+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: New apps based on code revision 2.2 'Noo? No, Ni!' have been released!  (Read 75079 times)

Furex

that it in fact does use 32Meg less memory when running (like it was written to do)?

http://www.progettosi.dyndns.org/forum/Smileys/smiley_alive/worshiper.gif

Lloyd

I see the 2.2l with graphics app is up now.  Thanks for letting me know it was in the works.

In the meanwhile, I found the benchmarks (in the download section - duh!)  I'll just leave 2.0  on there for now and run them, then repeat the process with 2.2

You aren't kidding that it's a slow process to run them all!  My first try resulted in a bunch of error messages that the app couldn't find the SAH file (?!).  I'm trying a couple of things differently (with a fresh download), so I hope it will work this time.

Offline Urs Echternacht

• Volunteer Developer
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
  • ++
Here is my first computation error with rev.2.2: a 0xc0000005 !
Just one thing: the KWSN_2.2_SSE_Ben-Joe.pdb file that came with the executable is not used in the Windows Runtime Debugger. What to do to have it used next time ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2007, 10:48:27 pm by Urs Echternacht »
_\|/_
U r s

Ronon Dex

With the (SSSE3-Core2) Rev 1.41 it was sometimes that I had invalid results...
(When I remember correct, this were only with "normal/good" crunching WUs)

Since I have the (SSSE3-Core2) Rev 2.2 running I have two invalid results...
But "only":
SETI@Home Informational message -9 result_overflow
NOTE: The number of results detected exceeds the storage space allocated.

...results.

O.K., I got a few "overflow"- WUs, so around 30.
So it's "only" ~7 % mistakes... ;)

So the mistakes like with Rev 1.41 are away that sometimes the good crunched WUs don't get Credits?
But the new app have now maybe sometimes problems with the "overflow"- WUs?

Hey! It's not a big problem! :)

I wanted only to inform you! ;)
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2007, 10:48:39 pm by Ronon Dex »

BenHer

Hmm...maybe Joe's fixes increased the accuracy too much  :o

No..really...if Joe's fixes give more accurate results and more precision on some sin/cos & angle results, then it might cause mis-compares with the standard application.   The more accurate reusult would be better science, but would fail in validating against other clients.

BenHer

To make further development and especially my task of re-synching it simpler, I'm posting a source archive of my current sources used to compile the 2.2 apps. Please use this as a base for further work, you'll make my life that much easier guys!

Simon,

I was looking around on the downloads area (both pre-release and regular) and didn't find any 2.2 source package.

Lord Asmodeus

Hi.

I have a problem with this new app, that I didn't have before with the 2.0. It takes too much resources, making my computer slow, and worse, I can't play a video or a videogame without having huge slowings. It seems that I'm not the only one (I'm from the hardware.fr forum and the Alliance Francophone). I tried to set my programs in realtime priority but it didn't change a thing.

I'm going back to 2.0

My configuration :

Intel E6600@3.4GHz watercooled
2*512Mo GEIL PC6400 C4
Asus P5B
Windows XP 32bit SP2
BOINC 5.4.11

Thanks for your comments.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
    • Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...its-the.net!
Asmodeus,

when the 2.2 apps ran, you said they used too much of your system resources.

Which exactly do you mean? On your system, the 2.2 apps should use quite a lot less RAM (~30M vs. ~65M) per running task. As far as slowing the rest of your computer down, that hasn't happened to me yet. Still, I don't crunch while gaming (not at all on my laptop), so your experience may differ.

All my systems running 2.2 are as responsive as they were before, no difference for me.

Please, some more detail!

Regards,
Simon.

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'

To make further development and especially my task of re-synching it simpler, I'm posting a source archive of my current sources used to compile the 2.2 apps. Please use this as a base for further work, you'll make my life that much easier guys!

Simon,

I was looking around on the downloads area (both pre-release and regular) and didn't find any 2.2 source package.

Hi Ben,

that would be because there isn't one online until now. Problem being, I'm in Vienna, and my compile system, the PD (having the current sources) isn't accessible anymore. Must have bluescreened on me or whatever. So it'll take me til the weekend to come up with a current source archive.

HTH,
Simon.

