+- +-
Say hello if visiting :) by Gecko
11 Jan 2023, 07:43:05 pm

Seti is down again by Mike
09 Aug 2017, 10:02:44 am

Some considerations regarding OpenCL MultiBeam app tuning from algorithm view by Raistmer
11 Dec 2016, 06:30:56 am

Loading APU to the limit: performance considerations by Mike
05 Nov 2016, 06:49:26 am

Better sleep on Windows - new round by Raistmer
26 Aug 2016, 02:02:31 pm

Author Topic: x38g reports  (Read 126244 times)

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
Re: x38g reports
« Reply #45 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:03:14 pm »
Easy way? What's that? I've never seen such a thing. Nothing is easy for a n00b like me!   ;D

Easy way:
- Stop Boinc
- Drop the new exe, unzipped, into the project folder
- edit the MBCuda.aistub file in notepad
      - use the edit->replace function to replace all occurrances of x38g with x39c ,
      - [change the counts too if desired]
      - save & exit notepad
- run the aimerge.cmd batch file that resides in the project directory
- start Boinc & check task manager that x39c runs.

[Edit:] added mention of counts

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #46 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:46:24 pm »
Gawd I'm dumb. First I put the zipped file in, then I forgot the .exe at the end. Okay, now it's running the 39c build.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:59:24 pm »
Gawd I'm dumb. First I put the zipped file in, then I forgot the .exe at the end. Okay, now it's running the 39c build.
  Cheers.  If something happens with that one we should hopefully get a little more info... If not then it points straight to the code I dialled back for refinement.  Either way, I'll be going through the whole lot making things at least print the revised clock rate & location in the code if something detectable happens.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #48 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:07:39 pm »
I can't say how long I'm going to have to run this. Like I said, I hadn't rebooted for awhile and everything had started to slow down before it down clocked. I'll just let it run and see.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #49 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:15:55 pm »
Just noticed something Perryjay:   The stderr task output indicates a core clock of 900MHz.  Firstly, is that correct ? and what core voltage is that set to ? (assuming you have a monitor/OC tool such as MSI afterburner installed)

Jason

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #50 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
Yes, I'm OCed to 900/1800/1804  I have CPUID Hardware Monitor. The only voltage I find with that is  VINO 1.11v. Is that what you mean? I can go looking for MSI Afterburner if you want.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #51 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:44:34 pm »
Nah that's fine, thanks.  Just mostly wanted to see if the clock was reporting correctly.  Yeah 1.11V sounds like the core, and should be fine at 900MHz for that card, but it helps to have some reference if something turns up down the road.

Jason.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #52 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:55:20 pm »
Well, I got Afterburner but it doesn't show current voltage in the little window. Guess you have to move the slide to show anything and that I am not going to do.   ;D

Oh, sorry bout not mentioning the over clock. I have mentioned it so many times before I just figured you knew. Dumb move on my part again!

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #53 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:57:23 pm »
LoL, give us a screenshot before moving any sliders, if you could  :D

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #54 on: 24 Jun 2011, 10:27:25 am »
Jason, does this new build do anything about clearing up the -12 issue? I just found this WU marked invalid, too many bugs. http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=764389127  I was the only one running the V 0.38g and the only one to complete it without getting -12.

Offline Josef W. Segur

• Janitor o' the Board
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:22:09 pm »
Jason, does this new build do anything about clearing up the -12 issue? I just found this WU marked invalid, too many bugs. http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=764389127  I was the only one running the V 0.38g and the only one to complete it without getting -12.

AFAIK x38g and x32f have the same improvements relative to triplet handling, they allow 1 more than stock before committing suicide. Of the 3 triplets found, two must have been in the same array; stock fails on that, x3xx Lunatics doesn't.
                                                           Joe

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jun 2011, 04:27:16 pm »

AFAIK x38g and x32f have the same improvements relative to triplet handling, they allow 1 more than stock before committing suicide. Of the 3 triplets found, two must have been in the same array; stock fails on that, x3xx Lunatics doesn't.
                                                           Joe
  Yep, that's Joe's extension, which continues to serve very well.   Ultimately, I have as a goal to converge CPU & GPU results as much as possible/practical/reasonable, even though the nature of floating point arithmetic & the hardware it is executed on pretty much guarantees some amount of variation when different algorithms are used for the same set of computations.  That means several of the GPU kernels will end up being reengineered to some degree, and in the meantime can expose cross-platform limitations that were instilled in the original CPU code as well (as with spikes accuracy) due to not having forseen that vastly different hardware would one day be trying to match results. 

This kindof juggling is proving to have annoying side effects for the interim period, though my hope is that when seti@home V7.x is released, that the intermediate pain will have proved worthwhile, even if there are still wrinkles to iron out.

One thing to keep in mind, with classical control system redundancy techniques like this used in 'real' systems like aircraft, is that the redundancy is usually specified to have different authors & hardware manufacturers, and that they must agree within accepted variation.   With the inconclusives & subsequent reissues we are seeing even between results that look pretty much the same to all external visible features, we are seeign that validation mechanism 'working' as it should.

My current standing is that we are seeing legacy application limitations in combination with new hardware variations add up to 'a circus' of marginally close answers.    I feel that the base design change decisions for legacy work & the intent to converge cross platform results moving into V7 will prove the right direction, though I am also certain that some new architectures present further difficulties yet to be divined.

Jason
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2011, 04:32:53 pm by Jason G »

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #57 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:16:14 pm »
Jason, in case you miss it in the NC forum, I've decided to go back to two at a time. Not long after I posted over there I started getting sluggish again. No down clock but everything running very slow. I shut down Firefox but no change, so I also shut down Thunderbird. Still nothing so I shut down SETI and closed BOINC manager. When I restarted BM and SETI everything came back to normal. I let it run for awhile with no problem but I get the feeling my little 450 doesn't like running three work units at a time 24/7. It seems to like to take a little break every now and again. I'll see how it likes two at a time again and let you know how it goes.

Offline Jason G

• Construction Fraggle
  • Knight who says 'Ni!'
« Reply #58 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:18:09 pm »
OK, no worries.  Responded over there.  If it happens with 2 as well we might have to dig at that as well, though is probably just related to things that need to be done next anyway.

Offline perryjay

• Knight Templar
« Reply #59 on: 26 Jun 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
Well over 24 hours now and everything is going along great. Guess I was just pushing the limit by running three at a time.

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
Members
Total Members: 97
Latest: ToeBee
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 59559
Total Topics: 1672