Forum > Discussion Forum

Recent Driver Cuda-safe Project List

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jason G:
Oh well, no 560's (without ti) or upcoming Keplers for them I guess.  I understand the attitude, I really do.  The old one works with the flawed code design, so why break it ? My answer to that of course is because it is flawed, so drives away users.  My only real fear is they'll leave it too late.

Jason

Richard Haselgrove:
Well, let's face it - the majority of users probably never suffer downclocking, or don't notice it if they do (the machine will boot normally next time they turn it on).

At GPUGrid, the tasks run for hours, and the scientists like them back within 24 hours (exch job is cascaded from a previous one, so they like to keep the chain moving). So I doubt many people are switching from project to project.

At PrimeGrid, the other place where the subject has come up recently, even the longer class of tasks only runs for 20 minutes on Juan's 560, so again there should never be any need for preemption.

Jason G:
Here's what it comes down to in the medium-longer term:

The deeper I've looked into the range of problem situations, the more it seems Microsoft, nVidia and all the other members of the Khronos Consortium really got things right for the 'bigger picture' (this time), and are seriously looking to the future.  Unfortunately, IMNSHO,  the GPGPU community has subsisted for so long on sloppy design & bodgy bandaid workarounds that the addition of true heterogeneous processing capability & secure virtualised environment is going to bring many tears along the way.

Richard Haselgrove:

--- Quote from: Jason G on 17 Nov 2011, 11:20:52 am ---...  the ... community has subsisted for so long on sloppy design & bodgy bandaid workarounds that the addition of true heterogeneous processing capability & secure virtualised environment is going to bring many tears along the way.

--- End quote ---

So unlike our own dear BOINC :P

Jason G:

--- Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on 17 Nov 2011, 11:40:55 am ---So unlike our own dear BOINC :P
--- End quote ---
  Now Now, stick to the topic please  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version