Linux platform support?

--- End quote ---
As for distros, I use Debian and Slackware to compile on, mostly. Gentoo also works nicely, though I haven't had as much success with RH-based distros (but then I dislike them, so that's probably why).
As for 2) a while ago, Ben Herndon floated an idea that to optimize for Core 2 systems better, the devs need some hardware to be able to directly observe vs. getting benchmark results from others. This does not apply to Linux, specifically, but to the whole development process. Still, not something we absolutely require, though it would help. We'd also need to figure out some way of being able to ship it, or, much easier, someone could set up a system with outside access (VNC/Remote Desktop/SSH or whatnot) and give them access. That would be a lot cheaper and the donor'd keep control of the hardware.

Regards,
Simon.

speedimic:
hi,
if this 3042619 helps IŽll boot Linux and give you acces.  ;)
I got some opteron se and a quad-core xeon machine (all Linux) in office wich I could use for nightly testing (I canŽt give you access to those...).

mic.

nastasache:
It is there available some clients for SSSE3-Intel Core 2 under LInux?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version