Ronon Dex

Hmm...maybe Joe's fixes increased the accuracy too much  :o

No..really...if Joe's fixes give more accurate results and more precision on some sin/cos & angle results, then it might cause mis-compares with the standard application.   The more accurate reusult would be better science, but would fail in validating against other clients.

Now I have with the "normal/good" WUs invalid results like with the "overflow"- WUs too... :(

If I understand you right, then it will be better to have an application what make not so correct results... but then I have better chances for valid results (Credits)?

Where I can get them? ;)

(If I remember right, in the time I used Crunch3rs apps I didn't had invalid results...
Or I didn't find them? ;)
Maybe, what he had done in other way?)
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 10:01:20 pm by Ronon Dex »

Ronon Dex

Simon,

you changed the application to Rev. 2.2A...?!
...you didn't said it! ;)
You changed the Features (yellow).

If you rename/extend the Version-name for the SSE3-Core2 app. and update the CPUID for the QX6700 (the red entries) too, I will be endless happy! ;)
When you have time! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Optimized SETI@Home Enhanced application
Optimizers: Ben Herndon, Josef Segur, Alex Kan, Simon Zadra
Version: Windows SSE3-Core2 32-bit based on seti V5.15 'Noo? No - Ni!'
Revision: R-2.2|xT|FFT:IPP_SSE3|Ben-Joe
CPUID: Intel Xeon 51xx 'Woodcrest'
CPUs: 1, cores: 4, threads: 1 cache: L1=32K, L2=4096K, L3=0K
Features: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3
speed: 2666 MHz -- read MB/s: L1=9939, L2=8501, RAM=5525
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 11:18:47 pm by Ronon Dex »

Lord Asmodeus

Asmodeus,

when the 2.2 apps ran, you said they used too much of your system resources.

Which exactly do you mean? On your system, the 2.2 apps should use quite a lot less RAM (~30M vs. ~65M) per running task. As far as slowing the rest of your computer down, that hasn't happened to me yet. Still, I don't crunch while gaming (not at all on my laptop), so your experience may differ.

All my systems running 2.2 are as responsive as they were before, no difference for me.

Please, some more detail!

Regards,
Simon.

It's not measurable (by definition BOINC use all the CPU time available), and it's not a problem of memory used. It is more like the priority isn't managed as it would be normally. Now there are more people with the same problem on my forum, they're affected no matter the program they use, even winamp. An other example that I can describe is when I launch BOINC after having stopped it, to watch a movie for example : for a few seconds my mouse is very very slow, it jumps from a point to another without the intermediate positions.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
Simon:

I have to report I have made the same observation as Asmodeus on my system.

Specifically when a new WU starts crunching, my mouse slows down, and moves jerkingly (can one say that) over the screen. If i listen to music with e.g. Winamp, or watch a movie with any movieplayer (BSplayer, VLC, WMP), the movie is interrupted for a few seconds, or it skips frames.  ???

Observing this, I have found that it matches exactly with BOINC starting a new WU. For the first few seconds of the WU everything is slowed (even typing in text) down, and then it normalizes. I guess its during the pre-WU benchmark that is done each time a WU starts.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2007, 10:01:39 am by KarVi »
A smile is the shortest distance between two peoble (Victor Borge).

Offline Simon

• Ni!
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
KarVi,

that sounds logical. However, 2.0B already did this as well, so I'm surprised it's causing more of a problem now than it was before. Still, something to look into.

As far as increasing rev number to 2.2A, yes, I did say I'd fix it and put updated archives in. I'm just not about to make a big fuss about cosmetical errors, and writing announcement threads etc...gets tiring ;)

I can't fix the CPUID table, that's something Ben will do probably. Since I can't give him a source archive til the weekend (check a few posts above), that may also still take some time.

Regards,
Simon.

Offline KarVi

• Alpha Tester
  • Knight Templar
Simon:

I didn't experience the problem with 2.0 apps., but its very noticeable now.

I wonder if any changes where made to the benchmark code? I recall something about something being changed, to make benchmarks more precise, so that it would pick the right crunching-code more often.

Its something that needs looked into, I think, since it gets annoying very fast.

I'm sticking with 2.2 for now, would hate to loose the speedup  ;)
A smile is the shortest distance between two peoble (Victor Borge).

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672